GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[CONSOLE] 3DS Preview"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/01/11 at 10:34
"possibly impossible"
On March 25th Nintendo will release their latest handheld console and the successor to the DS series.

The 3DS will be the second 3D handheld to hit the market, the first being the Nintendo Virtual Boy, which had major issues with inducing headaches and very little support.

The console differs from previous Nintendo consoles in that it now has an analogue stick on the top left of the control section. Below this is the D-pad, with standard A,B,X,Y buttons on the right (presumably to keep Backward Compatibility with DS and Gameboy titles)

Price is being set by the retailer, rather than Nintendo and the average prices so far are £219.99 online and £229.99 in store.

Screens
Once again the console will have 2 screens, just as with the DS, and the bottom screen will be touch sensitive. The top screen will be larger than the DSi but smaller than the XL.

The top screen is in 3D and there is a slider on the side to change from 2D to 3D and to increase or decrease the amount of 3D effect in order to make it comfortable.

Cameras
2 Cameras on the outside allow for taking 3D pictures, which you can mess about with using the included photo editing software. A single camera on the inside allows you to take self portraits and use games that have motion sensors such as the Warioware which appeared on the DSi Ware site.

Graphics
Although no official specs have been released, on first sight the graphics are on a par with the last generation of consoles (PS2, Xbox and Gamecube), possibly seeming more powerful due to the smaller screen and therefore having a lower resolution to cope with.

Downloads
As per the DSi and DS XL the console will have an SD card slot, allowing SD and SDHC cards to be used. This can be for photos, 3D videos and games downloaded from the new online store.

The game store promises a bunch of classic Gameboy and Gameboy colour games, as well as some new titles that Nintendo are preparing for launch.

3D videos will come from Ardman Animations who will provide small Shawn the Sheep download episodes, Eurosport and a deal with Sky to provide content.

Connectivity
The WIFI built in to the machine will use Spot Pass and Street Pass as an always-on system that even works while the machine is in sleep mode.

In the UK, Spot Pass connects to BT Fon hotspots even when in sleep mode (no word on whether you need to pay for the Fon hotspots or not). Little light on outside to show when new content (game downloads, video content, news etc)

With Street Pass 3DS automatically exchanges information (game information) with other players even in sleep mode and Mii Characters get exchanged with people you pass and where they come from. Can be used to play against them automatically.

In addition, games companies are already using the Street Party mode to swap stats, allow for ad hoc games and other social features. Capcom have presented a system for Street Fighter IV 3DS that allows automated fights between trophies you earn in the game when you pass someone else who owns the game.

Battery
Using a Lithium Ion battery (as per the DS), you can recharge using the same lead as the DSi. The big difference is that the expected battery life is only 5 hours on low brightness and less if the brightness is turned up (and presumably if WIFI is used more often).

It's one feature that may prevent many from becoming early adopters, but we'll wait to find out whether it can be increased.

Single Friend Codes
The DS and Wii have different friend codes for some games, annoying many online gamers. 3DS only has one Friend Code needed for online play, no matter what one game.

As with XBL or PSN the connected players list can show what the friend is playing and when they were online.

Pre-loaded Software
(all compatible with Street Pass)
- Activity Log - tells you time played, places played etc
- 3D camera tools, mess about with your 3D pics
- Augmented Reality tools, card included to place on a surface.
- Mii Maker - like on the Wii, but can use a camera to take a
picture
with your face used to make the Mii.
- Face Raiders game
- Enhanced Internet Browser and E-Shop (downloadable after
launch)

My Thoughts
I'm usually all over any new Nintendo handheld launch, but there are a few issues which stand in the way of the 3DS.

First is the price; it's more expensive than any other Nintendo launch handheld and, as shown with the PSP Go, price can be a sticking point for sales.

Secondly, a warning has been issued to parents of young children that the 3D screen may be harmful to their eyes because it may affect how their eyes develop. It does make you wonder how bad it might be for adult eyes too.

Lastly is the battery life. At 5 hours on low brightness, will this be enough to keep gamers happy or will it be another Atari Lynx?

Despite all these points, this is still a new Nintendo handheld that happens to have some stunning graphics and finally a single Friend Code system with what could be the most robust online yet to come from Nintendo.

We will have to wait and see how the price point works against sales, but from initial pre-order figures it does look like it's still going to be another huge seller for Nintendo come the end of March.
Thu 10/02/11 at 14:13
"The Videogame King"
Warhunt wrote:
Thought more people would be interested in this. It's a good review and a hot subject at the moment.

I for one am very interested in this product. I had never even heard of the 3DS until I read this review.
Thu 10/02/11 at 12:06
Regular
"eat toast!"
Personally i would sit and watch as until i see for myself, i'm not going to give it any attention. Yes, yes they said that the 3DS will be so crammed with features that there isn't room for improvement, but frankly i'm unconvinced. They will eventually release something else or a better model to milk the crowd. They released multipe versions of the GBA and DS and i can't see this trend not carrying on.

One of the biggest annoyances is that now that i can't import games as they won't work. Now honestly, this is just crap. From the GBA and DS, Europe have have missed out on some very interesting and desireable games that a dedicated gamer like myself would very much like. I was perfectly happy to import games from the US or JP if they were worth the effort and the fact it wasn't region locked, i could do it.

