GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short LIVE-d"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/03/03 at 16:38
Regular
Well, you'd be mistaken for thinking that it's already come and gone.

For years now we've been dreaming of the "next generation" of games consoles, not only with superior graphics, sound, and game play, but entirely new "angles" on playing video games. Along came the Playstation2, Xbox and Gamecube, and, as is the case with the video games industry, suddenly all was well again.

We played games, we enjoyed games, and we bought more games. The cycle continued and, it seems, in all this excitement we've forgotten what we originally wanted (a new "angle", something original, something groundbreaking).

Speaking to any games fan around 5 years ago, one of the most exciting prospects of the future of video games was competing with people from all over the planet through online console gaming. PC gamers have been playing together for years through LAN and of course online (with Broadband bringing a HUGE improvement to the prospects of online gaming). Grand Theft Auto (the original of course) was the sort of game that people DREAMT of being able to play online with friends (I’m talking mainstream here, so consoles only). GTA3 took that dream even further; with its groundbreaking game play it seemed the absolute ideal game to be taken into the online arena.

2003 - Suddenly, what everybody has been dreaming and speaking of for the last few years has become a reality. Finally, the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube (to some extent) have launched the online revolution, with Microsoft leading the way with their online gaming service.

As a part-time sales assistant in a local independent games store, I’ve had the privilege of speaking to many people about the excitement of online gaming for around about 10 months or so, just as the Xbox kicked off it's online adventure.

It would seem now, in hindsight, that I’ve done a lot of these people a disservice.

For some time it appeared that of all the three major players, Microsoft were the most committed to making online gaming a reality. Sony have been withdrawn (to say the least) with details on their online venture from day one, and Nintendo have stated many times that they do not necessarily consider online gaming to be the future of their Gamecube console. Microsoft, however, had a plan all laid out, with specific dates and information readily available. The fact that everything appeared so easy to set up and so many people have been singing the praises of Xbox LIVE though, doesn't seem to count for much.

I'm not making any sort of judgement against Xbox LIVE, nor am I saying that I was wrong to advise customers that Microsoft seemed to have the best "online" strategy. However, what has amazed me is the incredible speed that the "Live" revolution has come and gone.

I'm well aware that Xbox LIVE has, in-fact, been knocking about for some time now, and those who hold accounts feel it is a massive step forward for gaming. However, when you look at it from a mainstream perspective, it really has come and gone very quickly indeed.

Prior to its release, Xbox LIVE was just about the most hotly anticipated Xbox release (just as much so as any games scheduled for release on Xbox). People were intrigued, wanted to ask questions, wanted to place bets on how the whole online setup would work. However, almost as soon as it had been released, Xbox LIVE suddenly lost its appeal. NOT unpopular, NOT poorly executed, NOT a bad move by Microsoft... just one that has yet again failed to capture the imagination of the mainstream audience.

When something has so much hype and so much potential to change the gaming world, it's incredible how that hype dies so quickly. Suddenly, people stopped talking about it, suddenly no one had any views to air about it on the Internet. Suddenly, Xbox LIVE took the same route many games do. "Popular for a day".

It's BOUND to be exactly the same for Sony’s online plans, and indeed Gamecube when more games roll out with online capabilities.

Online gaming really is viewed as the next big step in video games, and, rightly or wrongly, that's what I feel is going to really advance this industry in the next few years. However, isn't amazing how the whole online craze seems to have followed the sort of pattern we expect from a new release game?

Geez ... anyone would think we all just wanted to play good games, and weren't really THAT fussed about online gaming! (???)

For months I’d planned my course of action regarding Xbox LIVE. I got connected to Broadband, bought NIC cards, all the other necessary kit, leads, etc. I was excited about this brand new online gaming arena, and then, due to financial reasons, put off buying my starter kit for a week. Now, for some reason I just don't feel excited about it. I picked up a GBA SP, one or two new games, and suddenly have put Xbox LIVE right to the back of my head.

Played it, loved it, but just don't (for some reason) feel compelled to join the "revolution".

Maybe that's the way online gaming's going to go for all three of the companies, maybe that's the way it's going to go full-stop?

