GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USB help!?!?!?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/12/01 at 20:24
Regular
I have a problem of my ccomputer wont install my USB drivers (on motherboard) When I try to from the CD give to me, it says
ERROR: REGISTRY KEY
Does anyone know how to sort it?
Thanx
Wed 12/12/01 at 13:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
On a lighter note... I have USB working again on Linux (yey!)

Jesus this mouse is fast...
Mon 10/12/01 at 01:49
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
try going into the bios as some have USB turned off by defult
Sat 08/12/01 at 21:46
Regular
"How Handy."
Are they physically part of the motherboard or on a seperate card linked to it with cable??

If the cable option have you checked all the cabling??

If not, or the cable is OK, open the control panel and run the Add New Hardware wizard and see if that detects anything. If not, select that you'll chooose your hardware from a list then click Have Disk, select the driver disk and click OK, find the right driver in the list and click next. This should install the drivers? If not, trying to reinstall Win98 may be your only option.
Sat 08/12/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Get SiSoft Sandra (download.com) and see if it detects them. Otherwise they may be broken or not installed correctly.
Sat 08/12/01 at 19:27
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Windows doesnt even detect my USB ports, so I cant remove what I dont have to reinstall them. I cant use any USB device as Windows says I dont have any USB ports. And I have the drivers for them from the CD that came with the motherboard! They did work once, but then I had to reinstall windows after formatting my hard drive and they have never worked since! Ive also tried using another windows CD to install it!
Sat 08/12/01 at 02:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Trust me Andi, I thought that, but when I got Linux I was really surprised.

I too thought nothing could replace Windows, hate it as I do. However, when I finally got Linux online I was really surprised. It is actually rather good if you've got the right kit (and enough space). Sure, some programs Microsoft win on hands down, but Linux really excels in an awful lot of departments. For a start, it looks a damn sight prettier, is a hell of a lot faster and *very* stable. The software's also very spiffy, if you've got enough space (which I haven't, having as I do only a gig left). This isn't the time and the place to review linux, but you should try it. I'm not saying you'll never go back to Windows, just that you'll find yourself using it not quite as often.
Sat 08/12/01 at 02:04
Regular
"How Handy."
Nah, I couldnt live without Windows, it really actually has quite a lot going for it...
Sat 08/12/01 at 02:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Don't know bloody why. Linux was using USB even before I'd installed it! I could use my USB mouse during the install!

And another thing... Why does Windows INSIST on drivers for my hardware modem? The whole point of having a hardware modem is that you don't need bloody drivers for it. Debian is using my modem perfectly fine and I haven't told it ANYTHING about it or even installed anything to do with modems. ARGH! I really, really hate Windows. Linux is considered hard to install but compared to certain areas of Windows it's child's play.
Sat 08/12/01 at 01:43
Regular
"How Handy."
You do need drivers for the USB ports, just not usually for stuff you plug into them.

Try this:

Right click on your My Computer icon,
Go to device manager
find the USB ports in the big list (have a scout round it'll be there somewhere)
Check if it has an errors, if there are errors, posted them here and lets have a look, if not:
right click the ports and go to remove or delete or something
restart the computer

this should reinstall your drivers and probably solve your problem, if not registry tweaking is a very difficult and annoying thing to do

Sorry if any of these instructions are a bit unclear but I'm on XP on the moment and I cant be bothered turning on the other PC to check the stuff out.
Sat 08/12/01 at 01:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I presume you've checked to see if you've actually got USB ports. Anyway:

a) How did these drivers become missing?

b) Are you sure you actually need them? I don't think you should.

c) How are you installing these drivers?

d) Are they REALLY USB drivers for your motherboard, or just for something else?

e) Who told you you needed to install them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.