GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What gamers want!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/12/01 at 00:36
Regular
Quite recently I've realised how many of you 'dedicatees' of gaming change your attitude towards games very frequently. What I mean is that games which aren't new or different in some way don't appeal much to us today, especially sequels.

PS2 is well known for its games, but there are plenty of games that have disappointed, mainly because it was just the same as its previous PSX predeccessor - and some were just simply rubbish, not mentioning any names *cough* Silpheed *cough*.

Tekken Tag is the fourth in the Tekken series that enhanced itself onto the PS2. Okay, at the first couple of plays we were delighted, but then you quickly realise that the only differences brought in are of the flashy graphics and surroundings, but no improvement in how the game plays.

Don't let me even start with Fifa because I'm sure you all know the score by now...

ISS was a good, but not to its full potential football game that made its way on the PS2. Once again, the main difference we saw were the graphics, but the gameplay didn't seem to be up to Konami's standards. Players seemed almost constipated at times and shots didn't have that needed realistic touch. It kept me wondering why it didn't play like the Evolution titles for the Playstation, then I soon found out that it was made by a different set of Konami developers from the Evolution creators.

I'll move swiftly on now to the recent PS2 sequel, WWF Smackdown!JBI. Many of you including me were not fully satisfied as this late reincarnation brought most of its elements from the PSX instalment all the way to the PS2, but for no special effect. In fact, most of us were pretty annoyed because the Story mode was too unrealistic and the wrestlers weren't near up to half of what PS2 can pull off. Smackdown!JBI is proof that we gamers want to see new features added to a game. When the first Smackdown hit our little, grey Playstation's we loved it! Now it's been continued by JBI most of us have hated it. This spells 'new demands' to me!

I think you all get the drift by now. We've seen so many sequels that offer nothing new in terms of gameplay, maybe the slight enhancement in graphics, but graphics isn't everything in a game!

Then again, look on the bright side. PS2 has or is about to receive greater sequels:

Gran Turismo 3 - GT developers just don't know when or where to stop with their great games. It seems like every one of their GT creations have offered something new, and GT3 offers better graphics, gameplay, cars, racing tracks etc. all in one!

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - The king of survival horror with the huge hint of strategy made its way to our PS2 in September and it didn't disappoint - thank goodness! We saw more zombies, weapons, POLYGONS PER SECOND and fantastic new cutscenes encouraging the storyline.

Pro Evolution Soccer - As the first ISS sequel for the PS2 aggrevated, Pro Evo revived its reputation. THE most realistic title for it's genre just hit our screens and have left us visiting our thumb therapists day on ends. You thought the other ISS titles were addictive, just wait to you play this one!

Silent Hill 2 - What?! Another survival horror game for PS2, I hear you say. Well...yes! It's a spine-chilling adventure not to be played alone in the dark, and at the same time it's great. The graphics are one of the best I've seen for the PS2, yet and the game has had a huge make-over needed for a more fearful effect, which you'll soon experience after a couple of minutes play!

Tony Hawks 3 - The skateboard champ is set to release another winner sometime soon. From the many previews and information I've seen Tony Hawks 3 definitely is one to get for a complete collection of great games for your PS2. No, you won't see the same thing as the previous PSX and Dreamcast titles because the gameplay and graphics have enhanced greatly.

James Bond: AUF - This was recently released two days ago in the UK and I must say that it wipes the floor with any other James Bond title, especially its Playstation predeccessors that hugely disappointed. AUF is full of swift FPS action and the controls are unexpectedly quite simple to use. It's about time that Playstation saw a decent Bond title anyway, not those shaken AND stirred ones!

Grand Theft Auto 3 - This is probably the best example of a sort of game we haven't seen in years, literally! For once we have the opportunity to do whatever crime-based activity we like in a game, and the freedom to go wherever we like in the huge Liberty City. Previous GTA titles have been in birds-eye-view, but this latest creation is in 3D, and still offers you to play in old GTA style for whatever reason you may have. The majority of PS2 owners already have their copy, but if you're one of those left out I suggest you get your hands on this...NOW!

