GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are games getting worse as technology develops?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/03/03 at 18:59
Regular
Are games truly getting worse as technology develops or are we having it a lot better than we used to? From what I can remember it was the Snes and Mega Drive and then the PS1, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 and now it’s the Gamecube, X Box and PS2. So where have we gone? Have we just gone backwards and developed games that are worse than they used to be years ago or forward to a much more realistic experience?

The summary

As soon as I began what has been an epic journey through gaming history I bought the Snes hoping for some fun and a laugh. Now the Snes consisted of many great games like all the Marios, Mario Kart, Legend Of Zelda and Donkey Kong making it very hard to compete with. But later came the Mega Drive. Now I new nothing about Sega and their games but decided to try it out and buy Sonic the hedgehog 2 in the process. After this I bought all the Streets of rage, all the other Sonics and a few more.

Now these two consoles were unbelievable at the time and I could hardly wait for what was to come. And to everyone’s surprise the PS1 was released. Like the curious type I am I bought this console and several games too like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. A while later and Nintendo released another console. The Nintendo 64. Due to the amazing thrill factor of the Snes I immediately purchased the console as well as other games like Mario 64, Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of time and Mario Kart. His was also another year of triumph for both consoles as both delivered the similar quality of past consoles. Sega also brought out another console of their own called the Dreamcast. I bought this immediately and loved all the games like Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis and Shenmue. But after a while it became extinct and drew Sega to Software only. Why? It was a great console.

Which now brings me to the next generation consoles. Quite a while after that the PS2 was released. Unsure of whether I should wait for the Gamecube or not I bought the console along with my brother. Smackdown, Metal Gear solid 2 and Grand Theft Auto gave the PS2 it’s amzing fun factor and looked pretty hard to beat. But then came the X Box. Although not considered a major success it looked appealing to me and although I didn’t buy it, I managed to play my friends quite often. Halo, Dead or alive 3 and Splinter Cell were great fun although only appealed to a mature audience convincing me this wasn’t the console for me. May 3rd marked the release of the Gamecube and things went off with a bang. I got mine from day one and bought games like Pikmin, Smash Brothers, Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine all giving me the quality I hoped for.

Now this is what has happened over the years and has it all been worth while? Is the Mario now better than it was back in the days of the Snes?

The Professionals

Looking through several websites I noticed many things. Games like Legend Of Zelda were getting perfect 10s while the newest Wind Waker scored a not so ground breaking 9.3. Why was this? Surely the graphics and sound are better what with the new technology and Dolby Surround aren’t they? On close inspection I did notice that other games too were scoring lower now then games in the past. GTA and Metroid scored a 9.7 and 97% and were referred to as the best games ever but how is this true? Goldeneye and Mario 64 have scored 9.9 and 98%. Odd isn’t it?

But you could think about it like this. Sounds are based on graphics available for that console and sounds too. Catchy tunes are far better than terrible high quality rubbish. But this still means games back then are better than games now could be. If GTA scored 9.7 and Zelda 10 then GTA can still be improved to match the PS2 standards.

The scorchers

Here is a list of all the most highly rated games of each console and also my opinion:

Snes (A console with a wide range of great Nintendo games)
Mario Brothers 1, 2, 3 and lost worlds
Donkey Kong 1 through 3
Yoshi’s Island 1 and 2
Mario Kart. Legend Of Zelda
Metroid

Mega Drive (Fats paced Sonic and others kept Sega up top with Nintendo)
Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles as well as pinball, 3D and others
Streets of rage.

PS1 (Finally we have a console able to produce great 3D environments. Groundbreaking games.)
Resident Evil 1,2 and 3
Fantasy series
Crash bandicoot
Metal Gear Solid

Nintendo 64 (Great games without a doubt and quality all round)
Mario 64, Kart, Golf and tennis
Smash Brothers
Goldeneye
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora’s mask

Dreamcast (Amazing games that should have been treated with more respect)
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Virtua Tennis 1 and 2
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Shenmue 1 and 2

PS2 (As good as the original and if not better)
GTA 3 and Vice City
Metal Gear Solid 2
Getaway
Sims

X Box (Newcomer produces a great but maybe a little too mature console. Depends on your taste)
Halo
Splinter Cell
Dead or Alive 3
Panzar Dragoon

Gamecube (I love the more kiddy games like Mario and Pikmin so I love the Gamecube)
Mario Sunshine
Smash Brothers Melee
Metroid Prime
Starfox Adventures
Resident Evil 1 and 0

My Opinion

In my opinion I would have to say that I enjoyed the PS1, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 period to the present and retro eras. Now I know most of you, if not all will probably say that I am just some idiot who knows nothing or that I’m someone trying to make this have an odd twist for a Gameaday competitor but I believe that the PS1, Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast games I spent time playing were some of the best ever. Sonic Adventure, Mario 64 and Resident evil’s first outing were amazing and proved that 3D is just as good as 2D.

