GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Outlook or Thunderbird?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 31/10/10 at 03:40
Regular
I currently use Outlook 2007 but am thinking of switching to Thunderbird.

I'd be interested in your reviews/preferences.

Neil
Thu 11/11/10 at 10:46
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Unfortunately not. I just use the calender at work for things I can't put on post-it notes to be honest!

Other than that I put all personal notes on my iPhone calender.
Wed 10/11/10 at 16:06
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
ah yes and there was I trying to format my post all stylish, like!

I think I tried windows live and found it didn't sync with pc suite - hav eyou any ideas about that?
Wed 10/11/10 at 14:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I wish I used my calender enough to make it that required to be honest :) Have you tried WLM for your calander? The recent update more or less changes it to Outlook 2010 anyway, so you might have some joy.

And as a note you need to use [ - ] tags to use font styles.
Wed 10/11/10 at 13:17
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
Hi there - I've been through the whole trying to move away from outlook (currently using 2003) for some time.

Unfortunately one thing keeps me stuck to outlook - it is the only windows desktop calendar I know of that the nokia PC Suite can interface with to sync. So for that reason I use outlook as a calendar and address book only and actually it makes it pretty lightweight.

I am using Thunderbird as my email client - the move from outlook couldn't have been easier.

However, it's a bit of a faff keeping Tbird and outlook contacts in sync - I use gmail as a conduit. i.e. outlook <-> gmail <-> tbird
I use a tool called gSyncit: http://www.daveswebsite.com/ ($19.99) to do the sync between gmail and outlook, and gcontactsync: thunderbird add-on (free) to sync between thunderbird and gmail

in a perfect world I would be able to find one calendar/contacts/email client that could sync with my nokia phone...but sometimes you have to find workarounds!
Tue 02/11/10 at 13:46
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It also has calenders and reminders though, so I don't think I would benefit from the full version at all really. Hence why I didn't ask for it to be installed :)

Free = better in very rare cases, and it's almost that way with WLM.

Although in office I can tell you that:

OE (old sko0l) = 10%
WLM = 40%
T.Bird (is the word) = 20%
Outlook = 20%
Other (grrr Mac) = 10%
Tue 02/11/10 at 13:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi Warhunt.

WLM is fine - for a free email client.
A modern Outlook Express.

It's good that MS have included the JUNK mail function with WLM though - works well.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 02/11/10 at 13:24
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Do you not think WLM is ok Hmmm... ? I use it and despite a few graphical or layout quarks I think it is ratehr tasty.
Tue 02/11/10 at 13:17
"Are you sure?"
Looks like this thread has been moved from somewhere else?

I'm a big Outlook fan!
This is how I see things.

If you've bought Outlook then I would use it. I would be lost without the built in calendar/reminder function. Outlook has many useful features which I use daily.
Using the free Outlook Backup addon it also means that I can back EVERYTHING up in one file - simples.

If I hadn't bought Outlook then Thunderbird along with Sunbird/Lightning (for a Calendar function) is a good free alternative - but still a pale imitation...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 31/10/10 at 03:40
Regular
I currently use Outlook 2007 but am thinking of switching to Thunderbird.

I'd be interested in your reviews/preferences.

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.