GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] James Bond 007: Blood Stone"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'James Bond 007: Blood Stone'.
Mon 24/01/11 at 08:42
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
From the seaborne figure of Ursula Andress to the blonde-Bonds of recent years, 007 has always been a cinema icon. Over in gaming, the famous spy introduced us to GoldenEye, a modern classic which even now is held in dizzyingly high regard. Since then, console releases have grown more niche; hit-or-miss efforts by different developers, each trying to live up to the name. Enter Blood Stone, the latest game to star James Bond from the ill-fated Bizarre Creations. An all star cast and original story may give this game a running start; but will the finished product be leaving you shaken, or just feeling a little stirred?

In the shadow of the brilliant Everything or Nothing, Blood Stone ditches the first person shooting in favour of a lesser used third-person view. This allows for cover based shoot-outs, basic platforming and of course the ability to see James Bond (it's Daniel Craig!) It all makes for a filmic flare which looks and feels like your playing in a Bond movie. The opening level is a tour-de-force; an introduction to the pacey gunfights and vehicle chases which make up the mainstay of the adventure. The difficulty soon begins to crank up; revealing a linear yet tense experience, charged with action and interesting variety. It's truly exciting and solidly crafted; a game which although at times derivative, is just as delighting as it's cinema forebears.

Free from the chains of a tie-in film licence, Blood Stone is free to weave it's own plot for a suitably globe trotting Bond to follow. The threat of attack on the G-20 Summit forces MI6 to send Bond to Athens; where a terrorist ring is feared to be operating. A few explosions later and their leader is confronted, where James discovers a deeper plot of kidnappings and bio-weapons. Cue a twisting yet customary story of Bond girls and evil Russians, laced with the sort of style and banter that you'd expect from our favourite spy. It's all in tune with the feel of the films; and seeing as it was penned by screenwriter Bruce Feirstein, the comparison is a valid one. Moreover, the vocal talents of Daniel Craig, Judy Dench and Joss Stone are on display with expected professionalism; adding even further to the sense of a story worthy of it's namesake. It may not be the deepest or most engaging tale Bond has found himself in, but it's stylish flair and occasional twists are more than enough to propel the game from shootout to shootout.

The action is, of course, the backbone of the adventure. Set-piece after set-piece, the game is forever pushing you forward to new locations and floods of enemies. With the tap of a button to get into cover; hostiles are dispatched by quick bursts of fire and attempting to flank their often average AI. The controls may not be a standard layout, but the nature of the game is instantly familiar and thus can quickly be mastered by most. That said, later levels see a rise in the challenge, and the few original ideas in the game become a bit more than just a novelty. Most evident of these is the 'focus aim' system; or the ability to finish a foe with a single guaranteed shot. Focus aims are gained by melee take-downs, such as stealth killing an enemy or running to them for a swift fist fight. Up to three focus aims can be kept at one time; and whilst their use is is always entirely optional, they can help a great deal during more frantic battles. Also to your aid is Bond's Smart Phone; which is sadly the only gadget you can use in the game. Opening the phone casts the screen in a green haze; revealing the location of objectives and enemies hidden within the nearby location. It can also be used to find scattered collectibles; detailing back-story or snippets of information. Other than this, the core mechanics of the cover shooting are workable if unoriginal; providing bursts of hurried excitement whilst remaining knowingly commonplace.

Thankfully, chapters are occasionally broken up with suitably breakneck driving sections. These are in many ways the highlight of the game; providing not only a break from the shooting, but some of the game's most memorable moments. As expected from the makers of Project Gotham; driving is smooth and intensely precise; with Bond's little runabouts supplying real speed and a profound sense of satisfaction. Additionally, such driving scenes are amongst the most energized in the game; with countless explosions and boastful effects dazzling the screen with cinematography. Indeed, so good as these sections that their only downfall is that should have been more of them. As they stand, these levels are the ones that will keep you playing; they are thrilling journeys through the game's many colourful locations.

These locations are, for the most part, sharp and detailed in the ways we have come to expect. They may not be stunning or even high quality; but their level of polish is at best workable; providing a backdrop of buildings and landscapes to run and gun your way through. Character models could be described as irregular; characters might look like the actors in question; but their facial features are a definite low point. This is a contrast to the driving levels, which yet again rise above with shiny textures and pleasing effects. Ultimately though, Blood Stone is aesthetically inconsistent; it's never bad enough to complain about, yet seldom good enough for special mention. It does however manage to look like a Bond set; an achievement which, whilst serenaded by the iconic theme tune, is sure to make you forget it's shortfalls.

