GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mel Brooks - It's Good To Be The King"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/12/01 at 17:58
Regular
To me, Mel Brooks epitomises American zany comedy. His movie satires are well known, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein being the most successful. But he's done many other things.

His 2000 Year Old Man sketches for which he paired up with Carl Reiner are what really launched him in the early 60's, but it wasn't until 1974 that he really hit the limelight with the movies mentioned above.

Amongst his later films were Robin Hood: Men in Tights which parodied Prince of Thieves, Spaceballs which put a zany slant on StarWars and StarTrek, and my personal favorite History of the World Part 1, (it had monkeys at the beginning, what more could you ask for?)

His films also helped to launch the careers of other comedy geniuses like Gene Wilder (The Producers), Harvey Korman and the late and sadly missed Madeline Kahn (Blazing Saddles).

He's had his flops as well, Life Stinks and Silent Movie didn't get the good reviews that in my opinion they warranted. Maybe by then audiences were getting a bit tired of his recycled gags, but to me he can tell the same jokes over and over and make me laugh each time.

Plus I always watch out for his trademarks. Did you know that there is always a scene in his films where the main character sits and stares whilst other members of the cast try to console him? That all his films contain a whacky musical number? That he always throws in the "Walk this way!" gag where instead of following him another person mimics the way he is walking?

Brooksfilms, the production company that Mel Brooks founded, has also been responsible for producing great films like The Elephant Man, The Fly, 84 Charing Cross Road and My Favourite Year, all of which were critically acclaimed.

The thing I like most about Mel Brooks is that he can laugh at himself. He once said: "For every ten Jews beating their breasts, God designated one to be crazy and amuse the breast-beaters. By the time I was five I knew I was that one."

He even accepted the role of voice acting for himself in an episode of the Simpsons.

His last film was written over 6 years ago now, the 1995 'Dracula: Dead and Loving It'

I sincerely hope that he puts pen to paper again and writes another one.
Wed 05/12/01 at 13:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I love early Mel Brooks. Young Frankenstein, The Producers, History of The World Part 1 etc etc, but I've found his recent stuff to be lazy at best.

Simple parodies of other movies takes little effort, and when he's proved he's a genius writer with stuff like Blazing Saddles it's a shame to see him rehashing the same stuff over and over.

Blazing Saddles..classic attacks on racism and complete with fart jokes. Excellent

"Where de white women at?"
Wed 05/12/01 at 12:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
wow, both saying the same things at the same time, again....

(except I can't spell 'may', need...more...coffee...)
Wed 05/12/01 at 12:34
Regular
My the schwartz be with you.
Wed 05/12/01 at 12:30
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
May the Schwarz be with you!

Spaceballs is hilarious.
Wed 05/12/01 at 12:27
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> And Rick Moranis is Dark Helmet. Fool. :0)

True, I just remembered that myself.

Mel Brooks when he opens the can of Perri-air, classic!

Mel Brooks is Yoghurt as well, I think. Pizza The Hut is just comical genius! I don't think there has been such a blatant rip off since...
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:38
Regular
And Rick Moranis is Dark Helmet. Fool. :0)
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:38
Regular
"Comb the desert!"

"Fooled you!"

One of the best moments for me as well, is when they can't work out where the Princess is, so they watch the video to find out. Genius.

"I CAN'T believe you fell for it!"
Tue 04/12/01 at 18:49
Regular
I've got Spaceballs on DVD, and it's DMAN funny.

Mel Brooks as Darth Helmet - hilarious!
Tue 04/12/01 at 18:47
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
A decent post FantasyMeister and I must say a good choice of director. Nobody else really seems to have heard of him. I've seen Men In Tights and I now have it on DVD. That film cracks me up every time. In my English class last year, we viewed an excerpt from Young Frankenstein, which was quite interesting. In fact - I was basically the only interested person.

"I now pronounce you Sherrif of Rottingham..."

*The crowd mumbles*

"A black sherrif?"

"Hey! It worked in Blazing Saddles!"

*Crowd aggreeingly mumble*

Classic, classic line from the director we all love to love (and laugh at), Mel Brooks.

Firebalt.
Tue 04/12/01 at 17:58
Regular
To me, Mel Brooks epitomises American zany comedy. His movie satires are well known, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein being the most successful. But he's done many other things.

His 2000 Year Old Man sketches for which he paired up with Carl Reiner are what really launched him in the early 60's, but it wasn't until 1974 that he really hit the limelight with the movies mentioned above.

Amongst his later films were Robin Hood: Men in Tights which parodied Prince of Thieves, Spaceballs which put a zany slant on StarWars and StarTrek, and my personal favorite History of the World Part 1, (it had monkeys at the beginning, what more could you ask for?)

His films also helped to launch the careers of other comedy geniuses like Gene Wilder (The Producers), Harvey Korman and the late and sadly missed Madeline Kahn (Blazing Saddles).

He's had his flops as well, Life Stinks and Silent Movie didn't get the good reviews that in my opinion they warranted. Maybe by then audiences were getting a bit tired of his recycled gags, but to me he can tell the same jokes over and over and make me laugh each time.

Plus I always watch out for his trademarks. Did you know that there is always a scene in his films where the main character sits and stares whilst other members of the cast try to console him? That all his films contain a whacky musical number? That he always throws in the "Walk this way!" gag where instead of following him another person mimics the way he is walking?

Brooksfilms, the production company that Mel Brooks founded, has also been responsible for producing great films like The Elephant Man, The Fly, 84 Charing Cross Road and My Favourite Year, all of which were critically acclaimed.

The thing I like most about Mel Brooks is that he can laugh at himself. He once said: "For every ten Jews beating their breasts, God designated one to be crazy and amuse the breast-beaters. By the time I was five I knew I was that one."

He even accepted the role of voice acting for himself in an episode of the Simpsons.

His last film was written over 6 years ago now, the 1995 'Dracula: Dead and Loving It'

I sincerely hope that he puts pen to paper again and writes another one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.