GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is a Hardcore Gamer?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/12/01 at 19:34
Regular
While videogaming has probably taken number one spot in my favorite pastimes, I have to admit that while I would consider myself a hardcore gamer, it is nothing like what you would expect. I don't play games during the day. I go to school during the day, and quite often at lunch come on the SR website, look at game sites etc. I have a normal life; I play tennis, go for rides in the New Forest, learn the piano, but the one thing that I find the most enjoyable is video-gaming.

I don't have any particular video-gaming talents, and won't claim to have any. I simply like to play games and by playing games for quite a long time I have gained a fair amount of skill when it comes to hand-eye co-ordination, and I have distinct tastes in certain genres - which shows.

My favourite kind of games are Role-Playing games. I think they are great in terms of not needing lightning quick reactions, yet still need a great deal of thought and tactics when concerning hard enemies etc. I have played through Final Fantasy 4 - 9, and am looking greatly forward to the playable demo of FFX in the January issue of Official UK. Anyway, I don't spend that much time playing games. I play games though, rather than watching TV. Therefore, I will spend time in the evenings playing. But I still love to get out and play tennis, ride etc.

I always thought that hardcore gamers were people who spent all their time in a small, curtained room hunched on a beanbag or something up in front of a TV for all hours of a day. I know that this is not true for about 99%+ of us, and many of us are 'hardcore' gamers, if we can be called that.

What does hardcore gamers mean? Surely they can't be the people who never leave their TV or computer screens. Those kind of people just don't exist. I like to think that I am a hardcore gamer, I manage to fit in about 10 hours a week, and I spend most of my money on games. But, after playing through a wide variety of games on a wide variety of systems, I cannot see that someone can spend all their time playing. Except in the case of Final Fantasy, games can't keep people hooked for ages. Except that guy in Play magazine who reviewed GTA3, who said he played from 12 noon to 3 in the morning. Believable? Yes. Every Single Day? Not a Chance.

So folks, I leave it open to you. What defines a Hardcore gamer, and is the term hardcore not used in the right sense. I would prefer to call myself a gamer. Not casual, not 'hardcore'. We need proper jargon to define what really is a hardcore gamer, and not the stereotypical computer geek. And now you know what I mean, you will understand me when I say that I am merely a gamer.
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:34
Regular
"¬_¬"
While videogaming has probably taken number one spot in my favorite pastimes, I have to admit that while I would consider myself a hardcore gamer, it is nothing like what you would expect. I don't play games during the day. I go to school during the day, and quite often at lunch come on the SR website, look at game sites etc. I have a normal life; I play tennis, go for rides in the New Forest, learn the piano, but the one thing that I find the most enjoyable is video-gaming.

I don't have any particular video-gaming talents, and won't claim to have any. I simply like to play games and by playing games for quite a long time I have gained a fair amount of skill when it comes to hand-eye co-ordination, and I have distinct tastes in certain genres - which shows.

My favourite kind of games are Role-Playing games. I think they are great in terms of not needing lightning quick reactions, yet still need a great deal of thought and tactics when concerning hard enemies etc. I have played through Final Fantasy 4 - 9, and am looking greatly forward to the playable demo of FFX in the January issue of Official UK. Anyway, I don't spend that much time playing games. I play games though, rather than watching TV. Therefore, I will spend time in the evenings playing. But I still love to get out and play tennis, ride etc.

I always thought that hardcore gamers were people who spent all their time in a small, curtained room hunched on a beanbag or something up in front of a TV for all hours of a day. I know that this is not true for about 99%+ of us, and many of us are 'hardcore' gamers, if we can be called that.

What does hardcore gamers mean? Surely they can't be the people who never leave their TV or computer screens. Those kind of people just don't exist. I like to think that I am a hardcore gamer, I manage to fit in about 10 hours a week, and I spend most of my money on games. But, after playing through a wide variety of games on a wide variety of systems, I cannot see that someone can spend all their time playing. Except in the case of Final Fantasy, games can't keep people hooked for ages. Except that guy in Play magazine who reviewed GTA3, who said he played from 12 noon to 3 in the morning. Believable? Yes. Every Single Day? Not a Chance.

So folks, I leave it open to you. What defines a Hardcore gamer, and is the term hardcore not used in the right sense. I would prefer to call myself a gamer. Not casual, not 'hardcore'. We need proper jargon to define what really is a hardcore gamer, and not the stereotypical computer geek. And now you know what I mean, you will understand me when I say that I am merely a gamer.
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:43
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
A hardcore gamer to me is someone who has a special talent in all genres and loves games, and everything to do with games. It's someone that just cannot think about anything else, but games - how to complete it or how to solve it.

Still, you're quite right. Hardcore isn't a very good word to use when it comes to gaming unless you are the sort of person who would lock yourself in a room 24 hours a day, non-stop playing. Not very idealistic in this day and age, there's far more important matters to deal with first.

There's no hardcore, but softcore in gaming!
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:47
I Guess if you love to play a lot of games in your life. You are a hardcore gamer. It just probbly seperates the rest of us from people who play games once in a few weeks or months. Me however read my cubheading under my name. Games 'R' MyLife. I want to develop games test play them before launched or reviewed in a mag nd get all the excitement most people never get.
Mon 03/12/01 at 21:37
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
We had a topic like this a few months back. A PC gamer came on here saying we(As in Sony) killed the gaming market. He said this because his PC mag he read said so. He use to say he was a hardcore gamer because he use to play on his PC all the time. (Look back through the archives to try and find it).

I think a hardcore gamer is someone who loves games. I have played video games since I was 5. At first I didnt play that much but a few years later it became one of my favourite things to do. I have owned numerous consoles and have currently got the X-Box on pre-order. I own tons of games so far. And the 2 main consoles available over here, the DC and PS2. I own a PS1, and N64 aswell. I currently own about 100 console games. I spend quite a bit of time on my PS2 and DC. I constantly talk about games, and on a Saturday at work I talk 5 hours straight about games with my friends. I also do have a life, I like TV, hanging out with mates, listening to music e.t.c.

There is also the casual gamer. In my view this would be someone who buys a console because its new or his mate from the pub had one. He/she would get a new game when they felt like one. They would walk in to the shop have a look around, and see a game that is completely rubbish. They will think it will be better than the game that has scored 10/10 in every magazine, just because the cover looks good. They get home stick it in for a quick go and they are happy. They go to the pub come home with a take away and there mates and sit around messing about. Then they get bored with it and the process goes on and on.
But some will still argue(Like the PC gamer) that the hardcore gamer is infact a person who plays 24/7 or tries to. I remember hearing about the bloke who played Quake online and ran up quartley phone bills on £3,000. This can be called hardcore or maybe just addiction.

But with what I have described as Hardcore and casual most of us here would fit in too the hardcore gamer part.

But too be honest I dont have as much time playing on the PS2 as I would like due to internet, Tv and Uni, plus I have to sleep and eat aswell. Maybe this would make me a casual gamer, but from my descriptions thats not me. I love video games, Iam studying Computing at Uni and hopefully can become a games programmer. I have wanted to do this ever since I first started too play video games.

Games testers are they hardcore gamers? Maybe, some of them will love to play games. But will they play video games outside of work. The games testers play the games to find the bugs. We play games for fun. Games testers get paid. But I suppose that people who want to test games would love playing video games in the first place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.