Short LIVE-d.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 29/03/03 at 16:38
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Well, you'd be mistaken for thinking that it's already come and gone.

For years now we've been dreaming of the "next generation" of games consoles, not only with superior graphics, sound, and game play, but entirely new "angles" on playing video games. Along came the Playstation2, Xbox and Gamecube, and, as is the case with the video games industry, suddenly all was well again.

We played games, we enjoyed games, and we bought more games. The cycle continued and, it seems, in all this excitement we've forgotten what we originally wanted (a new "angle", something original, something groundbreaking).

Speaking to any games fan around 5 years ago, one of the most exciting prospects of the future of video games was competing with people from all over the planet through online console gaming. PC gamers have been playing together for years through LAN and of course online (with Broadband bringing a HUGE improvement to the prospects of online gaming). Grand Theft Auto (the original of course) was the sort of game that people DREAMT of being able to play online with friends (I’m talking mainstream here, so consoles only). GTA3 took that dream even further; with its groundbreaking game play it seemed the absolute ideal game to be taken into the online arena.

2003 - Suddenly, what everybody has been dreaming and speaking of for the last few years has become a reality. Finally, the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube (to some extent) have launched the online revolution, with Microsoft leading the way with their online gaming service.

As a part-time sales assistant in a local independent games store, I’ve had the privilege of speaking to many people about the excitement of online gaming for around about 10 months or so, just as the Xbox kicked off it's online adventure.

It would seem now, in hindsight, that I’ve done a lot of these people a disservice.

For some time it appeared that of all the three major players, Microsoft were the most committed to making online gaming a reality. Sony have been withdrawn (to say the least) with details on their online venture from day one, and Nintendo have stated many times that they do not necessarily consider online gaming to be the future of their Gamecube console. Microsoft, however, had a plan all laid out, with specific dates and information readily available. The fact that everything appeared so easy to set up and so many people have been singing the praises of Xbox LIVE though, doesn't seem to count for much.

I'm not making any sort of judgement against Xbox LIVE, nor am I saying that I was wrong to advise customers that Microsoft seemed to have the best "online" strategy. However, what has amazed me is the incredible speed that the "Live" revolution has come and gone.

I'm well aware that Xbox LIVE has, in-fact, been knocking about for some time now, and those who hold accounts feel it is a massive step forward for gaming. However, when you look at it from a mainstream perspective, it really has come and gone very quickly indeed.

Prior to its release, Xbox LIVE was just about the most hotly anticipated Xbox release (just as much so as any games scheduled for release on Xbox). People were intrigued, wanted to ask questions, wanted to place bets on how the whole online setup would work. However, almost as soon as it had been released, Xbox LIVE suddenly lost its appeal. NOT unpopular, NOT poorly executed, NOT a bad move by Microsoft... just one that has yet again failed to capture the imagination of the mainstream audience.

When something has so much hype and so much potential to change the gaming world, it's incredible how that hype dies so quickly. Suddenly, people stopped talking about it, suddenly no one had any views to air about it on the Internet. Suddenly, Xbox LIVE took the same route many games do. "Popular for a day".

It's BOUND to be exactly the same for Sony’s online plans, and indeed Gamecube when more games roll out with online capabilities.

Online gaming really is viewed as the next big step in video games, and, rightly or wrongly, that's what I feel is going to really advance this industry in the next few years. However, isn't amazing how the whole online craze seems to have followed the sort of pattern we expect from a new release game?

Geez ... anyone would think we all just wanted to play good games, and weren't really THAT fussed about online gaming! (???)

For months I’d planned my course of action regarding Xbox LIVE. I got connected to Broadband, bought NIC cards, all the other necessary kit, leads, etc. I was excited about this brand new online gaming arena, and then, due to financial reasons, put off buying my starter kit for a week. Now, for some reason I just don't feel excited about it. I picked up a GBA SP, one or two new games, and suddenly have put Xbox LIVE right to the back of my head.

Played it, loved it, but just don't (for some reason) feel compelled to join the "revolution".

Maybe that's the way online gaming's going to go for all three of the companies, maybe that's the way it's going to go full-stop?

Short LIVE-d.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.