GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The RPG - Best Genre Ever?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/12/01 at 02:13
Regular
To be honest, I've never been quite the avid fan of RPG's that some of you, no doubt, are. I missed all the Final Fantasy games, and only managed to fit in a couple of Dragon Warrior and King's Quest games in between The Secret of Mana, and Zelda 64 and Skies of Arcadia.

But although i've never really taken to RPG's, turning to football and adventure games for my entertainment, there is definitely something special about them. It could be a lot of things... the moves, chracters, hype... but for me, it seems to be the storylines.

Like a book, RPGs seem to be able to absorb gamers into another world... something that can't be done by a Racers or Shoot 'em Ups. The sense of adventure is almost overwhelming, and no other genre can trigger the release of such emotions... tears, joy, happiness, shock, horror, disappointment.

I think everyone here, definitely over the age of 17, apreciates literature. It's not the sort of thing you 'take to' when you're young... but in a world full of pictures and sound, and technology on a silver platter, some of us oldies, like to sit down, and make our own worlds... how we want them. Now, although RPGs show you the world and don't let you create it, they do a good job of making it so un 'earth-like', that most of us wouldn't want it any other way.

Look at SOA... Moonstones? Flying Ships?... To the common man, that might seem like a joke... or at least something out of a fairytale, but to an RPG lover, it's perfect. It's unrealistic, therefore practically exempt from the limitations of a 'Physical World', it has great potential, and whadya know... it turned out to be one of, if not the best DC title out.

The one thing RPG games do lack, is multiplayer options... I know all about the MMORPG's (On-Line RPGs), but the isometric view of Legend of Mir doesn't quite enthrall you the same way a lush forest might do. Sega had the right idea with PSO, you could meet up with mates, destroy beasts in full 3D and have a chat at the same time. I know Mir is kind of 3D, and there are loads of features... but I know I'd prefer a co-op SOA On-Line to Mir anyday... maybe it's just a preferance.

Maybe it's just me... but RPGs seem to have everything going for them. People will never grow old of stories and fiction, in the same way they won't grow old of Role-Playing Games. Okay - maybe not to the same scale, but there might come a time where people just don't want to fight anymore. They don't want to race, they don't want slash demons with swords... but the burning desire for adventure will always be there... it's just human nature.

I suppose the next step is, indeed, Final Fantasy XI. Finally getting chance to play your friends from SR at a game... Take your three best friends from here... nay your 15 best freinds and go round in a group, doing whatever you want. The storyline is bound to be good, the graphics, amazing - the experience in general, undescribable. But RPG's will live on AFTER FFXI, maybe because they're timeless... Skateboarding is in, WWF is in, Centre Partings are Out and Asics trainers are out, but I don't think RPGs will ever lose their In-ness.

They're too good... and each one is different. Almost like a day in real life... no matter how many times you play the game, you'll take a slightly different route each time.

Of course, me praising RPGs is only an opinion... but one I would imagine quite a few people share.

Game

Add stuff if you want.... The Future of RPG games?
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:26
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
but you must admit MGS RPG elements are debatable. I think the RPG elements you are referring to are the plot driven part, and the item collecting. The item collecting is not exactly a RPG exclusive feature. It is also now used in most adventure games. And the plot line bit? Well just cos a game has a decent plot line doesn't mean that's an RPG element. A good plot line will draw the gamer in, and good plots are not exclusive to RPGs (take Half-Life, awesome plot line that).

Anyway, if those were the RPG elements you meant then that's what I think, and if they weren't then maybe you'd like to expand on what you said.

Or maybe you are already bored with my inferior intellect... ;-)
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
FFVII was much better than 8 in my opinion. Eight took itself too seriously, and tried too hard to improve itself, but just made a lot of stuff needlessly complex.

Ah well I suppose guns are the only things that please some people... ;)
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:09
Regular
"I like cheese"
Sibs wrote:
> not all ARE like that though. Take Zelda for example. Or FFVII. You must like
> FFVII?

I never played it. Played FF 8 though, and that was quite good.

But still, Zelda and FF are both games which are full of magic and swords etc.