Now they decide to region lock it.Now all those games are locked out. Yes, you want to prevent people getting the game early and you want to stop importing and getting stuff early (or maybe to stop piracy i don't know). My question is this: WHY. Why should it matter where i get the game/console at the end of the day, if i buy from the shop, in japan, in america and nintendo get a slice of the profits, why should you care who buys it? Are you worried that it might fall into terrorist hands, hackers or douche bags that will cause your product to fail? Or is it because you can command bigger asking prices in those countries. Oh there is the issue of voltage issues and plugs, but i've got a Red/Black DS from america and using a travel charger so there.

Now more pressing matters is the hardware. 3D without glasses is the right step. But until i see for myself the 3d, i'm not going to be convicned it works and will be another feature i'll turn off.
Thu 10/02/11 at 10:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Thought more people would be interested in this. It's a good review and a hot subject at the moment.
Mon 24/01/11 at 10:34
"possibly impossible"
On March 25th Nintendo will release their latest handheld console and the successor to the DS series.

The 3DS will be the second 3D handheld to hit the market, the first being the Nintendo Virtual Boy, which had major issues with inducing headaches and very little support.

The console differs from previous Nintendo consoles in that it now has an analogue stick on the top left of the control section. Below this is the D-pad, with standard A,B,X,Y buttons on the right (presumably to keep Backward Compatibility with DS and Gameboy titles)

Price is being set by the retailer, rather than Nintendo and the average prices so far are £219.99 online and £229.99 in store.

Screens
Once again the console will have 2 screens, just as with the DS, and the bottom screen will be touch sensitive. The top screen will be larger than the DSi but smaller than the XL.

The top screen is in 3D and there is a slider on the side to change from 2D to 3D and to increase or decrease the amount of 3D effect in order to make it comfortable.

Cameras
2 Cameras on the outside allow for taking 3D pictures, which you can mess about with using the included photo editing software. A single camera on the inside allows you to take self portraits and use games that have motion sensors such as the Warioware which appeared on the DSi Ware site.

Graphics
Although no official specs have been released, on first sight the graphics are on a par with the last generation of consoles (PS2, Xbox and Gamecube), possibly seeming more powerful due to the smaller screen and therefore having a lower resolution to cope with.

Downloads
As per the DSi and DS XL the console will have an SD card slot, allowing SD and SDHC cards to be used. This can be for photos, 3D videos and games downloaded from the new online store.

The game store promises a bunch of classic Gameboy and Gameboy colour games, as well as some new titles that Nintendo are preparing for launch.

3D videos will come from Ardman Animations who will provide small Shawn the Sheep download episodes, Eurosport and a deal with Sky to provide content.

Connectivity
The WIFI built in to the machine will use Spot Pass and Street Pass as an always-on system that even works while the machine is in sleep mode.

In the UK, Spot Pass connects to BT Fon hotspots even when in sleep mode (no word on whether you need to pay for the Fon hotspots or not). Little light on outside to show when new content (game downloads, video content, news etc)

With Street Pass 3DS automatically exchanges information (game information) with other players even in sleep mode and Mii Characters get exchanged with people you pass and where they come from. Can be used to play against them automatically.

In addition, games companies are already using the Street Party mode to swap stats, allow for ad hoc games and other social features. Capcom have presented a system for Street Fighter IV 3DS that allows automated fights between trophies you earn in the game when you pass someone else who owns the game.

Battery
Using a Lithium Ion battery (as per the DS), you can recharge using the same lead as the DSi. The big difference is that the expected battery life is only 5 hours on low brightness and less if the brightness is turned up (and presumably if WIFI is used more often).

It's one feature that may prevent many from becoming early adopters, but we'll wait to find out whether it can be increased.

Single Friend Codes
The DS and Wii have different friend codes for some games, annoying many online gamers. 3DS only has one Friend Code needed for online play, no matter what one game.

As with XBL or PSN the connected players list can show what the friend is playing and when they were online.

Pre-loaded Software
(all compatible with Street Pass)
- Activity Log - tells you time played, places played etc
- 3D camera tools, mess about with your 3D pics
- Augmented Reality tools, card included to place on a surface.
- Mii Maker - like on the Wii, but can use a camera to take a
picture
with your face used to make the Mii.
- Face Raiders game
- Enhanced Internet Browser and E-Shop (downloadable after
launch)

My Thoughts
I'm usually all over any new Nintendo handheld launch, but there are a few issues which stand in the way of the 3DS.

First is the price; it's more expensive than any other Nintendo launch handheld and, as shown with the PSP Go, price can be a sticking point for sales.

Secondly, a warning has been issued to parents of young children that the 3D screen may be harmful to their eyes because it may affect how their eyes develop. It does make you wonder how bad it might be for adult eyes too.

Lastly is the battery life. At 5 hours on low brightness, will this be enough to keep gamers happy or will it be another Atari Lynx?

Despite all these points, this is still a new Nintendo handheld that happens to have some stunning graphics and finally a single Friend Code system with what could be the most robust online yet to come from Nintendo.

We will have to wait and see how the price point works against sales, but from initial pre-order figures it does look like it's still going to be another huge seller for Nintendo come the end of March.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.