GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guide to the PSP Universe!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/07/06 at 18:35
Regular
""none""
Guide to the PSP Universe!

Before you start you will need to know:

What does "Homebrew" mean?

Homebrew

You just bought a PSP, and a word called "Homebrew" keeps appearing. Well homebrew is an application for certain devices, but the applications are made by programmers. Examples of homebrew are, "The PSP Radio", "PSP Alarm", sometimes programmers make games and "Emulators" (we'll get around emulators later). Homebrew Apps are not made by real companies, just people who learn how to programme.

Emulator:

Is a console, lets say the SNES ported for devices, which occurs mostly on the PC. These are also ported for by programmers. But now programmers have found a way to port it on the PSP, hooray! Emulators are illegal, but you will never get caught unless you shove it up Sony's face.

Firmware?

The most important part of your PSP the "Firmware". Firmware is like upgrades, allowing different features for your PSP. Firmware has become hack able by all the developers. The first ever Firmware was released with the Japan PSP, 1.0. It was hacked, by no time. So the next batch of PSPs became available after the stock shortage, and were released in the US and Japan; with the 1.50 update. But this was also hacked. So every time Sony releases these updates they upgrade the security and try and make it harder to hack. They kept releasing these hacks up until now 2.71.

Sony has released a number of upgrades on there site database, but DO NOT UPGRADE!!!!
-------------------------------------------

The Firmware Guide!

1.0 Firmware

This firmware has only been released in Japan, were it the PSP was first released. All you need to do to install homebrew is download the available homebrew and there will be a 1.0 and a 1.5 click the 1.0 file, get the eboot; and transfer this file to PSP --> Game folder.

1.5 Firmware

You can easily run homebrew by transferring the 1.5 version of the homebrew and copying the two files, lets say "PSP1" and "PSP2%" (the percentage sign must be there on one of the files) and copy them to PSP --> Game Folder.

1.51 Firmware

The second update for Japanese PSP’s (first for the US) was the 1.51 update. Update changes: The new Firmware update fixes various security issues in the PSP's v1.0 firmware which effectively fills holes to stop unsigned code from being executed.

As stated above, this new firmware does not allow for unassigned code to be run on the PSP (same as 1.5 but with heightened security). At the current time homebrew code is unable to be ran on this firmware; read the section on 2.0.

1.52 Firmware

The third update for JP PSP’s (2nd for US) was the 1.52 update. Update changes include: UMD Music to be run from the main menu and higher security.
Once again, homebrew can not be run on this firmware version; read the section on 2.0

2.0 Firmware

This is Sony’s first major update to their Sony Playstation Portable. There have been numerous changes in this version and all are very significant.

Update: 2.0 PSP's can now run homebrew This is done by updating to the 2.0 firmware and then using Fajita’s eLoader or downgrading to 1.5 via the MPH downgrading method.

2.01 Firmware

This is Sony's response to the overflow exploit found in 2.0. Aside from this "security patch," nothing else was added to this firmware package. At this point in time you cannot downgrade on a 2.01 PSP!

Update: 2.01 PSP's can now run homebrew using Fanjita's eLoader by means of the GTA Savegame Exploit.

2.50 Firmware

This firmware version was released only a few days after the 2.01 firmware patch was released. This contains a new major addition (Location Free Technology) and other small changes.

2.50 Firmware

This firmware version was released only a few days after the 2.01 firmware patch was released. This contains a new major addition (Location Free Technology) and other small changes.

[UPDATE July 1 2006] At this point in time, you can downgrade on a 2.50 PSP!

Updated parts of the firmware include:

* [LocationFree* Player] has been added as a feature under [Network].
* [Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar.
* Settings for [Text Size] and [Display Mode] in [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
* The input history of online forms accessed through [Internet Browser] can now be saved.

* Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video].
o (This applies to video saved on Memory Stick Duo* media).
o For details, contact the video content provider.
o Note that fees may be charged to obtain or use copyright-protected video.
o Downloadable copyright-protected video may not be available in all countries
and regions.

* [Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date and Time] in [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings].
* [WPA-PSK (AES)] has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].

* Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard.

