GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Setting up Thunderbird with Freedom email account: HELP!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/12/10 at 21:03
Regular
I have been trying to set up my Freedom email account with Mozilla Thunderbird, but I am having no luck.

I can recive mail but when ever i try and send i get the error message

"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp-auth.freeola.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

I have set up my outgoing server as follows:

server name - smtp-auth.freeola.net
port - 465
connection security - SSL/TLS
authentication method - normal password

I feel like I have tried changing the settings a hundred times, each time getting a different error message!

I have also tried following the instructions given by Freeola, but they seem to be for a differnt or older version of Thunderbird as none of the instructions make sence.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance!
Tue 14/12/10 at 13:32
Regular
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I knew the answer would be right infront of my face somewhere, and it turns out it was!

Thanks to all who posted for helping out an idiot, you are indeed, good people.
Tue 14/12/10 at 11:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Open Thunderbird:

1) Go to "Tools" -> "Account Settings"
2) From the left hand menu select "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
3) On the right hand side select the default server from the list
NOTE(Remove any that are there other than default (unless you specifically need them or set them up))
4)Click "Edit"

5) Set details as below:

Description - Your choice, not important for working of account
Server Name - smtp-auth.freeola.net
Port - 2025

Security and Auth:
Connection Security - None
Authentication method - Encrypted Password
User Name - Unique to your account, although it will always begin with sr (example: sr0123456-001)

6) Press OK to save the settings.

7) From the left hand menu select the main setting option of your account (in most cases this will be the description you entered when putting in incoming details/the email address you used).
8) In this section find the "Outgoing Server" option from the right hand side and ensure the drop down menu is set to use the server you just edited (or just select "Use Deafult server").

This is a rough step by step, but we have since noticed that you are attempting to send mail from an address which is not with Freeola. You have an email address that is similar with us (assigned to Email Freedom) but not the 1348.com address.

You are attempting to send mail from [email protected] instead of [email protected].. which is with us according to our server logs.
Tue 14/12/10 at 11:08
Regular
Hey guys, I really appreciate your help with this, but I'm still not managing to send mail.

With my security set to none I have tried port 25 and 2025 but I am then getting the following error:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Relaying denied - This server requires Authentication. Please check the message recipient j****[email protected] and try again.

the @rocketmail is the address im trying to send the email to, If i try to send to a gmail account for example, that line just changes to @gmail.

If it helps, I am using the latest version of Thunderbird, I am not using Freeola as my ISP (I am using Virgin Media) and the address im using is set up as a freedom account.

Thanks so much for your help, this is my first time using both Thunderbird and a Freeola mail account so I'm glad there is someone on hand to guide a newbie through!
Tue 14/12/10 at 08:54
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
celery wrote:
port - 465

Both your port and security settings are incorrect. Assuming you are using the most up-to-date version of Thunderbird, these should be set to '25' and 'None' respectively. If your ISP is blocking port 25 (i.e. you are not using your Freeola internet connection) then you may find port 2025 works instead.

After making these changes you may well have to clear your 'Outbox' and restart the program to prevent any further issues.
Mon 13/12/10 at 23:41
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You can only use your Freeola e-mail accounts to send mail via out SMTP server. Your setup appears to be trying to send e-mail with the from address being a rocketmail one, which is not a Freeola address. You must also be using a Freeola connection or have E-mail Freedom active for the Freeola e-mail account you are trying to send from.
Mon 13/12/10 at 22:23
Regular
With my security set to "none" (there is not a "no" option) the port then sets itself to 25 (default) I then get the following error message

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Relaying denied - This server requires Authentication. Please check the message recipient j****[email protected] and try again.

Am I missing something?
Mon 13/12/10 at 21:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just had a quick look at your settings and compared them with Freeola's Thunderbird settings:

Security connection should be set to NO

and no port setting is mentioned :¬)

This may help....
Mon 13/12/10 at 21:03
Regular
I have been trying to set up my Freedom email account with Mozilla Thunderbird, but I am having no luck.

I can recive mail but when ever i try and send i get the error message

"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp-auth.freeola.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

I have set up my outgoing server as follows:

port - 465

I feel like I have tried changing the settings a hundred times, each time getting a different error message!

I have also tried following the instructions given by Freeola, but they seem to be for a differnt or older version of Thunderbird as none of the instructions make sence.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.