All in all, 007: Blood Stone is a well paced adventure which is sure to excite most fans of James Bond. For everyone else, whilst the game is good; it is a clear mixed bag of ideas and ambition, leaving an experience which is fun if little else. The short campaign might be awash with replay value; but the incentive to do so will certainly depend on your own enjoyment of the gameplay. Unlockable difficulties unfortunately add little, and the tacked-on multiplayer is surely nothing noteworthy. That said, Blood Stone is enjoyable and tense; a cinematic ride through one of film's most adored franchises. The feel of the movies is the game's main triumph; and so for anyone wishing they could be James Bond, Blood Stone is a choice which should not be overlooked.

7/10
Fri 28/01/11 at 21:39
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
Thanks Sonic Chris.

pete_21, sorry to hear you had a bad time with the online; though unfortunately it's a common occurrence with these afterthought-esque Multiplayer modes. It always makes me wonder why they add them in the first place, seeing as the single player is usually solid, as with Blood Stone and many others.
Fri 28/01/11 at 18:37
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:
This made me laugh quite abit for some reason.

Not as much as I did trying to play the damn thing!.It is quite possibly the stupidest feature that I have ever seen in a game.If you are running and press the melee button nothing happens at all,you actually have to stop first.Not only that you consistently miss due to either the horrendous lag or the games awful hit detection and just end up looking like you are having a stroke! As I said though the single player campaign is good fun and overall I would agree with the score given in this review.
Fri 28/01/11 at 15:11
Regular
"How Ironic"
Great review TezChi

pete_21 wrote:
One of the games I played (in the underground tunnel map) was basically a load of people standing still frantically waving their arm about...

This made me laugh quite abit for some reason.
Thu 27/01/11 at 22:15
Regular
"I like turtles"
Finally got a few games on the multiplayer this evening and have to say I thought it was garbage.Lag was awful as was the games appalling hit detection.I seemed to be getting kills even when I was pretty sure that I had missed? Again that could be down to lag I suppose as it was really bad.I'd say it was the worst I have experienced on a game in quite a while.But all this seems relatively minor compared to games utterly useless melee feature,who on earth decided to make a game where you can only melee when standing still? One of the games I played (in the underground tunnel map) was basically a load of people standing still frantically waving their arm about obviously hoping an opponent might accidentally run into it! I did enjoy the single player campaign though and as those fools at CEX are willing to give me £2 less than a paid for it a couple of weeks ago I reckon it would rude not to pop in and see them this weekend :)
Tue 25/01/11 at 18:18
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
Thanks guys! Most appreciated. pete_21, it does feel unfinished in some places your right, although mostly aesthetically I feel. Pb, if you pick it up at the right price, I am sure there's a good amount of enjoyment to be had, especially considering Bizarre Creations rather premature cut off from Activision!
Tue 25/01/11 at 14:24
"possibly impossible"
Another great review TezChi.

I've yet to play the copy of Goldeneye waiting for me on the Wii, so by the time I get aroudn to Blood Stone it should be on budget.

Sounds fun though!
Mon 24/01/11 at 16:43
Regular
"I like turtles"
I'm playing through this at the moment. It's good fun and as you quite rightly pointed out it does do a very good job of recreating the feel of a Bond movie. Did you think it looked a little unfinished in places though? Perhaps Activision forced Bizarre Creations into releasing an unfinished game so it could hit the shops in time for Christmas ? I'm also finding the on screen prompts (press B to climb,A to drop etc.) make the gameplay feel a little mechanical in places.Not withstanding that I picked it up for £14 and it was well worth getting at that price IMO.

Nice review BTW :)
Mon 24/01/11 at 08:42
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
From the seaborne figure of Ursula Andress to the blonde-Bonds of recent years, 007 has always been a cinema icon. Over in gaming, the famous spy introduced us to GoldenEye, a modern classic which even now is held in dizzyingly high regard. Since then, console releases have grown more niche; hit-or-miss efforts by different developers, each trying to live up to the name. Enter Blood Stone, the latest game to star James Bond from the ill-fated Bizarre Creations. An all star cast and original story may give this game a running start; but will the finished product be leaving you shaken, or just feeling a little stirred?