Final Fantasy X & XI - Yes that's right, we're to see two new FF generation titles for our PS2. Remember FFVII, very addictive with lots and lots of dialogue and constant pop-up battles - well make sure you already know what to expect from these PS2 sequels or else you'll find yourself in a huge state of shock and amazement. The storyline has changed once again along with your hero's looks, but the most noticable change has to be the graphics. The movies and cutscenes look tremendous, seems like the Final Fantasy movie developers have got to work again because this game looks too real! This is FF with a fantastic difference!

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Last, but definitely not least is the mighty Hideo Kojima and Konami sequel Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. This is THE most anticipated game ever in the history of gaming and there's no surprise why! We've played demos, seen prolonged previews and WOW does this game look good, as well as play good. Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation was a hugely intense adventure with a great storyline that kept us on our little, grey boxes for ages - so just imagine the possibilities on the PS2! Lucky US and Japanese gamers are probably enduring on this legendary title already right as I'm typing now...so to make sure you get your hands on this I suggest you do the same thing as I have and pre-order your copy...NOW!

Already, Sony are promising more and more titles never before seen on a Playstation console like Virtua Fighter 4 and The Matrix for a next year release. As usual, the main aim of these games is to meet gamers demands and produce something new. A basic rule for games is that if it's the same, it's avoided, but if it's new and improved in an effective way, we go for it!

Thanks for reading
Sat 06/11/10 at 17:34
Regular
Directions to get to Lee Quarry on Sunday - Take the M65 to J8, Then Take the A56 South towards Haslingden & Rawtenstall, go straight across one roundabout, then take the A681 through Rawtenstall and onto Waterfoot, once in Waterfoot follow directions below.

As you enter waterfoot there is a BP garage on your left. Opposite the garage is a right turn which leads to a small car park. There is also plenty of parking on the road too. The exact location can be found by pasting this in to google and then clicking maps 53.692122,-2.254302

Alternatively on t...he A56 there is a parking area just before the first roundabout (about 2 - 3miles from the M65, for those who have not been before we could meet there at 9.00am let me know if you want to meet, cheers si
See more
Sat 06/11/10 at 17:02
Evenin.........

We're having another bash at Lee & Cragg Quarries :)
Those that haven't done these two are in for a treat!

Meet at same car parking bit as last time 09:30hrs ;)

Whoever has the post code or co-ords for this one, please post here :)

07972 710 440 for any info.
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:00
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Good point Pro Evo. It's up to the developers to deliver the great games, not the same old ones that've been left in the trash were they belong. Right now I'm glad to see this all changing, especially on my favourite console, PS2!

Pro Evolution Soccer, Tony Hawks 3, GTA3 and James Bond: AUF rule!
Sun 02/12/01 at 09:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Reload wrote:
Silent Hill 2 - What?! Another survival horror game for PS2, I hear you say. Well...yes! It's a spine-chilling
adventure not to be played alone in the dark, and at the same time it's great.The graphics are one of the best I've seen for the PS2, yet and the game has had a huge make-over needed for a more fearful effect, which you'll soon experience after a couple of minutes play!

Playing it at night is the only time I play it. When the sun goes down the PS2 and TV go on.
Sun 02/12/01 at 01:11
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well i have to agree. What us gamers really want in our new games are new things. We dont want to be playing the same thing over and over in new games, this while boring, is also a waste of money, playing things that we already have. But quite a lot in this industry developers take the easy way out, they make a good game with all that you want, good game play, graphics and all the rest of it. Beacause of this the game sold many copies and was well recieved by the gamers, but this went to the developers head, and they end up releasing another game on the same line with very little that is new, thinking that it will same because the last one sold well. There are many examples of this, and the main ones that stick in my head are Tomb Raider and the Fifa series.

