GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force'.
Mon 29/11/10 at 20:26
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
I was sorting out a few of my old games a few weeks back when I came across a PC version of this game which , for some bizarre reason, my laptop refused to install. Thus I forgot about it. Browsing through a local game store not long after, I found a cheap PS2 version of the same game and decided to have a go.

While Kathryn Janeway explains the background of storyline in her Captain’s Log, you will straight away recognise the cast from the original Voyager Television series. The sound can sometimes cut off midway sentence, but subtitles are put in place so that you can still read the conversations.

The overall background of this game is that: Tuvok has founded a new Hazard Team to go attack some Borg, and experiment the results of a new weapon designed specifically to defeat the Borg. As you do, first person shooter style! However this particular mission seems to have failed, because the team have been captured by the Borg. By pure coincidence you are playing Alex Munro, whose team is the only one left to save the others.

As soon as you gain access to gameplay you will once again recognise all the familiar locations and weapons, although they may be hard to control when you are first starting, you will soon get used to them after a while. Bearing in mind that the game was originally a PC game and didn’t change into the PS2 format until early 2000, the graphics are still good enough to keep playing your way through the game without any real disasters. Apart from falling to your death when walking over a skinny plank…just make sure you turn the run option off!

With your mission over you are then back to Voyager, just in time for the starship to be suddenly warped to another dimension, with lots of unfriendly aliens. Welcome back team! As you can most probably guess, the rest of the storyline is focused on trying to get Voyager out of the strange new dimension. Yet there is also another focus on the main character, Munro, who is having their own personal battles about their role in the team. I am not focusing on any particular gender, because you can choose the option at the beginning.

During this onslaught of fighting you start to realise which characters in the team you either like or hate, which can have a huge impact later on in the game if you bother to save them- or not. Although you can’t shoot at Tuvok, believe me, I tried. Some guards beamed to my position and started shooting at me until Game Over. Guess that’s one down side for the game being too accurate to the original characters, though the fact that the game designers were expecting someone to shoot him is quite amusing.

There is one particular early level of this game which stands out for me, during which you have to be very stealthy. You can get caught once, but after that you’re done for. Spending nearly an hour on this new starship, I was extremely grateful when I was allowed to bring out my riffle (yes there was a riffle) and shoot the annoying aliens instead. If you can beat that mission without going completely insane, you’ll be fine for the rest of the game!

The ending continues the format which the game has already followed so far, in other words you are sent alone to save the whole entire universe. That’s right, not just Voyager, but the whole entire universe. While the rest of the crew watches….Thanks guys! The last battle is somewhat strange for a Star Trek game, because it’s just like any other boss in another game! The enemy is placed in the middle of the location, while you try to dodge its attacks and shoot at the same time. Sound familiar?

My favourite character of the series and indeed the game is Tom Parris, and the humour which he inputs is consistent right until the very end when Munro is safely back on Voyager. The end, it’s finished! Not quite…there is a sequel that I am interested in, and which is meant to be much better. But for what it is worth, this first game is still very good for the time it was released, and kept my interest in the storyline for the whole time. It’s all about the gaming experience on Voyager’s ship:

Captain’s Log, supplemental. This game gets:
6.7/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 29/11/10 at 20:26
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
I was sorting out a few of my old games a few weeks back when I came across a PC version of this game which , for some bizarre reason, my laptop refused to install. Thus I forgot about it. Browsing through a local game store not long after, I found a cheap PS2 version of the same game and decided to have a go.

While Kathryn Janeway explains the background of storyline in her Captain’s Log, you will straight away recognise the cast from the original Voyager Television series. The sound can sometimes cut off midway sentence, but subtitles are put in place so that you can still read the conversations.

The overall background of this game is that: Tuvok has founded a new Hazard Team to go attack some Borg, and experiment the results of a new weapon designed specifically to defeat the Borg. As you do, first person shooter style! However this particular mission seems to have failed, because the team have been captured by the Borg. By pure coincidence you are playing Alex Munro, whose team is the only one left to save the others.

As soon as you gain access to gameplay you will once again recognise all the familiar locations and weapons, although they may be hard to control when you are first starting, you will soon get used to them after a while. Bearing in mind that the game was originally a PC game and didn’t change into the PS2 format until early 2000, the graphics are still good enough to keep playing your way through the game without any real disasters. Apart from falling to your death when walking over a skinny plank…just make sure you turn the run option off!

With your mission over you are then back to Voyager, just in time for the starship to be suddenly warped to another dimension, with lots of unfriendly aliens. Welcome back team! As you can most probably guess, the rest of the storyline is focused on trying to get Voyager out of the strange new dimension. Yet there is also another focus on the main character, Munro, who is having their own personal battles about their role in the team. I am not focusing on any particular gender, because you can choose the option at the beginning.

During this onslaught of fighting you start to realise which characters in the team you either like or hate, which can have a huge impact later on in the game if you bother to save them- or not. Although you can’t shoot at Tuvok, believe me, I tried. Some guards beamed to my position and started shooting at me until Game Over. Guess that’s one down side for the game being too accurate to the original characters, though the fact that the game designers were expecting someone to shoot him is quite amusing.

There is one particular early level of this game which stands out for me, during which you have to be very stealthy. You can get caught once, but after that you’re done for. Spending nearly an hour on this new starship, I was extremely grateful when I was allowed to bring out my riffle (yes there was a riffle) and shoot the annoying aliens instead. If you can beat that mission without going completely insane, you’ll be fine for the rest of the game!

The ending continues the format which the game has already followed so far, in other words you are sent alone to save the whole entire universe. That’s right, not just Voyager, but the whole entire universe. While the rest of the crew watches….Thanks guys! The last battle is somewhat strange for a Star Trek game, because it’s just like any other boss in another game! The enemy is placed in the middle of the location, while you try to dodge its attacks and shoot at the same time. Sound familiar?

My favourite character of the series and indeed the game is Tom Parris, and the humour which he inputs is consistent right until the very end when Munro is safely back on Voyager. The end, it’s finished! Not quite…there is a sequel that I am interested in, and which is meant to be much better. But for what it is worth, this first game is still very good for the time it was released, and kept my interest in the storyline for the whole time. It’s all about the gaming experience on Voyager’s ship:

Captain’s Log, supplemental. This game gets:
6.7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.