In the shadow of the brilliant Everything or Nothing, Blood Stone ditches the first person shooting in favour of a lesser used third-person view. This allows for cover based shoot-outs, basic platforming and of course the ability to see James Bond (it's Daniel Craig!) It all makes for a filmic flare which looks and feels like your playing in a Bond movie. The opening level is a tour-de-force; an introduction to the pacey gunfights and vehicle chases which make up the mainstay of the adventure. The difficulty soon begins to crank up; revealing a linear yet tense experience, charged with action and interesting variety. It's truly exciting and solidly crafted; a game which although at times derivative, is just as delighting as it's cinema forebears.

Free from the chains of a tie-in film licence, Blood Stone is free to weave it's own plot for a suitably globe trotting Bond to follow. The threat of attack on the G-20 Summit forces MI6 to send Bond to Athens; where a terrorist ring is feared to be operating. A few explosions later and their leader is confronted, where James discovers a deeper plot of kidnappings and bio-weapons. Cue a twisting yet customary story of Bond girls and evil Russians, laced with the sort of style and banter that you'd expect from our favourite spy. It's all in tune with the feel of the films; and seeing as it was penned by screenwriter Bruce Feirstein, the comparison is a valid one. Moreover, the vocal talents of Daniel Craig, Judy Dench and Joss Stone are on display with expected professionalism; adding even further to the sense of a story worthy of it's namesake. It may not be the deepest or most engaging tale Bond has found himself in, but it's stylish flair and occasional twists are more than enough to propel the game from shootout to shootout.

The action is, of course, the backbone of the adventure. Set-piece after set-piece, the game is forever pushing you forward to new locations and floods of enemies. With the tap of a button to get into cover; hostiles are dispatched by quick bursts of fire and attempting to flank their often average AI. The controls may not be a standard layout, but the nature of the game is instantly familiar and thus can quickly be mastered by most. That said, later levels see a rise in the challenge, and the few original ideas in the game become a bit more than just a novelty. Most evident of these is the 'focus aim' system; or the ability to finish a foe with a single guaranteed shot. Focus aims are gained by melee take-downs, such as stealth killing an enemy or running to them for a swift fist fight. Up to three focus aims can be kept at one time; and whilst their use is is always entirely optional, they can help a great deal during more frantic battles. Also to your aid is Bond's Smart Phone; which is sadly the only gadget you can use in the game. Opening the phone casts the screen in a green haze; revealing the location of objectives and enemies hidden within the nearby location. It can also be used to find scattered collectibles; detailing back-story or snippets of information. Other than this, the core mechanics of the cover shooting are workable if unoriginal; providing bursts of hurried excitement whilst remaining knowingly commonplace.

Thankfully, chapters are occasionally broken up with suitably breakneck driving sections. These are in many ways the highlight of the game; providing not only a break from the shooting, but some of the game's most memorable moments. As expected from the makers of Project Gotham; driving is smooth and intensely precise; with Bond's little runabouts supplying real speed and a profound sense of satisfaction. Additionally, such driving scenes are amongst the most energized in the game; with countless explosions and boastful effects dazzling the screen with cinematography. Indeed, so good as these sections that their only downfall is that should have been more of them. As they stand, these levels are the ones that will keep you playing; they are thrilling journeys through the game's many colourful locations.

These locations are, for the most part, sharp and detailed in the ways we have come to expect. They may not be stunning or even high quality; but their level of polish is at best workable; providing a backdrop of buildings and landscapes to run and gun your way through. Character models could be described as irregular; characters might look like the actors in question; but their facial features are a definite low point. This is a contrast to the driving levels, which yet again rise above with shiny textures and pleasing effects. Ultimately though, Blood Stone is aesthetically inconsistent; it's never bad enough to complain about, yet seldom good enough for special mention. It does however manage to look like a Bond set; an achievement which, whilst serenaded by the iconic theme tune, is sure to make you forget it's shortfalls.

All in all, 007: Blood Stone is a well paced adventure which is sure to excite most fans of James Bond. For everyone else, whilst the game is good; it is a clear mixed bag of ideas and ambition, leaving an experience which is fun if little else. The short campaign might be awash with replay value; but the incentive to do so will certainly depend on your own enjoyment of the gameplay. Unlockable difficulties unfortunately add little, and the tacked-on multiplayer is surely nothing noteworthy. That said, Blood Stone is enjoyable and tense; a cinematic ride through one of film's most adored franchises. The feel of the movies is the game's main triumph; and so for anyone wishing they could be James Bond, Blood Stone is a choice which should not be overlooked.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.