GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband losing sync when phone rings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/11/10 at 16:22
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola, I'm not having much luck lately...

I've just raised Support Ticket 165158 but thought I would post as well due to the email problems and it might be easier to read responses here.

Starting today I'm losing sync when I get an incoming call.
Once the phone stops ringing my ADSL will re-sync.
Outgoing calls aren't a problem.

I've tested directly in the TEST socket with no other phone equipment connected and if I call my landline the ADSL still drops (I see the SNR going to around '-12db'!).

I wouldn't be surprised if water has got in the system somewhere with the stormy weather the last few days.
Unfortunately the voice side of the line is fine so it's over to you.

I've just called a neighbour (also on Freeola ADSL!) and they are fine - but their phone line goes the opposite way down the lane to mine, so if there is a line local fault they don't seem to be feeling it.

Thanks in advance a fed up Hmmm...
Wed 17/11/10 at 16:11
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Looks like my earlier conclusions were correct :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

I guess that's a good thing then.........
Tue 16/11/10 at 18:07
"Are you sure?"
Looks like my earlier conclusions were correct :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/11/10 at 16:15
"Are you sure?"
I'm updating my thread for the record not necessarily for support!

Other people will search for "Broadband losing sync when phone rings" so this could help others with their broadband problems and also help them find Freeola :¬)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Broadband losing sync when phone rings - this seems to have been related to a small nick in the cable between my house and the BT pole letting water in creating a HR (high resistance) fault.

BT changed the wire and all seems well (hasn't rained yet though!).

45 Minutes after BT left I noticed my line lose connection (sync) - naturally I assumed that there was still a line fault! :¬(

After more poking about I realised Interleaving (error correction) was not running and I was now in Fast Path mode. Looking at my router status and reported errors this change happened when the line lost connection. (Lots of FEC errors before loss of connection and no FEC errors as expected when running in Fast Path)

Running in Fast Path mode my router is now reporting 'Error Seconds' which is unusual for my line when everything is running normally. I'm assuming (hoping) this is due to the amount of CRC/HEC errors being recorded - this would normally be lower with Interleaving running.

Even though a 'normal' BT Engineer arrived for me, Freeola did mention that it was raised as an SFI (Special Faults Investigation).

I've just stumbled across a BT document that states:
"It must be noted that any Special Fault Investigation (SFI) that concludes in a BT network fix will result in an Auto SNR reset being triggered."

So I'm hoping that this is what happened in my case - even though my Target SNR was already 6db and wasn't required.
I believe this 'reset' also sets Fast Path/Interleaving back to 'auto' for the system to (re)decide whether it should be on or not. (The document says it resets everything that would be done with a CCSNR request.)

This would explain the line dropping after being 'fixed' and also the different line behaviour I'm seeing.

That's what I'm hoping anyway!
Perhaps it's just wishful thinking :¬)

I've requested Interleaving to go back on - so then I'll know if the line runs clean (normal error levels) again and if my above ramble explains things.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/11/10 at 14:44
"Are you sure?"
Numnut wrote:
Your reply is on it's way.........

Many thanks Numnut :¬)
EDIT & Warhunt!

@Garin
Become a Freeola customer and you too can have this type of attention :¬P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/11/10 at 14:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
There technically is (although I don't like being referred to as a "department" ;) )
Mon 15/11/10 at 14:37
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I thought there was a dedicated department for handling Hmmm...'s support requests anyway. :p
Mon 15/11/10 at 14:26
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Sorry I thought someone might be able to comment here :¬)

Ticket submitted as requested [165399]

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Your reply is on it's way.........

It's much nicer for us if we use the support system for these kinds of requests - LukeM has magically created a way of linking all previous ticket responses with a particular user account, so if we need to refer back to anything or any actions we've taken previously we can find the relevant information quite quickly, rather than searching through (what could be lots of), forum posts for some background info!
Mon 15/11/10 at 14:11
"Are you sure?"
Sorry I thought someone might be able to comment here :¬)

Ticket submitted as requested [165399]

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/11/10 at 14:04
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You know the score here I assume Send in a support ticket with the details Hmmm... if you want technical support regarding this issue.

One of my colleagues will see that almost immediately and pick it up (99% of the time).
Mon 15/11/10 at 13:43
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola, me again,
Please see my last updates if you haven't read them yet :¬)

I'm wondering (hoping) if Freeola/EntaNet/BT might have been looking at my line since it was returned?

It's looking at if I'm now running in 'Fast Path' mode (i.e. interleaving is off) for some reason since dropping sync earlier after my engineer visit?

As my line usually needs all the help it can get to stay stable this might not be the best for me. I'm seeing occasional 'Error Seconds' which when everything is running normally is very unusual unless there's a storm or other problem.

Can someone please take a look and let me know why my Fast Path/Interleaving status may have changed?

Sorry to bore everyone!
Thanks as always,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.