GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Best of the Bunch"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 19:56
Regular
I managed to sit down earlier this week and watch a vast ammount of Sci-Fi films, to see what came out on top. After 7 films worth of TV, 3 pizzas and endless ammounts of coke, I managed to pull away from my butt groove and come to my computer. Here is my top 5 Sci-Fi films...

5. Star Trek: First Contact

This, quite simply, is the best of the Star Trek films. It features The Next Gereration team battling with the Borg - a brilliantly devised and spine chilling race. As with most of the ST-TNG series, you need some background information to get the most out of it. Ardent fans will remember Picard being captured by the Borg but, even without this knowledge, it is an enjoyable film. It is very dark and quite a few people are assimilated or killed. The Borg Queen (Alice Krige), is an excellent addition and she is coldly menacing from her very first entrance. This film is a must for anybody who likes Start Trek.

4. Blade Runner

Blade Runner is based upon Phillip K. Dick's book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Directed by Ridley Scott, it features Harrison Ford (in one of his best roles) as Deckard, whose job is to find and terminate replicants, or skin jobs as the chief of police calls them. The replicants are Nexus 6 - the best of the best. It's an interesting film that portrays a bleak future for the planet. It turns out there were a lot of problems during its production and the final release was not the one intended by Scott. Instead it featured a voice over commentary because the studio didn't think the audience would understand it. They also cut some small, but important, scenes out and changed the ending. The ending puzzled everyone until they finally released the Director's Cut. There is a lot of discussion around this film concerning Deckard and whether he is a replicant as well. Ridley Scott finally answered this one a little while ago. To understand, you have to watch the Director's Cut.

3. Jurassic Park

I was unsure whether or not to class this as "Sci-Fi" or not, but I decided to throw the rule book out the window, so to speak. The story concerns Ingen, who have obtained dinosaur DNA by retrieving their blood from prehistoric blood-sucking insects. Once they have extracted the DNA, they are able to grow a new dinosaur. John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) has built a new theme park full of dinosaurs but the latest accident requires that he has a group of experts approve the site. Three experts are flown in, that include Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill), Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern), and Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum – playing the character with great flair). Of course, a storm hits the island and things start to go very wrong. A subplot involving the theme park’s computer programmer means that all of the park’s electric fences get switched off and the dinosaurs escape from their pen. This is a ground-breaking film that deserves all of the accolades it has won.

2. Alien

Alien is the first in the series of "Alien" films, starring Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) as the maiden whom saves the day from hordes of Aliens, who invade their space ship, when a ship in outer space receives a cry for help from a nearby planet. The crew of the ship that receives the message (Nostromo), who are awoken from hypersleep go down to the planet to investigate. While walking on the planet, a strange structure is discovered. A crew member investigates deep into this structure, and discovers many large, pulsating egg-type things on the ground. On examination, a strange creature jumps onto his face. The crew member is taken back to the Nostromo. On examination, the creature is found to have acid for blood, and after a short period of time, it releases its grip on the face, and things seem fine. Fine that is, until an alien creature breaks out of the man's chest (at dinner don't you know) and starts to kill the crew members. A solid film, lacking in technology and special effects, but still a classic.

1. Star Wars

It wasn't until I actually saw this film that I had any preference towards it. A week ago, I detested the Star Wars series, but here it is, at No. 1. On the desert planet of Tatooine, Luke Skywalker lives with his Aunt and Uncle, and is bored with his life. Tired of helping his uncle with the harvest, his ambition is to become a pilot, and to fight with the Rebellion against the evil Galactic Empire. Meanwhile, two droids escape from Princess Leia’s ship, one whom carries vital information concerning the weaknesses of the Empire’s new ultimate space-station, the "Death Star". After their escape pod crashes on Tatooine, and they are captured by Jawas, they fall into Luke’s uncle’s possession. Whilst, cleaning the droids, Luke uncovers a message from the Princess requesting help from a certain Obi-Wan-Kenobi, a name which seems derivative of his friend Ben Kenobi. The Empire send in some Imperial stormtroopers to recover the droids and the stolen plans, and are lead to Luke’s home. Luke rushes home when he finds out, but he’s too late. With all that remains of his family dead, he sets off with Ben, and the two droids to the planet Alderan, seeking to help deliver the Princess’s message and become a Jedi Knight like his father. They come across a pilot named Han Solo, and his wookie-friend Chewbacca in a Cateena in the spaceport Mos Eisley, and he agrees to fly them all to Alderan. When they reach Alderan, all that remains is a cluster of asteroids. Soon they find themselves running around on the Death Star, in an attempt to save Princess Leia and deactivate the tractor beam that brought them there.This is one of those films that everyone has to see. As a landmark in cinema it shines with the amount of effort put into its making, considering its reasonably low budget.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 01/12/01 at 19:56
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
I managed to sit down earlier this week and watch a vast ammount of Sci-Fi films, to see what came out on top. After 7 films worth of TV, 3 pizzas and endless ammounts of coke, I managed to pull away from my butt groove and come to my computer. Here is my top 5 Sci-Fi films...

