GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When the SNES ruled the world"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/12/01 at 19:13
Regular
What would you say is the greatest Console of all time, I don’t mean graphical capabilities, speed or power if I was then we would all shout X-box but the most revolutionary games console in the world that has given the world so many happy faces, the console that has single handedly changed the face of video games. Some of you might be thinking of the Playstation, many others and myself meanwhile will have the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in mind.

The good old days of gaming as some of us like to say. The days when Nintendo ruled the world and SEGA were just behind them. How those days are long gone now its Sony with its Playstation that sits firmly in the top spot of gaming brilliance. The days when magic gaming moments involved Yoshi eating bad guys, Donkey Kong throwing barrels into bad guys and Alan Grant fighting off raptors in Jurassic Park have been replaced with Lara jumping over death pits in Tomb Raider, Snake sneaking past guards in Metal Gear Solid and putting someone through a table in Smackdown. So Nintendo what happened?

The N64 in my mind was the best console at its time but I will admit that this was no SNES. The games on the SNES were insanely fun and I loved every minute of it whilst this is true of N64 games they felt more like pieces of art, Zelda being a prime example. The N64’s lack of 3rd party support contributed to the consoles failure to live up to its older brother, and the only people Nintendo could blame were themselves. The N64 is still alive if only just (I got my 40th and final N64 game last week) but has the N64 taught Nintendo anything at all? How brilliant the N64 was I can openly admit it had problems, as it wasn’t the 3D SNES I was always hoping for…

Enter the Gamecube.

Those problems that the poor N64 suffered have been removed (except the European problem), the console has shifted to disc format, the 3rd party support may not be quite as big as Sony’s but has increased dramatically compared with the N64, the console is cheaper and the console is easy to work on. Nintendo have started to hark back to the world of the SNES although epic adventures such as Zelda are to make a triumphant return a good example of this is RARE’s Starfox Adventures which is like Zelda with Fox instead of Link. Those awesome shorter but really fun games are back in the form of Luigi’s Mansion and Pikmin. Nintendo themselves are making great efforts to avoid a game shortage, they are making hundreds of games even more than they did on the N64 and this is helped by the increase in 2nd party support.

3rd Parties are making great efforts on Nintendo’s new console, Namco who admit it prefers Sony to Nintendo are releasing some of their BIGGEST games on the Gamecube, Klonoa 2, Soul Calibur 2, Ridge Racer and much more, a particular 3rd party (Ubi soft) claim they will release 20 games by the end of 2002! It’s an amazing improvement over the N64. Nintendo’s concentration on the game market, their “FUN” image where they plan to hark back to the good old days of gaming have won support from SEGA’s Sonic Team and Capcom (despite being apparently paid a load of money and having reported problems with the PS2) have claimed Nintendo’s concentration on gameplay and the fun side of gaming is very appealing to them. This new Nintendo attitude has come after the N64 gave them a good kick in the ass, a wake up call to Nintendo the Gamecube must surpass its predecessor.

The Gamecube is the beginning of a new era for Nintendo, Playstation fans may insist the Gamecube won’t match their multi-media system but they will have to admit the Gamecube is getting the N64 and the SNES ripping the best bits off and sticking them together. Combined with some new ideas such as the GBA link up and we have the future of gaming sown up in a box no larger than 10 CD cases stacked up. Will Nintendo manage to rise to the top of gaming market as they did when the SNES rules the world? To me it doesn’t really matter the Gamecube looks awesome, the promised games due for release seem almost too good to be true especially with major franchises such as Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil and Sonic on it.

The Gamecube is the only console built solely for the playing of games and so it will be the greatest games console on the planet, EA (who declined to develop on the Dreamcast) think so, SEGA think so, Capcom think so, I think so but do you think so?

Here’s to the future

Dringo
Tue 07/12/10 at 20:19
Evenin...........

We're aiming for a Pennine ride tomorrow night.

Meet at the Hare & Hounds for a prompt 5:45pm departure.
Route to be decided :)

Ring/text to confirm attendance 07972 710 440

The conditions are predicted to be -9C clear with a slight N breeze.
Wed 05/12/01 at 17:02
Regular
I prefered the SNES Mario world was awsome.

Yoshi, star levels, millions of levels, secrets ahhhhh it had it all.
Tue 04/12/01 at 22:46
Regular
The 16 bit era just ruled really.

Lets hope the 128 bit era will do the same.
Tue 04/12/01 at 21:27
Alright then Grix. I choose.....

