GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox & the Land of Quirk"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/03/03 at 14:42
Regular
Every console needs its fair share of quality titles, games which are classed as "seriously good". Games such as Halo, Splinter Cell, GTA3, Metroid Prime, etc.
But just as important for a console's diversity and appeal are the "exclusive quirky" games, and I'm relieved to see that on Xbox there are quite a few, and that they're growing in number with every passing day.

Toejam & Earl III, Jet Set Radio Future, DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Blinx - these are examples of quality titles which [as well as being excellent] are also brilliantly unusual, what I'd class as "quirky".

When I first bought my Xbox I feared that virtually every game would be either a PC port or I'd be snowed under by a deluge of overly serious games, but Microsoft are conscious of their image, and thanks mainly to SEGA, the Xbox has a wide variety of quirky games on offer.

I've been playing Toejam & Earl III all morning, and I have to say I love it. Madcap strangeness at its finest, and in many respects it's playing curious games such as this [and the others I mentioned] that taps me on the shoulder and reminds me why I caught the gaming bug in the first place.
It's also good to know that there are other unusual [exclusive] games due for release in the near future, especially of note are Psychonauts and Kameo.

This doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward to the likes of Halo 2, Fable, Deus Ex 2, BC, Star Wars: KOTOR, Broken Sword, Thief 3, etc - it's just that sometimes "quirky" is best, because within its colourful lands the quirky game captures in a fun way what gaming is all about.
Mon 31/03/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Every console needs its fair share of quality titles, games which are classed as "seriously good". Games such as Halo, Splinter Cell, GTA3, Metroid Prime, etc.
But just as important for a console's diversity and appeal are the "exclusive quirky" games, and I'm relieved to see that on Xbox there are quite a few, and that they're growing in number with every passing day.

Toejam & Earl III, Jet Set Radio Future, DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Blinx - these are examples of quality titles which [as well as being excellent] are also brilliantly unusual, what I'd class as "quirky".

When I first bought my Xbox I feared that virtually every game would be either a PC port or I'd be snowed under by a deluge of overly serious games, but Microsoft are conscious of their image, and thanks mainly to SEGA, the Xbox has a wide variety of quirky games on offer.

I've been playing Toejam & Earl III all morning, and I have to say I love it. Madcap strangeness at its finest, and in many respects it's playing curious games such as this [and the others I mentioned] that taps me on the shoulder and reminds me why I caught the gaming bug in the first place.
It's also good to know that there are other unusual [exclusive] games due for release in the near future, especially of note are Psychonauts and Kameo.

This doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward to the likes of Halo 2, Fable, Deus Ex 2, BC, Star Wars: KOTOR, Broken Sword, Thief 3, etc - it's just that sometimes "quirky" is best, because within its colourful lands the quirky game captures in a fun way what gaming is all about.
Mon 31/03/03 at 20:22
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Sega do quirky the best- basicly all the ones you have mentioned and Super Monkey ball on GC.

There are s good few others coming too. I think you'll love Kung Foo Chaos, it got an Elite award last OXM and is meant to be totally mad, over the top martial arts game simliar to Powerstone and I guess Super Smash Brothers.

Look into it.
Tue 01/04/03 at 09:04
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Mantis wrote:
> There are s good few others coming too. I think you'll love Kung Foo
> Chaos, it got an Elite award last OXM and is meant to be totally mad,
> over the top martial arts game simliar to Powerstone and I guess Super
> Smash Brothers.

I'm aware of Kung Foo Chaos, but if there's one genre I don't like it's beat-em-ups. Never liked fighting games.
Tue 01/04/03 at 09:48
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
what is toe jam and earl like??? any good? DOA Extreme Volleyball is extremly good I love it.
Tue 01/04/03 at 10:40
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Silent85 wrote:
> what is toe jam and earl like??? any good?

It's light-hearted and funny. Sort of a cross between Rayman and Oddworld. It's good if you like cartoony platform adventures.
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:53
Regular
I agree, that's why I'm thinking of buying a Gamecube!
If you want "quirky", that's the place where it's at...... (so they tell me).
Wed 02/04/03 at 23:29
Regular
Indeed. Where else can you find a game based on the designer's garden?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.