Tomb Raider 1 was great, and offered a whole new gaming experience. Great graphics for its time and a huge world to play through full of enemys and evil things waiting for you to die. It was great and started a whole new genre. The game sold well, and so it was inevitable that a second would come out, and it did. Again this was good, offered a new plot, weapons and even vehicles to drive. But then, they released another one, but nothing much new was added, the graphics were improved a little and a new plot was added, nothing much by any means. But because the first 2 were good, the fans bought it and it sold many. And, predictable as it is, 4 and 5 were released, both as boring as each other that gave us nothing much new. And why did we get these games, because Edios were making money, and lots of it.

This money theory is also what makes Fifa games aproached by many as the same as always. When the first games were released on PS1 they were great, and one of the best footie games out there to buy, and because of this they sold so many copies EA must have been rolling in it. As time went on the stats on the game became out of date, so EA knew it was time for a sequel, and that they did. A new game came out, new stats, teams, kits ect, more time was spent on making the stats better than anything. The graphics were a little improved and the player were made to look a little more realistic, however the gameplay was the same as always only with a new added feature. And this has been the trend for the rest of the games that follow, with every new game we get new stats and teams which are all very good, but what we really want is better game play, and that is not what EA gave us. Improved, slightly visuals and stats all rushed to make the release just in time for christmas so they could make there money from the fools who bought the new game, which in effect is the same one from 2 years ago.

Its sad to see that some developers think that money is way more important that the reputation of the company. But there are some companys out there who do, and they make there lots of money by making quality games.

The recent weeks on the PS2 prove this. There have been many top games that have been released, some new original ideas which is great, and some that are sequels that are good.

The new original ideas are what we want in gaming, new ideas means playing things that we may never have before and makes for a breath of fresh air to play something new. But the sequels have done well too, there are some great sequels just been released that show how much effort some of the better developers are prepared to put in. GTA 3 is just one example, this is a game that has had a complete revamp, while based on the same idea as the old ones there is so much in it that is completly new. The new 3D environment has helped this game evolve into something great. Huge amounts of effort has gone into this to make it like a new game, and it seems like one.

Another example is Tony Hawks 3. The game is based on all the others alike, but so much has been added, there are loads more moves and tricks to pull off and the levels themselves are much, much bigger with loads more for you to do. And as usual, like GTA 3, the graphics are amazing, but what makes it different from Tomb Raider and Fifa is that lots of time has been spent on the game, lots of time has been spent on both graphics and game play, and this shows which developers are in the industry for the good of the gamers.

And thats what gaming is about is it not, playing new things and new ideas, taking the gaming experience forward and making games more fun to play, and better to look at. If only more developers who seem to be in the industry just for the money watched people like Konami, Namco, Rockstar and more, who are in it to make money, and to make gamers happy, the world would have a great, better gaming industry than it does now.

Developers, give us what we want.
Sun 02/12/01 at 00:36
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Quite recently I've realised how many of you 'dedicatees' of gaming change your attitude towards games very frequently. What I mean is that games which aren't new or different in some way don't appeal much to us today, especially sequels.

PS2 is well known for its games, but there are plenty of games that have disappointed, mainly because it was just the same as its previous PSX predeccessor - and some were just simply rubbish, not mentioning any names *cough* Silpheed *cough*.

Tekken Tag is the fourth in the Tekken series that enhanced itself onto the PS2. Okay, at the first couple of plays we were delighted, but then you quickly realise that the only differences brought in are of the flashy graphics and surroundings, but no improvement in how the game plays.

Don't let me even start with Fifa because I'm sure you all know the score by now...

ISS was a good, but not to its full potential football game that made its way on the PS2. Once again, the main difference we saw were the graphics, but the gameplay didn't seem to be up to Konami's standards. Players seemed almost constipated at times and shots didn't have that needed realistic touch. It kept me wondering why it didn't play like the Evolution titles for the Playstation, then I soon found out that it was made by a different set of Konami developers from the Evolution creators.

