GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broken Controllers..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/12/01 at 18:28
Regular
I have had my N64 for some time now. Can’t remember exactly, but I must have got it the year or year after its UK release. Anyway, the first two official controllers I got when I got the system still work. The control sticks are not quite as good as they were, but still perfectly functional and working order. My competition pro N64 control, that I got free (thanks SR!) still works fine, but occasionally a button messes up and I have to put it on turbo, and back to normal, and it works fine again. Dunno why that is, but it’s only happened a couple of times.

Anyway, my brother got a PSX after I got my N64, (about two years after I think), and of the three (or possibly four, but I think three) controllers he has bought over the time he has had it only one is still working. One messed up and one button refused to work, and the rumble function kept doing one little rumble every once in a while for no apparent reason, even when rumble was off. Another has a few buttons (including the start button I think) broken, and some others won’t work, and the PSX won’t recognise that a controller is plugged in if you put that one in the port.

Now call me crazy, but how come all my controllers for N64 work fine and only one of my brother’s PSX controller’s works. I know for a fact that my N64 has seen more use than the PSX because I play my N64 quite a lot and he hardly ever touches the PSX and I very rarely do either. And the only multiplayer game we play on the PSX is Anna Kournikova Tennis, but multiplayer sessions are usually on the N64 with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart and Lylatwars. Up till now I have only given facts, but here is something I will probably get yelled at for.

Could it be that PSX controllers are not as well manufactured or as durable as N64 controllers are? If this is true, then surely PS2 controllers won’t be as good either? This may be true, or maybe my brother was just extraordinarily unlucky. Or maybe he just got frustrated and threw the controllers against a hard thing and they broke. If you have had any controller experiences I would be intrigued to see if anyone else has (or hasn’t as the case may be) had problems like this.
Wed 05/12/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I have had my N64 for some time now. Can’t remember exactly, but I must have got it the year or year after its UK release. Anyway, the first two official controllers I got when I got the system still work. The control sticks are not quite as good as they were, but still perfectly functional and working order. My competition pro N64 control, that I got free (thanks SR!) still works fine, but occasionally a button messes up and I have to put it on turbo, and back to normal, and it works fine again. Dunno why that is, but it’s only happened a couple of times.

Anyway, my brother got a PSX after I got my N64, (about two years after I think), and of the three (or possibly four, but I think three) controllers he has bought over the time he has had it only one is still working. One messed up and one button refused to work, and the rumble function kept doing one little rumble every once in a while for no apparent reason, even when rumble was off. Another has a few buttons (including the start button I think) broken, and some others won’t work, and the PSX won’t recognise that a controller is plugged in if you put that one in the port.

Now call me crazy, but how come all my controllers for N64 work fine and only one of my brother’s PSX controller’s works. I know for a fact that my N64 has seen more use than the PSX because I play my N64 quite a lot and he hardly ever touches the PSX and I very rarely do either. And the only multiplayer game we play on the PSX is Anna Kournikova Tennis, but multiplayer sessions are usually on the N64 with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart and Lylatwars. Up till now I have only given facts, but here is something I will probably get yelled at for.

Could it be that PSX controllers are not as well manufactured or as durable as N64 controllers are? If this is true, then surely PS2 controllers won’t be as good either? This may be true, or maybe my brother was just extraordinarily unlucky. Or maybe he just got frustrated and threw the controllers against a hard thing and they broke. If you have had any controller experiences I would be intrigued to see if anyone else has (or hasn’t as the case may be) had problems like this.
Wed 05/12/01 at 18:40
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I had similar problems with a shark pad I bought, the stick kept missaligning itself and then refused to work, so I got a replacement from SR and then after a few weeks the new pad started to missalign itself and then got a memory card stuck in it. So I took it back and paid a little extra to get an official pad which hasn't let me down since.
My american friend has the same problems with his shark pad, until someone dropped it on the floor and broke the 3d stick.
Wed 05/12/01 at 19:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
You can fix these problems with the official control pads..

... I remember I wrote a whole topic on how to clean your N64 control pad, as the reason it becomes to iffy to use and desnt offer the precision it once did is indeed just the dry sweat that has collected up in the cup of the control stick.

Topic was written in about July if you want to look back for it in chat.

May help a lot :-)
Wed 05/12/01 at 19:33
Regular
"Back For Good"
i never had any problems with my PS1 pads.
Wed 05/12/01 at 19:37
Regular
"everyone says it"
ResÆvilfan wrote:
> i never had any problems with my PS1 pads.

Very different pads... One was more precise.
Wed 05/12/01 at 21:03
tacky ps1 controllers, my NES and MAster system controllers still work perfectly!
Wed 05/12/01 at 21:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Maybe it's your bro's use of the controller????

Sonic
Wed 05/12/01 at 21:13
Regular
I have an easily fustrated brother. The N64 controller took various beatings ranging from when he died on Goldeneye, to when I bet him in multiplayer.
It wasn't affected.

He did manage to break one controller though.

He'd been playing Zelda for 2 hours since his last save.
There was a power cut.
He stood up and threw down the controller, rumble pack inside it...

The rumble pack snapped on the floor but the controller was intact. It didn't work anymore though.
Wed 05/12/01 at 21:32
Regular
I've never had any problems with my N64 controllers, i've thrown them around the room enough times but they all still work.
Wed 05/12/01 at 21:51
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'm not sure if it was my brothers treatment of the controllers. I'm not really sure if he hit them around much..

I cannot remember hitting my N64 controllers around much, but from what's been said here the official ones can take just about anything. oh, and thanks er-no, I may have to look into that and try it, as my competition pro controller (free courtesy of SR!) is getting a bit stiff.

Anyway it seems so far most people are agreeing that the N64 controllers can take a lot of punishment and (in most cases) survive.

Anyone disagree? Anyone got anything else to say about the PSX controllers and how much damage they can take?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.