GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Case Study on Piracy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 12:36
Regular
Following a post by The Game earlier, I decided to write this post. In fact, only yesterday I was investigating piracy myself...

Morpheus is a client that allows you to download pictures, video, audio, software, pictures - basically anything. Out of curiosity, I wondered if games could be downloaded and so in the search window, I typed "Championship Manager". It reaped a reasonable ammount of searches and I clicked on "Championship Manager 01/02". The file was only 32 MB, so I thought that this would be a decent enough case study for these forums.

When the file finished, I extracted it to C:// and then double clicked on the .EXE file. The game loaded, I picked my team and then it had to "initialise players" and so on (which took about 15 minutes, probably due to this snied version of the game). Then, I continued for a while and it just froze. I tried again and the same problem. I then deleted the file and I was once again guilt-free.

This proves my point - snied or dodgy software is not the answer!

Some may argue that they don't have money - then get a job! Ok, there are probably countless reasons why you should pirate games, but it's immoral and games companies will eventually go bust from it. Heck, if everyone pirated, we wouldn't have the games we have today.

Back to the point of Morpheus. I'm surprised that no legal action has been bought foward yet, as it is popular and has so much stuff on there that something has to be wrong (and is). If you listed any new game or film, I would be willing to bet that I could get it on Morpheus. To prove my point, I entered the top 10 games in the charts to see what ones came up.

PC Games Top 10
Championship Manager 20... £22.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Return To Castle Wolfen... £27.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Aliens Vs Predator 2 Rr... £25.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Commandos 2: Men Of Cou... £27.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Command & Conquer: Red ... £18.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Robot Wars: Arena Of De... £24.99 - NOT FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Civilization Iii (3) £27.99 - NOT FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Harry Potter And The Ph... £27.99 - NOT FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Max Payne Rr8/01 £23.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
The Sims Data Cd: Hot D... £19.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS

I put in "Swordfish" too and that can be downloaded as rip from a DVD or basically any other video format.

Bottom line - piracy is wrong!

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 01/12/01 at 12:36
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Following a post by The Game earlier, I decided to write this post. In fact, only yesterday I was investigating piracy myself...

Morpheus is a client that allows you to download pictures, video, audio, software, pictures - basically anything. Out of curiosity, I wondered if games could be downloaded and so in the search window, I typed "Championship Manager". It reaped a reasonable ammount of searches and I clicked on "Championship Manager 01/02". The file was only 32 MB, so I thought that this would be a decent enough case study for these forums.

When the file finished, I extracted it to C:// and then double clicked on the .EXE file. The game loaded, I picked my team and then it had to "initialise players" and so on (which took about 15 minutes, probably due to this snied version of the game). Then, I continued for a while and it just froze. I tried again and the same problem. I then deleted the file and I was once again guilt-free.

This proves my point - snied or dodgy software is not the answer!

Some may argue that they don't have money - then get a job! Ok, there are probably countless reasons why you should pirate games, but it's immoral and games companies will eventually go bust from it. Heck, if everyone pirated, we wouldn't have the games we have today.

Back to the point of Morpheus. I'm surprised that no legal action has been bought foward yet, as it is popular and has so much stuff on there that something has to be wrong (and is). If you listed any new game or film, I would be willing to bet that I could get it on Morpheus. To prove my point, I entered the top 10 games in the charts to see what ones came up.

PC Games Top 10
Championship Manager 20... £22.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Return To Castle Wolfen... £27.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Aliens Vs Predator 2 Rr... £25.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Commandos 2: Men Of Cou... £27.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Command & Conquer: Red ... £18.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Robot Wars: Arena Of De... £24.99 - NOT FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Civilization Iii (3) £27.99 - NOT FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Harry Potter And The Ph... £27.99 - NOT FOUND ON MORPHEUS
Max Payne Rr8/01 £23.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS
The Sims Data Cd: Hot D... £19.99 - FOUND ON MORPHEUS

I put in "Swordfish" too and that can be downloaded as rip from a DVD or basically any other video format.

Bottom line - piracy is wrong!

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.