Games now consist of dodgy copies from previous consoles like Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis. It’s great to play them again but they’ve had their moment. And if it isn’t copies then it’s just plain terrible games like Universal Studios or Turok Evolution that are released in the hope of at least 10 games being sold. In my opinion the present isn’t as great as the past. Games are getting worse as the technology gets better and although there are exceptions this is for the majority.

Thanks for reading
Fri 04/04/03 at 00:30
Regular
"The Red Shift"
i was just thinking about the future and its clear to see that most of the current consoles are well out dated, so a possible future solution may be to have a basic block and then just buy upgrades. personally i do feel there have been a lack of those unbelievebly good games recently, in particular. dissapointing really.
Fri 04/04/03 at 00:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think it's all relative to how long you've been gaming.

Remember back when the SNES and Megadrive were state of the art? The graphics were awesome! The sound was incredible! All the games were truly ground-breaking and original!

Now we've got the latest generation of consoles, but to older gamers it's still the same old gameplay with a few exceptions. Yes, the graphics are better, yes the sound is better, but it's the same old thing in most cases: shoot something, jump on something, beat something, or level up your character and collect items. Today's consoles do it faster, do it better, and are more useful sure, but gameplay hasn't really evolved (again there's some notable exceptions), just the experience of playing games.

My nephew, who's only 8, started gaming last year and we got him a Gamecube for Xmas. He's not in anyway over-awed by the graphics or the sound, he just likes the games and still plays the ones he's got on his old Playstation just as much as the ones on the Gamecube. He's lucky, because when the PS3 or Gamecube 2 come out he's going to be amazed at the jump in technology, same as we were when the N64 and Saturn and PSX superceded the SNES and MegaDrive.

But for those of us who've been gaming for 20 or more years, the jump won't be that noticeable, especially if launch titles include sequels with Mario in them, Gran Turismo in the title or an online version of Grand Theft Auto. It'll be more a case of same old game, different console to play it on.
Thu 03/04/03 at 19:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Thanks for replying to my post guys. I hardly ever get many replys nowadays.
Mon 31/03/03 at 21:35
Regular
I'm the same in that in my reasonably long gaming life, i enjoyed the N64 era the most. Conkers bad fur day was the last console game that actually made me get up early to play. And thats with me owning a xbox, PS2, and GameCube. Maybe, i'm just growing out of games, or perhaps they really arnt as good as they used to be. Although I think the Wind Waker may kill that trend...Cant wait for it! :)

I've gone back to my SNES at the moment. Collecting some of the classics via ebay. Got NBA JAM T.E the other day which is as good as i remembered (which isnt always the case) and also got Super smash TV on the way.

I also just won Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 on the Amiga (last sensible soccer game made for the Amiga) which in gameplay terms puts all the modern day footy sims to shame.
Mon 31/03/03 at 21:23
Regular
"do ut des"
You make very valid points here Ghost Killer. Although I must say I loved the Snes and Mega Drive the best by far. I can remember buying the Snes for the first time. It was great. I bought Mario World. Amazing.

Well written post by the way
Sun 30/03/03 at 18:59
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Are games truly getting worse as technology develops or are we having it a lot better than we used to? From what I can remember it was the Snes and Mega Drive and then the PS1, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 and now it’s the Gamecube, X Box and PS2. So where have we gone? Have we just gone backwards and developed games that are worse than they used to be years ago or forward to a much more realistic experience?

The summary

As soon as I began what has been an epic journey through gaming history I bought the Snes hoping for some fun and a laugh. Now the Snes consisted of many great games like all the Marios, Mario Kart, Legend Of Zelda and Donkey Kong making it very hard to compete with. But later came the Mega Drive. Now I new nothing about Sega and their games but decided to try it out and buy Sonic the hedgehog 2 in the process. After this I bought all the Streets of rage, all the other Sonics and a few more.

