GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] The Sims 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Sims 3'.
Mon 29/11/10 at 15:39
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
[Game] The Sims 3.

You get up in the morning, get ready for work, come back home at night, spend time with the wife and kids, do all the chores round the house, then when the kids go off to bed you want to chill out and play a game.

So you pop in a copy of The Sims 3, where you can get up in the morning, get ready for work, come back home at night, spend time with the wife and kids, do all the chores round the house, then when the kids go off to bed you want to chill out and play a game.

The Sims 3, a real life simulator, in theory it should be a bad idea, afterall games are about escaping everyday life, not reliving it, but for some reason, this is actually one of the most addictive games I've played in a long time. It's a concept that shouldn't really work, but it does.

The Sims 3 is one of those games that lets you make it what it is, and lets you decide how to play it. You can either play it in the aforementioned way, or you can use a little imagination and make the game a whole lot more fun than it sounds in it's most basic form.

You don't have to go down the route of getting a job and waiting for 10 minutes on your sim getting back home like in previous games, you can make your own fortune by doing things like going fishing, becoming an author and working from home, busking in the local park, doing odd jobs for local citizens and searching around town for hidden treasures.

Of course there's no point in making a fortune if you've nothing to spend it on. You can spend your hard earned on creating and designing your very own house from scratch. The new house building tools are very extensive, and for the first time on console, you can build more than one story high. In fact I would say this is my most enjoyable aspect of the game, you can whittle away hours of your life just getting your house perfect, and it can become very addictive to the point of becoming an obsession.

New to the series are the Karma powers which range from increasing your sims' luck, giving him extra money through to allowing you to cause earthquakes and meteor showers around town if you fancy being a little evil. So for people with a God complex, now's your chance to either help or hinder an entire town of little sims.

The game itself is great fun to play and is much more interesting than it's basic concept would have you believe, but it also has some flaws that I should let you all know about.

One of it's biggest flaws is in it's technical performance. Sometimes the 360 struggles to keep up with the game and there can be some long periods where everything slows to a crawl and loading times can be pretty lengthy at times. However I found this was helped quite considerably by saving the game to the hard-drive but it does take up almost 4GB of memory.

It can also become a little repetative as you try to keep to your daily routine, as to allow your sim to develop skills to its fullest you usually have to repeatedly perform the same task over and over as your sims learns its new skill which can become really boring but is unfortunetly unavoidable. The only good thing about this is once your sim develops its skill it can often be very rewarding as money is earned much quicker.

Overall the game does have its faults, but it is also one of the best games you can play to just simply relax with as you can play it through without using too much brain matter, and it's one of my favourite games this year.

8/10
Sat 04/12/10 at 00:11
"Sonic Rocks!!!!!!!!"
Great review Torino! I'm not personally a sims fan myself, for the reasons you just stated, but I still think it's an accurate review. The only thing is, it sucks that such a popular game is on only two syystems, one of which isn't really a system. Keep up the good work!
Tue 30/11/10 at 08:57
"possibly impossible"
Interesting read.

It sounds like an improvement over previous Sims games and good to see that consoles are still being supported in what would otherwise be a PC only game.
Mon 29/11/10 at 15:39
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
[Game] The Sims 3.

You get up in the morning, get ready for work, come back home at night, spend time with the wife and kids, do all the chores round the house, then when the kids go off to bed you want to chill out and play a game.

So you pop in a copy of The Sims 3, where you can get up in the morning, get ready for work, come back home at night, spend time with the wife and kids, do all the chores round the house, then when the kids go off to bed you want to chill out and play a game.

The Sims 3, a real life simulator, in theory it should be a bad idea, afterall games are about escaping everyday life, not reliving it, but for some reason, this is actually one of the most addictive games I've played in a long time. It's a concept that shouldn't really work, but it does.

The Sims 3 is one of those games that lets you make it what it is, and lets you decide how to play it. You can either play it in the aforementioned way, or you can use a little imagination and make the game a whole lot more fun than it sounds in it's most basic form.

You don't have to go down the route of getting a job and waiting for 10 minutes on your sim getting back home like in previous games, you can make your own fortune by doing things like going fishing, becoming an author and working from home, busking in the local park, doing odd jobs for local citizens and searching around town for hidden treasures.

Of course there's no point in making a fortune if you've nothing to spend it on. You can spend your hard earned on creating and designing your very own house from scratch. The new house building tools are very extensive, and for the first time on console, you can build more than one story high. In fact I would say this is my most enjoyable aspect of the game, you can whittle away hours of your life just getting your house perfect, and it can become very addictive to the point of becoming an obsession.

New to the series are the Karma powers which range from increasing your sims' luck, giving him extra money through to allowing you to cause earthquakes and meteor showers around town if you fancy being a little evil. So for people with a God complex, now's your chance to either help or hinder an entire town of little sims.

The game itself is great fun to play and is much more interesting than it's basic concept would have you believe, but it also has some flaws that I should let you all know about.

One of it's biggest flaws is in it's technical performance. Sometimes the 360 struggles to keep up with the game and there can be some long periods where everything slows to a crawl and loading times can be pretty lengthy at times. However I found this was helped quite considerably by saving the game to the hard-drive but it does take up almost 4GB of memory.

It can also become a little repetative as you try to keep to your daily routine, as to allow your sim to develop skills to its fullest you usually have to repeatedly perform the same task over and over as your sims learns its new skill which can become really boring but is unfortunetly unavoidable. The only good thing about this is once your sim develops its skill it can often be very rewarding as money is earned much quicker.

Overall the game does have its faults, but it is also one of the best games you can play to just simply relax with as you can play it through without using too much brain matter, and it's one of my favourite games this year.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.