Metal Gear Solid had the right idea. A modernistic game with an RPG element. Superb.
Wed 05/12/01 at 21:58
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
not all ARE like that though. Take Zelda for example. Or FFVII. You must like FFVII?
Wed 05/12/01 at 18:42
Regular
"I like cheese"
As I said earlier, what puts me off RPGs is the "You, as Mysterin Wizard Sithhel, must go and defeat the Dragon of Bonzebaal, to release the Prime Jewels, and be able to save Princess Lariat of Scleethomaar."
Wed 05/12/01 at 18:05
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
RPGs are so diverse though which is one reason why I like em.

Some (like Zelda) have no level up business, some (like FF series) have the level up business, and a quite customisable character, and some (like Baldurs Gate Series) have just about averthing custom. You choose what weapons you are good wiht, how strong, intelligent, charismatic, etc. your character is, who is in your party, what weapons they ise, what spells they use, so much. Even theiving abilities. You can choose whether a thief will be a master lock pick, or an expert at hiding in dark corners.

They also do not all have the same plot. Baldurs Gate series had an awesome and origingal (if somewhat 'beardy') plot, and FF7 has a futuristic plot that is also very good and well thought out. Zelda, well sometimes it is good, but it always (okay, ususally...) involves the princess of the title, and usually the trifirce, which is the most intriguing part of the plot and one which I think Ninty should go into more. There are also the character building games. System shock 2 was in the top five RPGs in PCgamer even though on first look it is a 1st person shooter.

Anyway, that's what I like. RPGs are awesome!
Wed 05/12/01 at 01:53
Well in theory there is no so called "best genre" in the world, because each genre to it's own is good, and different type of genre cannot be compared due to the fact that they are different in any and everyway. Well there are some similarities in some genres, theses being story lines and ofcourse having to control a character or two. However even with these similarities they can not be compared to each other.

This is where your opinion comes into it. I'm sure everyone of you have your favourite genre, am I right?? Ofcourse i am (as per usual :P) so this in your mind is the "best genre" but then if you think about it other people may not think so. If a survey was done to find out what the most liked genre was the overall answer would vary. So trying to determine which is the best genre in the world is near impossible (remember nothing is impossible).

I must say the RPG genre is in my mind the best out. I enjot this leveling up business, mixed in with a great story line. However not all RPGs are like this (take the Zelda seriies for instance) these type in the genre i do enjoy, i must admit, but i do not enjoy them asmuch as i enjoy the Final Fantasies of the genre. I do think that it is all down to the leveling up and getting stronger lark.

I also enjoy many other genres, for example Survival horrors and First person shooters. I enjoy these types of games because the goal i must reach i always blocked by something difficult, something that challenges me, things that make me think etc, and usually they have a great storyline entwined into them.In the end it all boils down to the storyline for me, it is what makes me want to play the game, and make me continue playing it so i can find out what happens, don't you agree??

Something for you to remeber you can't determine a best genre, but you can determine what you like. It is always your opinion that counts.

Well thats enough of my insessent rambling

tara for now
><{{{*>
Fish-e
Tue 04/12/01 at 22:21
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The storylines are the best thing about the games, but with so many games nowadays being based on franchises, storylines don't need to be made up. Goldeneye had a storyline - Rare didn't need to worry.

The 'Wow - what a great storyline' comment might die if, as with the other genre's, storylines are taken as standard.
It's a shame really....

Goatboy does have a point though, a lot of RPGs are the same. Not the characters, but the whole feel to them... It's always 'level-up'... there's no 'ability-advancement' or 'echelon-increase' instead. So even though RPGs are very blessed with unique storylines... everythng else, except the engine is the same... it just depends on how you look at it!
Tue 04/12/01 at 22:01
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
Yup, the RPG is the best seeing as it allows you to have an involving story line, mini-games, interest, great characters and is ssooooooooooooo involving.
Tue 04/12/01 at 21:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I love RPGs!!! They are incredible and you can do pretty much anything with them. You can have sub-games of totally different genres within them, and they are just awesome!

Baldurs Gate I and II rock (I need BGII: Throne of Bhaal!!!) and are incredible cos you can do almost anything! You can walk into a small village and massacre the inhabitents, becoming an outlaw and being hunted by the authorities!!! Or you can tread the good path and defeat evil at every turn.

This is just one example but I still love RPGs. FFVII was awesome, and I loved some old Snes and Megadrive RPGs.

Story Of Thor (Megadrive)
Soliel (Megadrive)
Secret of Mana (Snes)
Earthbound (Snes, I played using an emulator)

The ZELDA series!!!

and others I'm sure I have forgotten...

anyway RPGs rock, no arguing!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.