GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Broadband - What are the evening speeds like?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/12/10 at 09:04
Hi all,

I知 currently with AOL and after several weeks of only getting 0.1Mbit download speeds in the evening痴 (I can get around 5 -6 Mbit in the daytime), I知 thinking about changing my broadband supplier to Freeola. I知 on a 20th CN exchange (small rural village in Lincolnshire) and so can only obtain an up to 8 Mbit connection. I was just wondering what sort of evening speeds people manage to get?

I am quite a heavy user and so need one of the bigger packages and will most likely be going for a business package. I do not use P2P, just mainly stream radio (I have 3 internet radio sets) and use YouTube quite a lot.

Any of your experiences would be appreciated.
Thu 13/01/11 at 11:29
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
You know where we are if you have any questions...

'we' = enthusiastic customers! :ャ)
For official Freeola Support see Warhunt's post.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 13/01/11 at 10:54
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hi and welcome to Freeola/the forums.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, and we will try and help where possible.

Please note however that the forums will not always be the best place for support, and for that you should use http://freeola.com/support/request/ which will generally get you an answer much more quickly!
Thu 13/01/11 at 10:09
"Are you sure?"
Glad to hear it and welcome aboard!

Once things are live don't forget to check out the Freeola goodies that come with a Broadband package.

You know where we are if you have any questions...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 12/01/11 at 20:02
Well guys, it's only taken me a month to get sorted but finally I've taken the plunge and ordered my service with Freeola tonight.
Hopefully will be joining you all in the next few days and good riddance to AOL and it's awful evening peak time speeds.
Sun 05/12/10 at 11:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi and welcome to the forums....

Just thought that I'd mention that I live in Leicestershire and am connected to the Birmingham node...logical I suppose, but Lincolnshire is only just next door. Never any problems, fast speeds 24/7 ( as they say ) :ャ)

EDIT:

6.58mbps download @ 2 mins ago (18.03)
Sun 05/12/10 at 10:38
Hey Guys, Thanks to both of you for your fast replies.

Thanks Hmmm... for your link to those nodes. I would also assume that I would be placed on the Sheffield one, although Milton Keynes maybe a possibility as both are about the same distance from where I live.
I have been keeping an eye on the Sheffield metre and I do have some concerns that it was running around the 90% mark from late yesterday afternoon well into last night. I just hope it doesn't affect me as bad as AOL are doing at the moment. However, as you both have stated, it's only a monthly contract, as such, I don't really have anything to lose by trying them.

I've now requested my MAC from AOL, hopefully will get it by the end of the week, fingers crossed. It's also must be a coincidence how, within 10 minutes of me requesting my MAC, that my AOL broadband speed has now been instantly limited to just 0.3Mbit/s download all the time. It used to be just 4pm till midnight. Ho Hum!
Sat 04/12/10 at 09:26
"Are you sure?"
Hi.
Things are running pretty well at the moment - capacity wise.
It sounds like you AOL connection is suffering due to lack of capacity.

On Freeola 20CN you'll be connected to 1 of 10 nodes this is purely based on location so you can't change it.

I'm on the Faraday City of London IPSC(20CN) node - this serves parts of London and the South East.

I tend to get my full IP Profile until the usage gets close to 90% (see my node status link above) then it starts dropping back because of the usage.

For my node it's often busy during the day and quieter in the evenings and weekends - other nodes/areas are the complete opposite! At a guess I would think you may end of on the Sheffield node. This has had capacity issues in the past but seems to be running better lately - might be worth you monitoring the usage at different times of day.

But as there is no contract with Freeola it's nice that you can always try it for a month and see how things go :ャ)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 04/12/10 at 09:24
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi and welcome to the forums,

I have been with Freeola for about 4 years and they are a very good ISP in my experience.Our family/business has 3 connections with them and the speeds on all of them are good at all times.I would say the average connection speed is around 6 MBS (including evenings and weekends).All of these connections are in fairly small villages and are connected by small exchanges (2 connections are from the same exchange).ADSL 2 is currently not available from either of these exchanges and most of my neighbours (who seem to have connections with the likes of BT,Orange,SKY etc.) are not getting anything near these kinds of speeds ?.Why not give Freeola a try ?,if you are not happy who can always leave as you are not tied up for 12 - 18 months (as is the case with most suppliers).Based on my experiences with Freeola I would be surprised if you weren't happy.

Hope this helps.
Sat 04/12/10 at 09:04
Hi all,

I知 currently with AOL and after several weeks of only getting 0.1Mbit download speeds in the evening痴 (I can get around 5 -6 Mbit in the daytime), I知 thinking about changing my broadband supplier to Freeola. I知 on a 20th CN exchange (small rural village in Lincolnshire) and so can only obtain an up to 8 Mbit connection. I was just wondering what sort of evening speeds people manage to get?

I am quite a heavy user and so need one of the bigger packages and will most likely be going for a business package. I do not use P2P, just mainly stream radio (I have 3 internet radio sets) and use YouTube quite a lot.

Any of your experiences would be appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.