GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony can't repeat the past"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/12/01 at 14:12
Regular
Although the PSOne was the least technologically advanced of the last generation consoles, it made a killing in the market and came away top dog. This was due to the fact that it had signed up all of the top publishers, so had a huge library of software, whereas the N64 and Dreamcast were just left with first party publications, a few second party and a small amount of third party.

The PlayStation 2 is trying to do the same; it already has a massive amount of developers on board, and a lot of great games. The only problem is, that Nintendo and Microsoft are catching.

The main reason people stayed away from the N64 was because of the cartridge format and difficulty of development. Nintendo's high licensing fees were also a problem. But now, they have adopted a format that is very easy to develop, and has still got tiny developing prices and prevents piracy. Many developers have flocked to Nintendo, the latest of which coming in the survival horror genre.

Microsoft were very keen early on to sign up developers, and the result of that is a huge catalogue of developers and future games. Already one of the launch titles, Halo got a ten/ten in edge, a feat only achieved by 3 other games ever. Microsoft are not going to follow in the footsteps of Sega, and look to take a dominant role in the Console Wars.

So, Sony are not going to have an easy ride. Nintendo and Microsoft have made it quite clear that they are going to be major players in the game. And, because of Sony's vastly inferior technology, it may become the case that Sony are pushed to the third slot. This time, games aren't going to win the war; it depends solely on the outcome of them consoles themselves. One thing is for sure; it is going to be a bloody battle.
Mon 03/12/01 at 14:12
Regular
"¬_¬"
Although the PSOne was the least technologically advanced of the last generation consoles, it made a killing in the market and came away top dog. This was due to the fact that it had signed up all of the top publishers, so had a huge library of software, whereas the N64 and Dreamcast were just left with first party publications, a few second party and a small amount of third party.

The PlayStation 2 is trying to do the same; it already has a massive amount of developers on board, and a lot of great games. The only problem is, that Nintendo and Microsoft are catching.

The main reason people stayed away from the N64 was because of the cartridge format and difficulty of development. Nintendo's high licensing fees were also a problem. But now, they have adopted a format that is very easy to develop, and has still got tiny developing prices and prevents piracy. Many developers have flocked to Nintendo, the latest of which coming in the survival horror genre.

Microsoft were very keen early on to sign up developers, and the result of that is a huge catalogue of developers and future games. Already one of the launch titles, Halo got a ten/ten in edge, a feat only achieved by 3 other games ever. Microsoft are not going to follow in the footsteps of Sega, and look to take a dominant role in the Console Wars.

So, Sony are not going to have an easy ride. Nintendo and Microsoft have made it quite clear that they are going to be major players in the game. And, because of Sony's vastly inferior technology, it may become the case that Sony are pushed to the third slot. This time, games aren't going to win the war; it depends solely on the outcome of them consoles themselves. One thing is for sure; it is going to be a bloody battle.
Mon 03/12/01 at 14:18
Regular
"DS..."
one bloody battle indeed! but does the ps2 have enougth blood left to spill as the gamecube and xbox? i doubt it!
slik ~_~
Mon 03/12/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
½pint wrote:
> This time, games aren't going to win the
> war; it depends solely on the outcome of
> them consoles themselves.

I agreed with everything in your post except for this penultimate sentance. (Does it matter? No, but I still disagree).

I think that games will ALWAYS be the deciding factor in selling of consoles. Bundles around Christmas time are just not going to sell unless good games are included in the bundle. Most of the XBox bundles in the USA included Halo, which as you said Edge awarded 10/10.

If instead, XBox had been bundled with Luigi's Mansion and the Gamecube had been bundled with Halo, I think the sales of Gamecube would have increased and those of the XBox lessened.

The prime factor in choice of console isn't 'does it play games?', it's 'what games has it got?'
Mon 03/12/01 at 14:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'd also like to point out that I mistyped the word 'sentence'. (Where's that 'Edit My Post' button?)
Mon 03/12/01 at 15:41
Regular
ohhh FM whats happening to you?
all these mistakes
you should stop making your cat do your typing for you
Mon 03/12/01 at 16:51
Regular
"¬_¬"
FantasyMeister wrote:
>The prime factor in choice of console
>isn't 'does it play games?', it's 'what
>games has it got?'

I know what you mean, and I suppose you didn't get the gist of what I said. I meant, that unless the hardware is great, games won't be able to justify the hardware. imagine trying to have Halo on a PS2. What makes Halo great is the graphics, detail and loading/saving infrastructure. The PS2 would have to cut down on some of the best bits, making the game not as good. So what I mean, is that games of the future need good hardware to help the on the way to becoming great games.
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:23
X-Box and GCube ill never beat Sony and their all mighty PS2 console. Even MGS2 will beat any other game to be devloped or already finished on the other two consoles. Sony aint going down without a fight.
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:40
Regular
"¬_¬"
MGS2 will be good, I admit. So will FFX. But then again, So will Zelda GC, Mario GC, Halo, Halo2 (inevitable), Galleon, Oddworld-Munch's Odysee, Resident Evil Zero and a whole host of others. You need a taster in other consoles. I know what it is like to be devoted to a single console, and PS2 is good, but the competition is equally as great.
Mon 03/12/01 at 21:06
yeah i know thats why i'm not sure if i should also get X-box better grahics and good games or GCube with resident evil license and great games. i was thinking of buying both then i thought why have 3 different consoles so i'm thinking more of the x-box side for now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.