5. Star Trek: First Contact

This, quite simply, is the best of the Star Trek films. It features The Next Gereration team battling with the Borg - a brilliantly devised and spine chilling race. As with most of the ST-TNG series, you need some background information to get the most out of it. Ardent fans will remember Picard being captured by the Borg but, even without this knowledge, it is an enjoyable film. It is very dark and quite a few people are assimilated or killed. The Borg Queen (Alice Krige), is an excellent addition and she is coldly menacing from her very first entrance. This film is a must for anybody who likes Start Trek.

4. Blade Runner

Blade Runner is based upon Phillip K. Dick's book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Directed by Ridley Scott, it features Harrison Ford (in one of his best roles) as Deckard, whose job is to find and terminate replicants, or skin jobs as the chief of police calls them. The replicants are Nexus 6 - the best of the best. It's an interesting film that portrays a bleak future for the planet. It turns out there were a lot of problems during its production and the final release was not the one intended by Scott. Instead it featured a voice over commentary because the studio didn't think the audience would understand it. They also cut some small, but important, scenes out and changed the ending. The ending puzzled everyone until they finally released the Director's Cut. There is a lot of discussion around this film concerning Deckard and whether he is a replicant as well. Ridley Scott finally answered this one a little while ago. To understand, you have to watch the Director's Cut.

3. Jurassic Park

I was unsure whether or not to class this as "Sci-Fi" or not, but I decided to throw the rule book out the window, so to speak. The story concerns Ingen, who have obtained dinosaur DNA by retrieving their blood from prehistoric blood-sucking insects. Once they have extracted the DNA, they are able to grow a new dinosaur. John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) has built a new theme park full of dinosaurs but the latest accident requires that he has a group of experts approve the site. Three experts are flown in, that include Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill), Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern), and Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum – playing the character with great flair). Of course, a storm hits the island and things start to go very wrong. A subplot involving the theme park’s computer programmer means that all of the park’s electric fences get switched off and the dinosaurs escape from their pen. This is a ground-breaking film that deserves all of the accolades it has won.

2. Alien

Alien is the first in the series of "Alien" films, starring Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) as the maiden whom saves the day from hordes of Aliens, who invade their space ship, when a ship in outer space receives a cry for help from a nearby planet. The crew of the ship that receives the message (Nostromo), who are awoken from hypersleep go down to the planet to investigate. While walking on the planet, a strange structure is discovered. A crew member investigates deep into this structure, and discovers many large, pulsating egg-type things on the ground. On examination, a strange creature jumps onto his face. The crew member is taken back to the Nostromo. On examination, the creature is found to have acid for blood, and after a short period of time, it releases its grip on the face, and things seem fine. Fine that is, until an alien creature breaks out of the man's chest (at dinner don't you know) and starts to kill the crew members. A solid film, lacking in technology and special effects, but still a classic.

1. Star Wars

It wasn't until I actually saw this film that I had any preference towards it. A week ago, I detested the Star Wars series, but here it is, at No. 1. On the desert planet of Tatooine, Luke Skywalker lives with his Aunt and Uncle, and is bored with his life. Tired of helping his uncle with the harvest, his ambition is to become a pilot, and to fight with the Rebellion against the evil Galactic Empire. Meanwhile, two droids escape from Princess Leia’s ship, one whom carries vital information concerning the weaknesses of the Empire’s new ultimate space-station, the "Death Star". After their escape pod crashes on Tatooine, and they are captured by Jawas, they fall into Luke’s uncle’s possession. Whilst, cleaning the droids, Luke uncovers a message from the Princess requesting help from a certain Obi-Wan-Kenobi, a name which seems derivative of his friend Ben Kenobi. The Empire send in some Imperial stormtroopers to recover the droids and the stolen plans, and are lead to Luke’s home. Luke rushes home when he finds out, but he’s too late. With all that remains of his family dead, he sets off with Ben, and the two droids to the planet Alderan, seeking to help deliver the Princess’s message and become a Jedi Knight like his father. They come across a pilot named Han Solo, and his wookie-friend Chewbacca in a Cateena in the spaceport Mos Eisley, and he agrees to fly them all to Alderan. When they reach Alderan, all that remains is a cluster of asteroids. Soon they find themselves running around on the Death Star, in an attempt to save Princess Leia and deactivate the tractor beam that brought them there.This is one of those films that everyone has to see. As a landmark in cinema it shines with the amount of effort put into its making, considering its reasonably low budget.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.