...the Megadrive.
Tue 04/12/01 at 21:01
Regular
CHOOSE!

:0)
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:48
The Greatest console of all time, one that revolutionised gaming.

It would be between the Megadrive and the SNES.
Do I really have to choose, as I loved both of them, and they both gave me the best games ever: Flashback, Streets of Rage 3, Final Fight 3, Ghouls and Ghosts.#

Please don't make me choose.
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:34
The SNES truly was fantastic, I loved the sports games especially. Jimmy Connors tennis, all the footy games, international cricket, nhl games, nfl games, and all the others. However, Mariokart was most certainly the top game for the SNES. I can't wait for the Gamecube version of Mariokart.
Tue 04/12/01 at 19:13
Regular
What would you say is the greatest Console of all time, I don’t mean graphical capabilities, speed or power if I was then we would all shout X-box but the most revolutionary games console in the world that has given the world so many happy faces, the console that has single handedly changed the face of video games. Some of you might be thinking of the Playstation, many others and myself meanwhile will have the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in mind.

The good old days of gaming as some of us like to say. The days when Nintendo ruled the world and SEGA were just behind them. How those days are long gone now its Sony with its Playstation that sits firmly in the top spot of gaming brilliance. The days when magic gaming moments involved Yoshi eating bad guys, Donkey Kong throwing barrels into bad guys and Alan Grant fighting off raptors in Jurassic Park have been replaced with Lara jumping over death pits in Tomb Raider, Snake sneaking past guards in Metal Gear Solid and putting someone through a table in Smackdown. So Nintendo what happened?

The N64 in my mind was the best console at its time but I will admit that this was no SNES. The games on the SNES were insanely fun and I loved every minute of it whilst this is true of N64 games they felt more like pieces of art, Zelda being a prime example. The N64’s lack of 3rd party support contributed to the consoles failure to live up to its older brother, and the only people Nintendo could blame were themselves. The N64 is still alive if only just (I got my 40th and final N64 game last week) but has the N64 taught Nintendo anything at all? How brilliant the N64 was I can openly admit it had problems, as it wasn’t the 3D SNES I was always hoping for…

Enter the Gamecube.

Those problems that the poor N64 suffered have been removed (except the European problem), the console has shifted to disc format, the 3rd party support may not be quite as big as Sony’s but has increased dramatically compared with the N64, the console is cheaper and the console is easy to work on. Nintendo have started to hark back to the world of the SNES although epic adventures such as Zelda are to make a triumphant return a good example of this is RARE’s Starfox Adventures which is like Zelda with Fox instead of Link. Those awesome shorter but really fun games are back in the form of Luigi’s Mansion and Pikmin. Nintendo themselves are making great efforts to avoid a game shortage, they are making hundreds of games even more than they did on the N64 and this is helped by the increase in 2nd party support.

3rd Parties are making great efforts on Nintendo’s new console, Namco who admit it prefers Sony to Nintendo are releasing some of their BIGGEST games on the Gamecube, Klonoa 2, Soul Calibur 2, Ridge Racer and much more, a particular 3rd party (Ubi soft) claim they will release 20 games by the end of 2002! It’s an amazing improvement over the N64. Nintendo’s concentration on the game market, their “FUN” image where they plan to hark back to the good old days of gaming have won support from SEGA’s Sonic Team and Capcom (despite being apparently paid a load of money and having reported problems with the PS2) have claimed Nintendo’s concentration on gameplay and the fun side of gaming is very appealing to them. This new Nintendo attitude has come after the N64 gave them a good kick in the ass, a wake up call to Nintendo the Gamecube must surpass its predecessor.

The Gamecube is the beginning of a new era for Nintendo, Playstation fans may insist the Gamecube won’t match their multi-media system but they will have to admit the Gamecube is getting the N64 and the SNES ripping the best bits off and sticking them together. Combined with some new ideas such as the GBA link up and we have the future of gaming sown up in a box no larger than 10 CD cases stacked up. Will Nintendo manage to rise to the top of gaming market as they did when the SNES rules the world? To me it doesn’t really matter the Gamecube looks awesome, the promised games due for release seem almost too good to be true especially with major franchises such as Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil and Sonic on it.

The Gamecube is the only console built solely for the playing of games and so it will be the greatest games console on the planet, EA (who declined to develop on the Dreamcast) think so, SEGA think so, Capcom think so, I think so but do you think so?

Here’s to the future

Dringo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.