GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prey"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Prey'.
Mon 10/07/06 at 01:45
Regular
"Captain to you."
This game centres around an American Indian(?is that the correct term? Hope so) who is trying to leave the reservation and get out in to the rest of the world. But as he plans to leave, earth is attacked by aliens and he is abducted.

I'm trying not to give too much away of the story line so i have only included what happens within 5 minutes of playing.

Which way is up?
This in my opinion is the first true 3D FPS title, normally you would work on a plane where enemy and objects are on the same gravity to you, Prey takes this to the next stage with areas that contain different gravity.

It's hard to explain but you walk down a corridor and a door opens in front of you, you see the all in the next room, but once you step through that doorway that wall you saw is the floor of that room and when you look up you see the corridor you walked through above you.

The way this is used in the game is brilliant, as you don't just have to think about the normal directions of fire but also the orientation of the enemy and the objects they can use for cover around them.

Portals
The other great addition to the game is the use of portals, these handy transporters allow for the player to move around the game in quite a strange way, it's very rare in the game to stay on one path for long as there is always a portal to travel through to press a switch or open a door.
They are done very well and being able to interact through them makes them very useful(if there is a creature on the other side of the portal you can shoot them and they can shoot you, these aren’t just images they are proper links to other areas in the game.

Graphics
The graphics although based on the doom 3 engine are till in my opinion pretty nice, the use of organic textures within the engine is a good choice as they do look pretty realistic and as if they would be soft and wet to the touch.
The lighting is perfect, staying far enough away from the darkness that was doom 3 and settling somewhere close to quake 4 and it's lit but not too well lit corridors.

Sound
Like most FPS games 5.1 sound is required to get the most of the environment, with 2.1 you can never really be drawn in to the surroundings properly as you might miss the static on a monitor behind you or the footsteps of an enemy above you.

Weapons
There are quite a few weapons in the game and I personally feel that they are the weakest point of the game, there wasn't really a weapon that I preferred over others or thought this feels good, there are some pretty unique weapons like one that shoots blobs of liquid in to the air and suspends itself there and acts as a force field, or a shotgun style weapon that uses acid rather than shells.
There are no man made weapons in the game which I suppose is meant to say that they would be useless against the aliens but it's a shame the feel of the weapons they did make wasn't worked on more.

Overall
In all it's a good game, but i personally preferred Quake 4 that could just be me being a big quake fan but it seemed to be much more focused on a good feel to the game rather than the focus of Prey which was to impress with portal and gravity(which it did fantastically).
There are some good story line twists and although the idea behind it isn't completely original the way that the story plays out makes it very entertaining.

Rating: 8/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 10/07/06 at 01:45
Regular
"Captain to you."
This game centres around an American Indian(?is that the correct term? Hope so) who is trying to leave the reservation and get out in to the rest of the world. But as he plans to leave, earth is attacked by aliens and he is abducted.

I'm trying not to give too much away of the story line so i have only included what happens within 5 minutes of playing.

Which way is up?
This in my opinion is the first true 3D FPS title, normally you would work on a plane where enemy and objects are on the same gravity to you, Prey takes this to the next stage with areas that contain different gravity.

It's hard to explain but you walk down a corridor and a door opens in front of you, you see the all in the next room, but once you step through that doorway that wall you saw is the floor of that room and when you look up you see the corridor you walked through above you.

The way this is used in the game is brilliant, as you don't just have to think about the normal directions of fire but also the orientation of the enemy and the objects they can use for cover around them.

Portals
The other great addition to the game is the use of portals, these handy transporters allow for the player to move around the game in quite a strange way, it's very rare in the game to stay on one path for long as there is always a portal to travel through to press a switch or open a door.
They are done very well and being able to interact through them makes them very useful(if there is a creature on the other side of the portal you can shoot them and they can shoot you, these aren’t just images they are proper links to other areas in the game.

Graphics
The graphics although based on the doom 3 engine are till in my opinion pretty nice, the use of organic textures within the engine is a good choice as they do look pretty realistic and as if they would be soft and wet to the touch.
The lighting is perfect, staying far enough away from the darkness that was doom 3 and settling somewhere close to quake 4 and it's lit but not too well lit corridors.

Sound
Like most FPS games 5.1 sound is required to get the most of the environment, with 2.1 you can never really be drawn in to the surroundings properly as you might miss the static on a monitor behind you or the footsteps of an enemy above you.

Weapons
There are quite a few weapons in the game and I personally feel that they are the weakest point of the game, there wasn't really a weapon that I preferred over others or thought this feels good, there are some pretty unique weapons like one that shoots blobs of liquid in to the air and suspends itself there and acts as a force field, or a shotgun style weapon that uses acid rather than shells.
There are no man made weapons in the game which I suppose is meant to say that they would be useless against the aliens but it's a shame the feel of the weapons they did make wasn't worked on more.

Overall
In all it's a good game, but i personally preferred Quake 4 that could just be me being a big quake fan but it seemed to be much more focused on a good feel to the game rather than the focus of Prey which was to impress with portal and gravity(which it did fantastically).
There are some good story line twists and although the idea behind it isn't completely original the way that the story plays out makes it very entertaining.

Rating: 8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.