Update: 2.50 PSP's can now run homebrew using Fanjita's eLoader by means of the GTA Savegame Exploit.

2.60 Firmware

This firmware version was released on November 29th, 2005.

[UPDATE July 1 2006] At this point in time, you can downgrade on a 2.60 PSP!

* [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature under [Network].
* [Simplified Chinese (GB18030)] and [Tradition Chinese (Big5)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar. (Characters may be indistinct in some cases when these encoding options are selected.)
* [Volume Adjustment] has been added as a feature to [LocationFree Player]
* You can now download video data that supports copyright protection using the [Internet Browser].
* WMA has been added as a codec that can be played under [Music]. (This applies to music data saved on your Memory Stick.) Note: You must adjust a system setting to enable playback of WMA format music data. A connection to the internet is required to adjust the setting.

Update: 2.60 PSP's can now run homebrew using Fanjita's eLoader by means of the GTA Savegame Exploit.

2.70 Firmware

This firmware version was released on April 25th, 2006. At this point in time you cannot downgrade or play homebrew on a 2.70 PSP!

* [Internet Browser] now supports Macromedia Flash contents playback.
* You need to enable the Flash contents playback in the [System Settings].
* The version of the flash player is Macromedia Flash Player 6 (a part of the functions is not supported).
* The settings of the [Internet Browser] is added into [Settings] -> [Connection Settings]
* The audio contents from channels in the [RSS Channel] section now can be saved into your memory stick.
* [Auto] option added to [Rate Change] in [Location Free Player].
* [Music] Added file extension to playable AAC format.
* Added [Enable Flash Player] in [System Settings]. To change this option, you need to connect to the internet.
* "Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese" added to [System Settings] -> [System Language].
* Added [RSS Channel Settings].
* Added [UMD Video L & R Button] into [Video Settings].
* Fixed some issues when using a memory stick with more than 2GB free space. This problem has not happened among the memory sticks sold in Japan until April 24.

2.71 Firmware

This firmware version was released on June 01st, 2006. At this point in time you cannot downgrade or play homebrew on a 2.71 PSP!

* [Internet Browser] can now be used to download demo version of games to memory stick.
* [LocationFree Player] now displays correct image when selecting the external tuner.
o This affects users using LocationFree base station model LF-B1 (North America/Taiwan/Korea model) and LF-X11 (North America model). To know your hardware model number, just check you user manual.
o LocationFree base station models for Japan/Europe are not affected.
* The icon "Goto Network Service" has been added into the "Network" column.

Buying a Memory Stick

When you’re buying a Memory Stick you need to remember to stay the hell away from eBay! It’s no good, they sell there sticks for as low as £20-30 for a 2g, your thinking what’s wrong with that? Well there fake!!!! What’s wrong with fakes? Well they wear out in, and they have lower transfer speeds. I myself have been hit by fakes, but luckily; it’s been 6 months and it still hasn’t worn out. Fakes occur in Sony memory sticks.

Stuff I’m not going to go into:

How to Downgrade, way too long and there are already too many guides out there.

Putting media on your PSP, I will go in to this if requested. But once again there are a lot of guides on this.

USE GOOGLE, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

If there are more things that you really want to know, just tell me and I’ll make a guide in no time. Also, if there are any questions, I’ll answer them. So I hope you found this guide helpful!!!

PSP Updates

Also PSP Updates is a majour source of help, and some of my information came from there.
Sat 08/07/06 at 18:35
Regular
""none""
Guide to the PSP Universe!

Before you start you will need to know:

What does "Homebrew" mean?

Homebrew

You just bought a PSP, and a word called "Homebrew" keeps appearing. Well homebrew is an application for certain devices, but the applications are made by programmers. Examples of homebrew are, "The PSP Radio", "PSP Alarm", sometimes programmers make games and "Emulators" (we'll get around emulators later). Homebrew Apps are not made by real companies, just people who learn how to programme.

Emulator:

Is a console, lets say the SNES ported for devices, which occurs mostly on the PC. These are also ported for by programmers. But now programmers have found a way to port it on the PSP, hooray! Emulators are illegal, but you will never get caught unless you shove it up Sony's face.

