GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things Can Only Get Better!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/08/00 at 20:18
Regular
I think that as the future draws near, gameing can only get better. So far, consoles have just been getting better and better, and I think, well I hope that they will keep on progressing. With the Nintenda Cube and the Playstation 2, the future will be full of surprises.
Makid
Fri 25/08/00 at 20:18
I think that as the future draws near, gameing can only get better. So far, consoles have just been getting better and better, and I think, well I hope that they will keep on progressing. With the Nintenda Cube and the Playstation 2, the future will be full of surprises.
Makid
Sat 26/08/00 at 13:57
Sure, gaming will keep on developing, because that's just a fact of life. But I'm not so sure that it'll actually progress much beyond a certain point.
Of course, we've all seen films that have plots along the lines of "The game is indistinguishable from reality!!! Ohmygod!!!", and I hope that we'll stop things before they get that far, but there is a limit to what games can achieve. The fact that programmers have to write every single bit of a game themselves means that Holy Grails like truly non-linear games are impractical, and the best that we're ever likely to able to make will be a linear game with a few user-defined plot twists (and, hey, we can do that already - just look at Deus Ex and Blade Runner). I think that realism is also limited in prospects. Quake 3's curved surfaces are undeniably lovely, but there's only so many polys that you can push into a level, and so unless we develop a completely new system from scratch (a step which I shouldn't think any developer will be bold enough to take for some time) then what exactly are we going to achieve in the future.
There's also a danger of misunderstanding what progress is. Progress, in my opinion at least, isn't simply a case of making a more beautiful game. That's nice, but what really matters is a well thought out plot, and clever, original design. And, if you'll forgive me for being so pessimistic, decent ideas are few and far between as it is. The future might not be as lovely as you think.
Sat 26/08/00 at 19:24
don't be daft! There's loads of good ideas, the time between them is because it takes a long time to make them into a reality! What we need is more edge of seat games, have you ever played Goldeneye on 007 mode with enemy damage on 1000% and enemy health on 34%, that's realistic damage, one bullet will kill you and one them (except in gun or 2 in the arms, 0% gives instant kill if you shoot em in the gun). It's great! So games where you have to be stealthy and think are what we need, all guns blazing with the knowledge that if you kill these guys there's a health pack at the end isn't nearly as much fun! So imagine Thief where one hit and you are dead, and no save funtion around any corner you gotta be stealthy and you gotta be quick, and remember that your enemies are just as human, and therefore weak as you! Hitman: Codename 47 looks like a good stealth system, but i wonder if damage is realistic, if it is this is going to be one of the best games ever!
Tue 29/08/00 at 12:00
Regular
"not dead"
I think that all games should give you an option of how much damage you can take. I can see the added challenge in not being able to take any hits but it would be so frustrating if you had to begin at this level. Also save features are good if you don't have much time to devote to a game. I have a daughter so I sometimes grab half and hour to play a game, so I need to be able to save my progress!
Tue 29/08/00 at 13:29
Of course things can only get better. Developers have the expertise and power to break boundaries that in the past were unbreakable.
With the new consoles:
Dreamcast
PS2
GameCube
X-Box
Indrema
Nuon...
Competition will be at its peak meaning better games at more competitive prices. Never before has it been so good for a games player.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.