GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/12/01 at 09:37
Regular
This, my good friends, is pop at it’s most subtle.

I’m not usually one to care about a bands image and ‘coolness’ – if I did then Bryan Adams and Five would certainly not be on my CD rack. However, with some music, image can be important simply because it affects your perception of the music. This is one album where image spills over into music.

Linkin Park are the bridge between pop and metal. In case you didn’t know, they are as manufactured as Hear’Say; only they’ve been given a different image. Instead of the pretty, smiley, happy boy bands we have learnt to hate, the producers of Linkin Park have made them a pretty, shouting unhappy I hate my parent’s image. And it has worked, fooling a lot of people into thinking that LP are a genuine ‘real’ band. However, it has also made a lot of music purists shun nu-metal.

Gone slightly off the subject, I think. Right then, onto the album in question – ‘Hybrid Theory’. Bear in mind that I’ve lost the CD case, and so I’ve had to guess some of the names.

Track One: Papercut – First off, the lyrics to this are some of the most meaningless tosh that I have ever had the misfortune to hear. This is true for the rest of the album as well – the lyrics seem to be just a collection of sentences that rhyme, without having a message, story, meaning, or even a consistent subject matter. For this track, the chorus is about having a face inside you… riiiight. I didn’t think manufactured bands smoked that much pot. Ignoring the lyrics, it isn’t actually too bad a track.

Track Two: One Step Closer (to the hedge) – Somewhat idiotically, there is no pause between tracks. The producers of this clearly have no idea what they’re doing, because blending the tracks into each other on an album like this where the songs are all so similar is perhaps the biggest mistake that could be made. Again, nonsensical lyrics prevail here – “The less I hear the less you say / You’ll find that out anyway”. This isn’t amazingly bad to start with, but it degenerates into someone shouting Shut Up over and over again which wrecks the track.

Track Three: With You - Starts off with some bubbly noises and even more crappy lyrics. From now on, unless I say otherwise, the lyrics are pants by default. Nothing amazing, just light verses into a heavy chorus. In fact, I think there are actually two choruses, which is nice.

Track Four: - Lots of scratching in this filler track. Average stuff, a guy shouting to guitars.

OK, so far the album isn’t great. The lyrics are apauling (sp?), and all of the tracks sound pretty similar. Papercut is fairly good, but then it is the first track, which means the album hadn’t had a chance to become monotonous. Thus far, it’s got 2/5, but the middle section (which tends to be the strongest part of any album) is coming up.

Track Five: Crawling – Excellent stuff. Top track on the album, bar none. The chorus is great ‘melodic screaming’, and it’s perfect for turning up loud when you’re urinated off with something. When you watch the video to this, the lyrics actually make some degree of sense – but then, you shouldn’t really need a video to aid your understanding of music. I think. Tempo changes are used well here, with echoing quiet verses building up to a heavy chorus. The icing on the cake is the emotion in the voice – yeah, so it may be faked, but it adds immensely to the quality of the track.

Track Six: Runaway – No, not a cover of The Corrs song (unfortunately), just another track. Not as good as Crawling, but still a bloomin’ (heh – don’t think I ever managed to use that word before) good track. Gets a bit repetitive towards the end, but I like the vocals.

Track Seven: By Myself – Reminds me of Metropolis Zone from Sonic The Hodgeheg 2. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, don’t worry. Feels very metaley –not metaly as in the music type, but as in the sound you get when you hit two pieces of metal together. Another of my faveorites.

Track Eight: In The End – Has been doing the rounds on the radio recently. It’s in a strange position on the album, because a track like this really should go at the very end. Still a fairly good track.

Very strong middle section, not a poor track there. Brings the album up to a 3/5.

Track Nine: Another Place – Boring, generic stuff. There is one strong spot, where they use the old slow whispering into big shouting bit, which works really well, but the rest is forgettable.

Track Ten: Hey, look at me, filler track!- Actually features one good lyric, comparing a memory to a crumpled scrap of paper. Grating vocals, incredibly painful guitar, and an extremely poofy held note at the very end. Even the goldfish try to leave the room when this one starts up.

Track Eleven: The Scratching One – Does exactly what it says on the tin. Reminiscent of a track on The Offspring’s Americana, with no vocals at all. It is seemingly on the alb to show off Linkin Porks scratching skills – pity no-one cares about scratching nowadays.

Track Twelve: A Place For My Head – Not suited to be the last track at all. In The End should have that job. Dull stuff, and so a perfect end to the album.

It weighs in at a rip-off of 37minutes, roughly half of what a CD can hold. If I had paid money for this, I would be absolutely furious, because it’s an obvious example of big record companies trying to rip us off. When the next album comes out, it will basically be the missing half of this one, meaning that to get a complete album you will have the shell out 30 squids.

Overall, this is, in a word, pants. There are a couple of good tracks, but it’s too short, has too much filler, and don’t get me started on the lyrics again.

Cheers for reading, Mouldy Cheese.
Sun 02/12/01 at 14:19
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
"Examples of this are found in the lyrics of Kid Rock, Dr. Dre and Nelly for example!! (you're number one idols!!)"

Yes... I can see where you got that idea from.

I once bought a Kid Rock album, but it wasn't too great. Dres 2001 was my first 'hard' album, and so I still like it. Never touched anything to do with Nelly.
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:38
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
buy Fugazis new album 'the argument'. I got it for just £8 in a virgin megastore yesterday. It is post hardcore from the people who invented it.

Can't argue with that can you?
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:36
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
a point about Linkin Park...