Firmware?

The most important part of your PSP the "Firmware". Firmware is like upgrades, allowing different features for your PSP. Firmware has become hack able by all the developers. The first ever Firmware was released with the Japan PSP, 1.0. It was hacked, by no time. So the next batch of PSPs became available after the stock shortage, and were released in the US and Japan; with the 1.50 update. But this was also hacked. So every time Sony releases these updates they upgrade the security and try and make it harder to hack. They kept releasing these hacks up until now 2.71.

Sony has released a number of upgrades on there site database, but DO NOT UPGRADE!!!!
-------------------------------------------

The Firmware Guide!

1.0 Firmware

This firmware has only been released in Japan, were it the PSP was first released. All you need to do to install homebrew is download the available homebrew and there will be a 1.0 and a 1.5 click the 1.0 file, get the eboot; and transfer this file to PSP --> Game folder.

1.5 Firmware

You can easily run homebrew by transferring the 1.5 version of the homebrew and copying the two files, lets say "PSP1" and "PSP2%" (the percentage sign must be there on one of the files) and copy them to PSP --> Game Folder.

1.51 Firmware

The second update for Japanese PSP’s (first for the US) was the 1.51 update. Update changes: The new Firmware update fixes various security issues in the PSP's v1.0 firmware which effectively fills holes to stop unsigned code from being executed.

As stated above, this new firmware does not allow for unassigned code to be run on the PSP (same as 1.5 but with heightened security). At the current time homebrew code is unable to be ran on this firmware; read the section on 2.0.

1.52 Firmware

The third update for JP PSP’s (2nd for US) was the 1.52 update. Update changes include: UMD Music to be run from the main menu and higher security.
Once again, homebrew can not be run on this firmware version; read the section on 2.0

2.0 Firmware

This is Sony’s first major update to their Sony Playstation Portable. There have been numerous changes in this version and all are very significant.

Update: 2.0 PSP's can now run homebrew This is done by updating to the 2.0 firmware and then using Fajita’s eLoader or downgrading to 1.5 via the MPH downgrading method.

2.01 Firmware

This is Sony's response to the overflow exploit found in 2.0. Aside from this "security patch," nothing else was added to this firmware package. At this point in time you cannot downgrade on a 2.01 PSP!

Update: 2.01 PSP's can now run homebrew using Fanjita's eLoader by means of the GTA Savegame Exploit.

2.50 Firmware

2.50 Firmware

[UPDATE July 1 2006] At this point in time, you can downgrade on a 2.50 PSP!

* [LocationFree* Player] has been added as a feature under [Network].
* [Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar.
* Settings for [Text Size] and [Display Mode] in [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
* The input history of online forms accessed through [Internet Browser] can now be saved.

* Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video].
o (This applies to video saved on Memory Stick Duo* media).
o For details, contact the video content provider.
o Note that fees may be charged to obtain or use copyright-protected video.
o Downloadable copyright-protected video may not be available in all countries
and regions.

* [Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date and Time] in [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings].
* [WPA-PSK (AES)] has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].

* Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard.

Update: 2.50 PSP's can now run homebrew using Fanjita's eLoader by means of the GTA Savegame Exploit.

2.60 Firmware

This firmware version was released on November 29th, 2005.

[UPDATE July 1 2006] At this point in time, you can downgrade on a 2.60 PSP!

* [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature under [Network].
* [Simplified Chinese (GB18030)] and [Tradition Chinese (Big5)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar. (Characters may be indistinct in some cases when these encoding options are selected.)
* [Volume Adjustment] has been added as a feature to [LocationFree Player]
* You can now download video data that supports copyright protection using the [Internet Browser].
* WMA has been added as a codec that can be played under [Music]. (This applies to music data saved on your Memory Stick.) Note: You must adjust a system setting to enable playback of WMA format music data. A connection to the internet is required to adjust the setting.

Update: 2.60 PSP's can now run homebrew using Fanjita's eLoader by means of the GTA Savegame Exploit.

2.70 Firmware

This firmware version was released on April 25th, 2006. At this point in time you cannot downgrade or play homebrew on a 2.70 PSP!

