GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"phantasy star offline"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/04/03 at 16:07
Regular
Is this game really not worth buying for offline play? I really need a co-op RPG
Wed 02/04/03 at 16:07
Regular
Is this game really not worth buying for offline play? I really need a co-op RPG
Wed 02/04/03 at 16:25
Regular
"DS..."
PSO as an offline game is worth buying for co-op play but bear in mind that it's split screen and so detail will be sacrificed as it'sbest played full screen on 1 player mode or indeed online but nevertheless as a co-op RPG it is a great game as long as your not expecting what some people deem as a full-length RPG as you basically play through the areas as you have 2 games in 1 as it's 2 episodes and you can play these areas over and over as you gain more exp and get rarer weapons the higher the difficulty untill you get to the hardest difficulty (ultimate) where it all changes and you have more monsters, differnt monsters, weapons, rarer items etc but it will take you a fair while for 2 players to get to ultimate mode on eopisode 1 alone and so you do get value for money out of it.

But generally it is better online and i can say this with confidence as ive been playing pso (both orginal versions) on the Dreamcast for over 2 years and it is a truly amazing gameplay experience once you get it online and get a keyboard (which i'm gonna get soon :) ) but with the offline mode you may not get all of the online content you go get a great game which is fun to play with at least 2 players offline but i would recommend that you get it online eventually if you do get it if you feel that it's worth the extra cost, and beleive me it is, hope this helps in your decision. :)

slik ~_~
Wed 02/04/03 at 16:30
Regular
It's not worth buying at all, in my opinion.

Think Gauntlet Legends with structure.
Wed 02/04/03 at 16:47
Regular
"DS..."
Whitestripes wrote:
> It's not worth buying at all, in my opinion.
>
>
> Think Gauntlet Legends with structure.

*shakes head*

Let me guess, youve prob never even played it, anyways, i have played it for over 2 years now and comparing it to the shoddy likeness of gauntlet legends or any of the gauntlet games is just not a viable option.

Phantasy Star Online is a game in a league of it's own and is one of those rare breeds of games that manages to create a new sub-genre as it is difficult to compare to other games due to it's online aspect and styilised structure.

It has an addictive quality which forgive me if i'm mistaken but gauntlet was barely playable after 5 mins if that even, Offline it may manage to hold your attention for a good few weeks as there is plenty to do but once you get it online it becomes an astonishing experience, meeting up with gamers from around the world, chatting in the visual lobbies for hours on end, levling up enjoyably, finding rare items, and playing it's many modes of play.

Not only is it one of the first really succssfull online RPGs but it is a co-operative RPG and this is where the most magical aspects of the gameplay are discovered and as you play it for longer you even form new freindships, play in regular teams and find numerous ways to play co-operatively in order to achieve your goals in the most original ways possible.

Also PSO sports not only co-operative but a competitive mode in it's Batttle mode where you can take on anyone online with up to 4 players at a time either on teams or a massive free-for-all, this mode also adds even more variety and diversity to the game.

Once youve been playing it for as long as me you also start to notice that the seemingly shallow gameplay of it actually is'nt so shallow as it has hidden depths to it which you can;t really explain and have to discover for yourself but if youve ever played it for a while you'll know what i'm talking about.

So basically either online or offline PSO is certainly an experience and for most this experience is positive and can last for weeks, months and even years if played online, but it is definatley a game that any gamer who deems themself to be a true gamer should experience at least once on their life instead of comparing it to other inferiour and incomparable games on the market and dissmising it, if your looking for something different in your collection then this is it, just try it, trust me, i'm a PSO veteran afterall. :)

slik ~_~
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:02
Regular
I think it's crap.

You can protest as much as you like, but as a seasoned RPG veteran I think it's abysmal.

It's success comes from it being the first real online console game, and all the little console gamers had never expirenced online play before. And it's continued success would be because it's the only online GC game.

It's an RPG diluted for little kiddies.

It's the Ribena Toothkind of the gaming world.
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:12
Regular
That should be, of the RPG world.
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
I'm tottaly agreeing with Silk (i hope its that), Trust me too, You'll enjoy it to your Heart's Content :)

:P

But offline? Ermm.. I haven't gone online with it yet and been playing ever since its came out with Offline... And i'm enjoying with 3 other of my mates, :D

Level 42... Still Counting... :)
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:25
Regular
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> I'm tottaly agreeing with Silk (i hope its that),

It's says Slik, quite clearly.

What are you, stupid?
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:27
Regular
I get Mixed up..

I Will Copy And paste next time...
Wed 02/04/03 at 17:28
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> It's the Ribena Toothkind of the gaming world.

Whats wrong with Ribena Toothkind?

You Insane?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.