I'll move swiftly on now to the recent PS2 sequel, WWF Smackdown!JBI. Many of you including me were not fully satisfied as this late reincarnation brought most of its elements from the PSX instalment all the way to the PS2, but for no special effect. In fact, most of us were pretty annoyed because the Story mode was too unrealistic and the wrestlers weren't near up to half of what PS2 can pull off. Smackdown!JBI is proof that we gamers want to see new features added to a game. When the first Smackdown hit our little, grey Playstation's we loved it! Now it's been continued by JBI most of us have hated it. This spells 'new demands' to me!

I think you all get the drift by now. We've seen so many sequels that offer nothing new in terms of gameplay, maybe the slight enhancement in graphics, but graphics isn't everything in a game!

Then again, look on the bright side. PS2 has or is about to receive greater sequels:

Gran Turismo 3 - GT developers just don't know when or where to stop with their great games. It seems like every one of their GT creations have offered something new, and GT3 offers better graphics, gameplay, cars, racing tracks etc. all in one!

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - The king of survival horror with the huge hint of strategy made its way to our PS2 in September and it didn't disappoint - thank goodness! We saw more zombies, weapons, POLYGONS PER SECOND and fantastic new cutscenes encouraging the storyline.

Pro Evolution Soccer - As the first ISS sequel for the PS2 aggrevated, Pro Evo revived its reputation. THE most realistic title for it's genre just hit our screens and have left us visiting our thumb therapists day on ends. You thought the other ISS titles were addictive, just wait to you play this one!

Silent Hill 2 - What?! Another survival horror game for PS2, I hear you say. Well...yes! It's a spine-chilling adventure not to be played alone in the dark, and at the same time it's great. The graphics are one of the best I've seen for the PS2, yet and the game has had a huge make-over needed for a more fearful effect, which you'll soon experience after a couple of minutes play!

Tony Hawks 3 - The skateboard champ is set to release another winner sometime soon. From the many previews and information I've seen Tony Hawks 3 definitely is one to get for a complete collection of great games for your PS2. No, you won't see the same thing as the previous PSX and Dreamcast titles because the gameplay and graphics have enhanced greatly.

James Bond: AUF - This was recently released two days ago in the UK and I must say that it wipes the floor with any other James Bond title, especially its Playstation predeccessors that hugely disappointed. AUF is full of swift FPS action and the controls are unexpectedly quite simple to use. It's about time that Playstation saw a decent Bond title anyway, not those shaken AND stirred ones!

Grand Theft Auto 3 - This is probably the best example of a sort of game we haven't seen in years, literally! For once we have the opportunity to do whatever crime-based activity we like in a game, and the freedom to go wherever we like in the huge Liberty City. Previous GTA titles have been in birds-eye-view, but this latest creation is in 3D, and still offers you to play in old GTA style for whatever reason you may have. The majority of PS2 owners already have their copy, but if you're one of those left out I suggest you get your hands on this...NOW!

Final Fantasy X & XI - Yes that's right, we're to see two new FF generation titles for our PS2. Remember FFVII, very addictive with lots and lots of dialogue and constant pop-up battles - well make sure you already know what to expect from these PS2 sequels or else you'll find yourself in a huge state of shock and amazement. The storyline has changed once again along with your hero's looks, but the most noticable change has to be the graphics. The movies and cutscenes look tremendous, seems like the Final Fantasy movie developers have got to work again because this game looks too real! This is FF with a fantastic difference!

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Last, but definitely not least is the mighty Hideo Kojima and Konami sequel Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. This is THE most anticipated game ever in the history of gaming and there's no surprise why! We've played demos, seen prolonged previews and WOW does this game look good, as well as play good. Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation was a hugely intense adventure with a great storyline that kept us on our little, grey boxes for ages - so just imagine the possibilities on the PS2! Lucky US and Japanese gamers are probably enduring on this legendary title already right as I'm typing now...so to make sure you get your hands on this I suggest you do the same thing as I have and pre-order your copy...NOW!

Already, Sony are promising more and more titles never before seen on a Playstation console like Virtua Fighter 4 and The Matrix for a next year release. As usual, the main aim of these games is to meet gamers demands and produce something new. A basic rule for games is that if it's the same, it's avoided, but if it's new and improved in an effective way, we go for it!

Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.