GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Sonic Colours"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sonic Colours'.
Tue 11/01/11 at 16:05
"possibly impossible"
Sonic has had a bit of a rough ride of late. The Sonic Adventure games didn’t go down so well as a Download, his other entries in 3D have been forgettable and the only good thing about Sonic’s growing list of friends is probably the boost to his Facebook image.

So I approached Sonic Colours with some trepidation. Another 3D game on the Wii, was Sega wise to try again or was is just another foolhardy idea? Well, it seems someone knew what they were doing for once.

Sonic is joined by Tails for this adventure. There’s no Amy, no Big the Cat and no ever increasing cast of characters to get in the way. Eggman has opened a new space-based fairground and Sonic, rightly, assumes he’s up to no good. Taking the express elevator into space, the pair investigate the rotund villain’s latest creation.

Cue speedy 3D and, yes, 2D levels, collecting coins, jumping on springy buttons and generally going as fast as a blue hedgehog can to get to the end of the level. In short, everything you want from a Sonic game. The 2D levels are typically traditional in layout, but still have a 2.5D twist, with Sonic often running around objects in the background. The 3D sections have you dodging left and right to avoid walls and collect coins, as well as homing in on enemies with a double tap of the jump button. This works far better in Colours than it did in previous Wii games and the feeling is that Sega have learnt from their mistakes with previous attempts at the homing attack.

It’s not all retro Sonic, though. There are new features in the form of wisps. These creatures, a little like the Chaos from Sonic Adventure, allow Sonic to gain a power like a laser beam or drill. The story soon puts them at the heart of the game and the levels start to reflect the various powers Sonic can gain. While all this Wisp stuff might have ended up stopping Sonic Colours flat in a lesser game, here it works with the feeling of speed and the level design, rather than against it. Finally the level designers have understood what makes a Sonic game work, and it isn’t warehogs or lite-RPGs.

As is the standard with Sonic, getting to the end of the level gives you a rating based on time taken and number of rings. Score-horders will love going back to get the top marks in a level and once completed they can all be played again via the hub system, which acts as the main menu to the game world, linking the themed levels together.

Even better than this, though, the levels are all decked in bright, colourful lights and neon pathways that make your eyes fill with tears, but in a good way. Some of the on-rails sections between levels are a beauty to behold, watching on a 40” TV with the best composite connection, the game could be mistaken for something on the PS3 or 360. Meld this with the fast paced action and constant switching between the dimensions (which never feels like a problem, thanks to the way the change is handled) and you have the best Sonic console game in ages.

There are the occasional levels, particularly later on, where things get a bit out of hand and you find yourself memorising the course off by heart just to avoid certain oddly placed objects, but then what would a game like this be without a challenge? Admittedly, sometimes the levels feel too frustrating though and completing them becomes a chore as you long for it to be over.
But for every one of these levels there are another few great ones, all of which can be replayed in any order once completed.

Being a Wii game, the controls are important here and you can choose from a Nunchuk and Wii Remote based combination or the standard Wii Remote on its side. While the D-Pad doesn’t give you quite the level of feedback that the analogue stick can, I still prefer it as my control option of choice. The important thing is, though, that both these methods work well and allow you the split second timing you need while travelling at high speed.

Sonic Colours represents all that is good about Sonic games and finally puts the blue hedgehog back on the home console map.

8/10
Tue 11/01/11 at 19:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nice review pb :)

Despite my name, I've not been a big follower of the Sonic series. Although I understand Sonic hasn't been too great on the Wii so far, as you've quite rightly pointed out.
Tue 11/01/11 at 17:06
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Nice review pb. Beat me to the punch. Was working on my review right now. Glad to see someone else liked this game too.
Tue 11/01/11 at 16:05
"possibly impossible"
Sonic has had a bit of a rough ride of late. The Sonic Adventure games didn’t go down so well as a Download, his other entries in 3D have been forgettable and the only good thing about Sonic’s growing list of friends is probably the boost to his Facebook image.

So I approached Sonic Colours with some trepidation. Another 3D game on the Wii, was Sega wise to try again or was is just another foolhardy idea? Well, it seems someone knew what they were doing for once.

Sonic is joined by Tails for this adventure. There’s no Amy, no Big the Cat and no ever increasing cast of characters to get in the way. Eggman has opened a new space-based fairground and Sonic, rightly, assumes he’s up to no good. Taking the express elevator into space, the pair investigate the rotund villain’s latest creation.

Cue speedy 3D and, yes, 2D levels, collecting coins, jumping on springy buttons and generally going as fast as a blue hedgehog can to get to the end of the level. In short, everything you want from a Sonic game. The 2D levels are typically traditional in layout, but still have a 2.5D twist, with Sonic often running around objects in the background. The 3D sections have you dodging left and right to avoid walls and collect coins, as well as homing in on enemies with a double tap of the jump button. This works far better in Colours than it did in previous Wii games and the feeling is that Sega have learnt from their mistakes with previous attempts at the homing attack.

It’s not all retro Sonic, though. There are new features in the form of wisps. These creatures, a little like the Chaos from Sonic Adventure, allow Sonic to gain a power like a laser beam or drill. The story soon puts them at the heart of the game and the levels start to reflect the various powers Sonic can gain. While all this Wisp stuff might have ended up stopping Sonic Colours flat in a lesser game, here it works with the feeling of speed and the level design, rather than against it. Finally the level designers have understood what makes a Sonic game work, and it isn’t warehogs or lite-RPGs.

As is the standard with Sonic, getting to the end of the level gives you a rating based on time taken and number of rings. Score-horders will love going back to get the top marks in a level and once completed they can all be played again via the hub system, which acts as the main menu to the game world, linking the themed levels together.

Even better than this, though, the levels are all decked in bright, colourful lights and neon pathways that make your eyes fill with tears, but in a good way. Some of the on-rails sections between levels are a beauty to behold, watching on a 40” TV with the best composite connection, the game could be mistaken for something on the PS3 or 360. Meld this with the fast paced action and constant switching between the dimensions (which never feels like a problem, thanks to the way the change is handled) and you have the best Sonic console game in ages.

There are the occasional levels, particularly later on, where things get a bit out of hand and you find yourself memorising the course off by heart just to avoid certain oddly placed objects, but then what would a game like this be without a challenge? Admittedly, sometimes the levels feel too frustrating though and completing them becomes a chore as you long for it to be over.
But for every one of these levels there are another few great ones, all of which can be replayed in any order once completed.

Being a Wii game, the controls are important here and you can choose from a Nunchuk and Wii Remote based combination or the standard Wii Remote on its side. While the D-Pad doesn’t give you quite the level of feedback that the analogue stick can, I still prefer it as my control option of choice. The important thing is, though, that both these methods work well and allow you the split second timing you need while travelling at high speed.

Sonic Colours represents all that is good about Sonic games and finally puts the blue hedgehog back on the home console map.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.