* [Internet Browser] now supports Macromedia Flash contents playback.
* You need to enable the Flash contents playback in the [System Settings].
* The version of the flash player is Macromedia Flash Player 6 (a part of the functions is not supported).
* The settings of the [Internet Browser] is added into [Settings] -> [Connection Settings]
* The audio contents from channels in the [RSS Channel] section now can be saved into your memory stick.
* [Auto] option added to [Rate Change] in [Location Free Player].
* [Music] Added file extension to playable AAC format.
* Added [Enable Flash Player] in [System Settings]. To change this option, you need to connect to the internet.
* "Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese" added to [System Settings] -> [System Language].
* Added [RSS Channel Settings].
* Added [UMD Video L & R Button] into [Video Settings].
* Fixed some issues when using a memory stick with more than 2GB free space. This problem has not happened among the memory sticks sold in Japan until April 24.

2.71 Firmware

This firmware version was released on June 01st, 2006. At this point in time you cannot downgrade or play homebrew on a 2.71 PSP!

* [Internet Browser] can now be used to download demo version of games to memory stick.
* [LocationFree Player] now displays correct image when selecting the external tuner.
o This affects users using LocationFree base station model LF-B1 (North America/Taiwan/Korea model) and LF-X11 (North America model). To know your hardware model number, just check you user manual.
o LocationFree base station models for Japan/Europe are not affected.
* The icon "Goto Network Service" has been added into the "Network" column.

Buying a Memory Stick

When you’re buying a Memory Stick you need to remember to stay the hell away from eBay! It’s no good, they sell there sticks for as low as £20-30 for a 2g, your thinking what’s wrong with that? Well there fake!!!! What’s wrong with fakes? Well they wear out in, and they have lower transfer speeds. I myself have been hit by fakes, but luckily; it’s been 6 months and it still hasn’t worn out. Fakes occur in Sony memory sticks.

Stuff I’m not going to go into:

How to Downgrade, way too long and there are already too many guides out there.

Putting media on your PSP, I will go in to this if requested. But once again there are a lot of guides on this.

USE GOOGLE, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

If there are more things that you really want to know, just tell me and I’ll make a guide in no time. Also, if there are any questions, I’ll answer them. So I hope you found this guide helpful!!!

PSP Updates

Also PSP Updates is a majour source of help, and some of my information came from there.
Sat 08/07/06 at 20:35
Regular
"Mooching around"
Hmm... did you see pb's GAD win by any chance?
Sat 08/07/06 at 20:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Hehe the exact same thing ran through my mind :-D
Sat 08/07/06 at 20:52
Regular
"Mooching around"
Detective Kawada at it again :-P
Sat 08/07/06 at 23:09
Regular
""none""
Owwww... sh*t.... Erm, I think my ones a bit better; don't you think?
Sat 08/07/06 at 23:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
If you want to win GAD how about coming up with something original and interesting to say rather than copying someone elses GAD win...?
Sun 09/07/06 at 00:09
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
> Owwww... sh*t.... Erm, I think my ones a bit better; don't you
> think?

Sorry, but PB's is far more informative, it tells you something practical. You defined a few terms and then launched into a firmware summary which can be found elsewhere on the net word for word (how about some credit if its not your work?).
Sun 09/07/06 at 00:35
Regular
"Mooching around"
I wouldn't blame him too much, maybe he actually didn't see the original PSP thread? Lol!

Many of us hope to win GAD, I hoped my PS3 thread might have been considered, but to no avail. Still, can't stand by winging, things to be thought, posts to be made :-D
Sun 09/07/06 at 02:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I find it far too much of a coincidence that pb won for a long fact-based PSP post, then the same day someone else posts a long fact-based PSP post in exactly the same vein as the GAD winner... It seems obvious he was angling for a GAD, I don't have anything against blatant GAD attempts at all, but at least put some effort into thinking of a topic for yourself and if you can't at least try to cover something worthwhile. You basically said in your post "you can get emulators and some other homebrew stuff, don't upgrade your PSP, downgrade it instead!!!" but it somehow took pages and pages to say that...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.