You say they rush released the album to live up to high expectations...
If they were trying to be true to their fans they wouldn't have done that, and would have taken the time to get it right and do the best possible songs.

And don't give me any 'you're biased' crap. I really don't care about Linkin Park, I don't like their music, but if other people do that's their opinion and their choice.

Oh, but I do agree about that rap thing (not that I know if mouldy cheese likes rap as you seem so sure he does), but the lyrics about how many b*tches they have or how many drugs they do aren't exactly meaningful, and just send bad messages to fans.
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:15
"Uzi Lover"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
Yall$ is Limp's best album, and they're only
> going down-hill from now-on, especially with Wes Borland gone!!

...........and with Fred Durst on the mic.
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:13
"Uzi Lover"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
Look at Rage Against The Machine, Limp
> Bizkit, and the Deftones. All similar to Linkin Parks' genre of music!!!

Please don't compare Deftones to Linkin Park as they are nothing like them! I think you are judging Deftones by their one song which is rap/rock which is 'Back To School' and that is the one the Deftones have said they HATE preforming. Why? because it''s part of the popular rap/rock/nu-metal genre that is taking over our airwaves and being mounted into teenage brains all around the world!

Deftones first album was a post-hardcore album and contianed some truly great music, whilst 'Around The Fur', their second album combined the post-hardcore genre with some newer metal sounds. Their latest album, 'White Pony' is a more emo-metal expreience combining melodic textures and hard metal riffs.

The thing is, Chino does not rap every single song he 'sings' and 'screams' adding texture to the songs. Unlike a couple of young guys rapping with words put together to rhyhm which don't make sense and a guitarist with ear m***'s on. In other words, their songs don't sound all the same and I consider the Deftones not to be part of the 'nu'metal' onsalught which is currently making teenie boppers spread in their millions.
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
The alternative is that you're a die hard po/dance music fan and never miss an episode of ToTp (top of the pops)!!

And you can't except that bands like LinkinPark and Alien Ant Farm appear in the charts, when their music isn't weak, gay, and poofy, like yuor example of Hearsay!!

And you call them manufactured and so on, to try and say that they try to be Pop music, when they clearly DON'T!!!

And of course their lyrics don't fit in!! They're too loud and violent for your delicate little ears!!!! And this is what scares you away from their kind of music!!

I highly reccomend Hybrid Theory, and if you are thinking about buying it, DO SO, NOW!!!!! But don't get Limp Bizkit's 'New Old Songs' remix album!!!! It's out tommorow and not worth a penny!! Just a load of remixes, and it's NOT a follow up to Chocolate Strafish And The Hot Dog Flavoured Water. 3 Dollar Bill, Yall$ is Limp's best album, and they're only going down-hill from now-on, especially with Wes Borland gone!!
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Where do I start.........
It'a abvious to me, Mouldy Cheese, that you are obviously a fan of the even more 'Poppy' and extremely gay, rap/hip-hop music!!! And as with many others like yourself you dis-like Linkin Park creating great music, being labelled 'rap/rock'!!!

You find it hard to listen to something decent that contains samples of rap music, but isn't fully based on it. You call Linkin Park as manufactured as Hearsay, when they have known each other for years (except Chester Bennington) and have been in a nu-metal band (NOT pop group) fors everal years!! Before signing a deal with WBA record label. They have gone through the names: Xero, Hybrod Theory and now Linkin Park, before they signed up with the record label. Why do you call them manufactured?? Because you feel insecure and can't understand how Rap and Rock can be mixed into music created by 1 band!!

Look at Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit, and the Deftones. All similar to Linkin Parks' genre of music!!!

You call their lyrics meaningless becuase they're not like what you'd expect from a band that creates partially Rap music. Because Mike Shinoda is rappin' about how much money he has, how good he is in bed, and how many 'b*****s' he can pull in 5 minutes!! Examples of this are found in the lyrics of Kid Rock, Dr. Dre and Nelly for example!! (you're number one idols!!)

Linkin Park are in the meatl scene and therefore their lyrics are based around common rock/metal themes (life, experiences, feelings, expressing themselves!!), and not the 'self-loving' lyrics of full on rap music!!

I probably haven't said enough, this is very basic. But there are many ways that many people, like myself can defend Linkin Park, and their album Hybrid Theory, which is one of the best nu-metal ablbums released over the last 13 months!!!

Songs like Papercut, One Step Closer, With You, By Myslef and Pushing Me Away for example, are all about what Rock music is all about!! Expressing yourself, not loving yourself!!!n I admit it's too short, and that track 11 (Cur For The Itch) isn't what you'd expect, but it WAS rush-released and still lives up to high expectations for one of the biggest nu-metal bands to come out of America!!!!
Sun 02/12/01 at 12:39
Regular
"You've upset me"
Nah, Blink 182 should od an album called The Anus Theory.

Anyway, Linkin Park, I like Crawling and One Step Closer but that's about it.
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:40
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Weird Wonder wrote:
> I'm getting Hybrid Theory for Christmas. Cool. Yeah! I know it's a bit late but
> there you go.

I've got Hybrid Theory and it is a wicked album! It has a lot of strong tracks, but it only runs for 36 minutes! They could have put 25 tracks on that disc, which is a reason why I don't buy many albums. It's well worth getting, so it's a decent choice.

Firebalt.

PS. I already reviewed it a few weeks back!
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:06
Regular
""
I'm getting Hybrid Theory for Christmas. Cool. Yeah! I know it's a bit late but there you go.

Perhaps they should make a album called anus theory. If you don't understand then talk to m later or ask RBS.

=B0p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.