GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being Samus Aran"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Fri 28/03/03 at 11:33
Regular
So, the highly-anticipated Metroid Prime is finally here. Retro Studios' long-awaited next-installment to the `Metroid` series, after Super Metroid on the SNES, has now been out for one-whole-week, over here in Europe. And already it's topping-the-charts! We've had to wait nearly 6-months-longer than the Americans, just to get our hands on a PAL version of this game... And those of us who've played it, can hardly say it hasn't been worth that almost 'endless' wait.

If you've experienced the sensation of playing this "console-selling master-piece", then you'll just how great it feels to plays as and almost "become" Samus Aran, the bounty hunter, as you travel through space in search of those space pirates. Some would even go as far as to say that if feels even better playing as Ms.Aran, than it has done as Link in `Ocarina of Time`; Mario in 'SunShine; and even Samus herself, back in the classic Super Metroid - the game that really gave the series a name for itself. Like so many Nintendo games over the years, this first-person "action-adventure-exploration" (or just: "Metroid Prime"!) has been designed deeply that you have total-control over EVERYTHING Samus gets up to, in space.

But have you ever wondered what it'd really be like to actually 'be' Samus Aran....?

One of the first things you'll notice about the suits Samus wears throughout all of her space-explorations is that they're all integrated into herself, allowing her to gain full-control over all weapons and capabillities. Just look at her left-arm - with that great big cannon, in place of where any-other human-being's forearm, and right-hand, would be... Have you ever wondered how different it must feel to be able to operate such technology, without even having to pull a trigger? It could be as easy, for Samus, as simple pointing your finger out and thrusting-forwards, with the arm. However, I believe it feels more like errecting your middle-finger, and showing it off to what lies ahead of you, like it really means something serious! That arm-cannon, potentially, has a lot of power within it - and the effects each blast has on its target can hardly be compared to the effects any 'normal' person has on someone just by stretching the hand-digits out, here-and-there! I find it hard to believe Samus remains relaxed-and-calm when she fires into an enemy being's gut... You don't just stick your finger up at someone without any real reason, or feeling, now, do you!?
It has to 'mean' something... You give it your all.

I bet that the first time you re-discovered the morph-ball abillity, and saw Samus spin into a compact size for the round-casing; you couldn't understand how-on-Earth that could be humanely possible... I'm right, aren't I? Just imagine what it must feel like for Samus Aran - and how regularly she must make visits to her local chaeropractor... Do you really feel like a hamster, once inside? ...Rolling around aimlessly, knowing you are safe from the chemical dangers that trouble the world, today (or in her time), with bombs-galore, at the ready...! How does she do it, exactly? Would years of studying at Gymnastics-specific universities and colleges really help you to get a good spin going, like Samus' - even better than Sonic the hedgehog?! Who knows...
But I know it must feel good to know you can actually just curl up into a ball and just roll-away, like so many of us have wanted to do, during out lives!
And if anyone tries to chase-after you, or an obstacle lies-ahead, then you just lay a bomb, or-two, and *BOOM!*.... *BOOM!* - and you're free!

And as a suited-up heroine, thanks to her visors, and the HUD unit that appears infront of her very eyes; she will always know when trouble's near (looking at her Radar), and the alarm-bells would soon start ringing if she gets too-near to something that she shouldn't. Plus, just by flipping to a different screen, she's able to to heat-seek-out the bad-guys, and even see at night (for some late-night shopping, perhaps?) - BETTER than a bat can! Oh, and it also gives a bit of bit of 'protection' to the face, so she'll never have to worry about her mascera running. Just as long as she's in that suit.

Then there's the abillity to reach greater heights with a simple jump, using the power from behind (...no, not that 'power'!!)... And upgrades for each specific unit, like the missiles, different beams, and the spider-ball (which has no relation to Super Monkey Ball, but with spiders!).... And how could you forget the whole idea of "bustin' bad-guys", in outer-space... Is there anything this woman DOESN'T get to do?!?!

What could be more fun that being a a bounty hunter, integrated into a cyber-suit?!?

I tell ya, that Samus - she's one lucky gal!!
I'd give-up doing my A-levels any-day, just for the chane to do her job -- even if only for one-single-day.... What a way to live!
Tue 01/04/03 at 11:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
maddmun wrote:
"It's on her right arm, the grapple beam goes on the left arm..."

I blame NGC for that! Them and there front-covers and free-posters which are just... wrong! :P
Mon 31/03/03 at 16:38
Regular
Well, quoting it made it seem more like a triple post...
Mon 31/03/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> If you look at the the X-ray trailers and remember the older games
> you'll notice that her arm is actually IN the gun- the gun is part of
> the suit, and her arm is in the suit, so her arm is still there she
> just uses then hand like a trigger finger/hand(I think I remember
> reading somewhere she fires the gun by clenching her fist or moving
> her arm in certain ways), but the point is her arm and hand are still
> there, you just don't see them as they're always tucked safely away
> inside the suit.

Sorry about the double post.
Mon 31/03/03 at 12:23
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
If you look at the the X-ray trailers and remember the older games you'll notice that her arm is actually IN the gun- the gun is part of the suit, and her arm is in the suit, so her arm is still there she just uses then hand like a trigger finger/hand(I think I remember reading somewhere she fires the gun by clenching her fist or moving her arm in certain ways), but the point is her arm and hand are still there, you just don't see them as they're always tucked safely away inside the suit.
Mon 31/03/03 at 12:23
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
If you look at the the X-ray trailers and remember the older games you'll notice that her arm is actually IN the gun- thae gun is part of the suit, and her arm is in the suit, so her arm is still there she just uses then hand like a trigger finger/hand(I think I remember reading somewhere she fires the gun by clenching her fist or moving her arm in certain ways), but the point is her arm and hand are still there, you just don't see them as they're always tucked safely away inside the suit.
Sun 30/03/03 at 12:58
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I find Metroid rather amusing after playing it for 5 minutes:

"To open a locked door like this, shoot it."
Sat 29/03/03 at 16:11
Regular
Go to bed then you fool.
Damn, I tried typing there WITHOUT looking at the keyboard. I made too many mistakes.
Sat 29/03/03 at 12:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
*yawns*
Fri 28/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

> Just look at her left-arm - with that great big cannon,

It's on her right arm, the grapple beam goes on the left arm...
Fri 28/03/03 at 13:59
Regular
Yay. It's gone.

Thank bob for that

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.