Now these two consoles were unbelievable at the time and I could hardly wait for what was to come. And to everyone’s surprise the PS1 was released. Like the curious type I am I bought this console and several games too like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. A while later and Nintendo released another console. The Nintendo 64. Due to the amazing thrill factor of the Snes I immediately purchased the console as well as other games like Mario 64, Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of time and Mario Kart. His was also another year of triumph for both consoles as both delivered the similar quality of past consoles. Sega also brought out another console of their own called the Dreamcast. I bought this immediately and loved all the games like Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis and Shenmue. But after a while it became extinct and drew Sega to Software only. Why? It was a great console.

Which now brings me to the next generation consoles. Quite a while after that the PS2 was released. Unsure of whether I should wait for the Gamecube or not I bought the console along with my brother. Smackdown, Metal Gear solid 2 and Grand Theft Auto gave the PS2 it’s amzing fun factor and looked pretty hard to beat. But then came the X Box. Although not considered a major success it looked appealing to me and although I didn’t buy it, I managed to play my friends quite often. Halo, Dead or alive 3 and Splinter Cell were great fun although only appealed to a mature audience convincing me this wasn’t the console for me. May 3rd marked the release of the Gamecube and things went off with a bang. I got mine from day one and bought games like Pikmin, Smash Brothers, Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine all giving me the quality I hoped for.

Now this is what has happened over the years and has it all been worth while? Is the Mario now better than it was back in the days of the Snes?

The Professionals

Looking through several websites I noticed many things. Games like Legend Of Zelda were getting perfect 10s while the newest Wind Waker scored a not so ground breaking 9.3. Why was this? Surely the graphics and sound are better what with the new technology and Dolby Surround aren’t they? On close inspection I did notice that other games too were scoring lower now then games in the past. GTA and Metroid scored a 9.7 and 97% and were referred to as the best games ever but how is this true? Goldeneye and Mario 64 have scored 9.9 and 98%. Odd isn’t it?

But you could think about it like this. Sounds are based on graphics available for that console and sounds too. Catchy tunes are far better than terrible high quality rubbish. But this still means games back then are better than games now could be. If GTA scored 9.7 and Zelda 10 then GTA can still be improved to match the PS2 standards.

The scorchers

Here is a list of all the most highly rated games of each console and also my opinion:

Snes (A console with a wide range of great Nintendo games)
Mario Brothers 1, 2, 3 and lost worlds
Donkey Kong 1 through 3
Yoshi’s Island 1 and 2
Mario Kart. Legend Of Zelda
Metroid

Mega Drive (Fats paced Sonic and others kept Sega up top with Nintendo)
Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles as well as pinball, 3D and others
Streets of rage.

PS1 (Finally we have a console able to produce great 3D environments. Groundbreaking games.)
Resident Evil 1,2 and 3
Fantasy series
Crash bandicoot
Metal Gear Solid

Nintendo 64 (Great games without a doubt and quality all round)
Mario 64, Kart, Golf and tennis
Smash Brothers
Goldeneye
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora’s mask

Dreamcast (Amazing games that should have been treated with more respect)
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Virtua Tennis 1 and 2
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Shenmue 1 and 2

PS2 (As good as the original and if not better)
GTA 3 and Vice City
Metal Gear Solid 2
Getaway
Sims

X Box (Newcomer produces a great but maybe a little too mature console. Depends on your taste)
Halo
Splinter Cell
Dead or Alive 3
Panzar Dragoon

Gamecube (I love the more kiddy games like Mario and Pikmin so I love the Gamecube)
Mario Sunshine
Smash Brothers Melee
Metroid Prime
Starfox Adventures
Resident Evil 1 and 0

My Opinion

In my opinion I would have to say that I enjoyed the PS1, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 period to the present and retro eras. Now I know most of you, if not all will probably say that I am just some idiot who knows nothing or that I’m someone trying to make this have an odd twist for a Gameaday competitor but I believe that the PS1, Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast games I spent time playing were some of the best ever. Sonic Adventure, Mario 64 and Resident evil’s first outing were amazing and proved that 3D is just as good as 2D.

Games now consist of dodgy copies from previous consoles like Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis. It’s great to play them again but they’ve had their moment. And if it isn’t copies then it’s just plain terrible games like Universal Studios or Turok Evolution that are released in the hope of at least 10 games being sold. In my opinion the present isn’t as great as the past. Games are getting worse as the technology gets better and although there are exceptions this is for the majority.

Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.