GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Selling Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/12/01 at 17:32
Regular
I was sitting down watch television, when an advertisment came on for Pro Evolution Soccer on the PS2. This first go me thinking about whether this will get people to but it over FIFA 2002, and then I started to think about what actually sells games.
What actually cause games to shift units, to actually start flying off the shelves.

The first thing that popped into my mind, was the advertising, as I had just seen one. For the game to actually sell well, it needs to have an agressive advertising campaign. These advertisments need to actually make people think,'Wow, that looks good, I'll have to get that'. The adverts on TV should show good pieces of the action from the game, something that really shows how good the games really is. Advertisments in Nagazines and papers should really show out, to make people take interest.

But, that can't be it. There must be other aspects that help games to shift units. Well, I then thought of games reviews. A lot of gamers out there go by reviews, and if that games review isn't that impressive, they will be put off by the game.

Anything else. Ahh, yes, licenses. The first thing that I thought of here was the dominance in sales that FIFA had over ISS games. FIFA had all of the names and the clubs, but ISS was far superior gameplay wise, yet FIFA outsold ISS completely. It just goes to show how much of on impact a license has on gamers. The problem here though is that 8 times out of ten, a licensed game turns out to be pants.

I also spared a though for sequels as well. If the first games was brilliant and sold really well, then the sequel will probably sell well because the first games has pathed the way for it.

Am I forgetting anything. Oh yes, the price of the games. How could I forget this one? If the price is cheap, the game seems more attractive to the gamers eye, especially at a time such as christmas, with parents looking around for presents, and if the see games with a £9.99 or £14.99 price tag on it, they will most likely but this, then a full priced game.

Which one of these points prevails. In my opinion, it is the licensing and price tags. A lisenced game will sell well no matter what the reviews were like, and FIFA is a good example of this. I know it is all down to taste as well, but still.
And, as I have already said, is the games is cheap, then the probability that it will sell is high.

What do you think? What entices you to buy a game? Is it the license of a game, the price, the advertisment campaign, the reviews, or something that I missed out?
Sat 20/11/10 at 17:54
Evenin..........

The plan is to do Great Hill and head towards Rivington :)

There will be several opportunities to cut the ride short for those needing to get back a bit earlier ;)

Meet at the Hare & Hounds at 9am and route/s will be decided!

Hey!........ it'll be a month to the shortest day lol!
Mon 03/12/01 at 12:48
I normally like to read a review before I buy a game. I'd like to know what is in the game. I don't generally go by the score because everyone has their own opinion of a game.

I do sometimes get enticed to buy a game depending on the name or whether it is a sequel. WWF Smackdown 3 is an example. I do now wish that I hadn't bought it and just hired it out, because I don't play it anymore. It hasn't got enough there to keep me playing it.

That actually brings me on to to something else. Do you think that hiring out games can also help in that game shifting units?
Sun 02/12/01 at 18:15
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Goten wrote:

>What entices you to buy a game?

Seeing as im an N64 owner, we don't have many adverts, so its usually from either reading a good review, and seeing what the overall "Rate" of a game was. None of my mates have N64's. (And, I don't have any mates to ask ;oP)

Talking to people aswell on MSN makes me decide if the game is any good or not. And, just pure instinct. I bought Mission Impossible for N64 after a shabby review and only about 70% But, I thought it was damned good fun.

>Is it the license of a game?

Well, Yes. I bought Fifa98 RTTWC rather than ISS64 because of the players and teams. I thought it was good. But then I bought ISS98 because it was cheap and it was really good
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:40
Cyclone wrote:
> Female nudity - or if there is none, as is most likley the case, whether I've
> heard of it/its the genre I like etc.

lol. An unexpected reply, but a welcome one.
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Female nudity - or if there is none, as is most likley the case, whether I've heard of it/its the genre I like etc.
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:32
I was sitting down watch television, when an advertisment came on for Pro Evolution Soccer on the PS2. This first go me thinking about whether this will get people to but it over FIFA 2002, and then I started to think about what actually sells games.
What actually cause games to shift units, to actually start flying off the shelves.

The first thing that popped into my mind, was the advertising, as I had just seen one. For the game to actually sell well, it needs to have an agressive advertising campaign. These advertisments need to actually make people think,'Wow, that looks good, I'll have to get that'. The adverts on TV should show good pieces of the action from the game, something that really shows how good the games really is. Advertisments in Nagazines and papers should really show out, to make people take interest.

But, that can't be it. There must be other aspects that help games to shift units. Well, I then thought of games reviews. A lot of gamers out there go by reviews, and if that games review isn't that impressive, they will be put off by the game.

Anything else. Ahh, yes, licenses. The first thing that I thought of here was the dominance in sales that FIFA had over ISS games. FIFA had all of the names and the clubs, but ISS was far superior gameplay wise, yet FIFA outsold ISS completely. It just goes to show how much of on impact a license has on gamers. The problem here though is that 8 times out of ten, a licensed game turns out to be pants.

I also spared a though for sequels as well. If the first games was brilliant and sold really well, then the sequel will probably sell well because the first games has pathed the way for it.

Am I forgetting anything. Oh yes, the price of the games. How could I forget this one? If the price is cheap, the game seems more attractive to the gamers eye, especially at a time such as christmas, with parents looking around for presents, and if the see games with a £9.99 or £14.99 price tag on it, they will most likely but this, then a full priced game.

Which one of these points prevails. In my opinion, it is the licensing and price tags. A lisenced game will sell well no matter what the reviews were like, and FIFA is a good example of this. I know it is all down to taste as well, but still.
And, as I have already said, is the games is cheap, then the probability that it will sell is high.

What do you think? What entices you to buy a game? Is it the license of a game, the price, the advertisment campaign, the reviews, or something that I missed out?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.