GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Distant Future"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/08/00 at 14:44
Regular
The other day I asked my father what he did for fun when he was younger. He told me about how he played the first computer game ever. The awful named game 'Pong' involved hitting a ball across the screen using two lines as rackets and ...um not much else. Appalling when you think of Mario Tennis nowadays. But then I realised that even Mario Tennis would look stupid compared with future games.I imagined myself as an aged lady with my grandchildren asking me 'Grandma, what did you do for fun when you were young?' I would tell them about such concepts as the Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast. They would laugh and say 'That's nothing compared to what we have now!'
I think we will go on from small television screens to perhaps video walls where there's gigantic action on screen. The controllers would be made extra-sensitive so that the slightest movement would be recorded. Perhaps we will do away with machines that are plugged into the television and just build entire televisions with games consoles already built into them. The games cartridges will be changed too. DVD is next and then...who knows?
Then there is the concept of Virtual Reality. Of course we know now that nothing can be changed overnight and Virtual Reality is something very far away. In the 1960s people believed that by the year 2000 everyone would have a flying car and entire meals would come in pill form! It would be an understatement to say that was slightly optimistic.
But I believe Virtual reality will happen. People will be able to put on helmets and explore computerized worlds for themselves instead of getting Mario or Link to do it for them. Or maybe they could create worlds of their own. They could visit planets made entirely out of marshmallow. And maybe they'd be able to programme how they'd look as well!
Anything is possible, but for now we stay with our present games consoles and just dream of enchanting possibilities.
Sat 26/08/00 at 17:50
well, yes.... but the future of gaming is to be slowing down, slow down. Technology in games has fallen far behind Hardware tech and is not moving as quickly as it did, hardware technology isn't moving quite so fast either. Anyway, i think that old games are still good, most people would agree with me (i hope) that Donkey Kong the original is still quite fun (go on, i know you'd rather play Perfect Dark or something but you would enjoy DK really wouldn't you?). So don't go expecting huge changes because your grandchildren will not be playing nearly as good things as you might expect!
Fri 25/08/00 at 20:22
Regular
Wrong string...
Fri 25/08/00 at 19:34
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Here's an idea for the most realistic football sim;

Go outside and play football.

Think it'll catch on?
Fri 25/08/00 at 17:21
Regular
Flying cars aren't that far away.... ;)
Just remember my name...
Fri 25/08/00 at 14:44
The other day I asked my father what he did for fun when he was younger. He told me about how he played the first computer game ever. The awful named game 'Pong' involved hitting a ball across the screen using two lines as rackets and ...um not much else. Appalling when you think of Mario Tennis nowadays. But then I realised that even Mario Tennis would look stupid compared with future games.I imagined myself as an aged lady with my grandchildren asking me 'Grandma, what did you do for fun when you were young?' I would tell them about such concepts as the Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast. They would laugh and say 'That's nothing compared to what we have now!'
I think we will go on from small television screens to perhaps video walls where there's gigantic action on screen. The controllers would be made extra-sensitive so that the slightest movement would be recorded. Perhaps we will do away with machines that are plugged into the television and just build entire televisions with games consoles already built into them. The games cartridges will be changed too. DVD is next and then...who knows?
Then there is the concept of Virtual Reality. Of course we know now that nothing can be changed overnight and Virtual Reality is something very far away. In the 1960s people believed that by the year 2000 everyone would have a flying car and entire meals would come in pill form! It would be an understatement to say that was slightly optimistic.
But I believe Virtual reality will happen. People will be able to put on helmets and explore computerized worlds for themselves instead of getting Mario or Link to do it for them. Or maybe they could create worlds of their own. They could visit planets made entirely out of marshmallow. And maybe they'd be able to programme how they'd look as well!
Anything is possible, but for now we stay with our present games consoles and just dream of enchanting possibilities.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.