GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Modern Combat 2 [iPhone/iPod Touch]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus'.
Wed 20/10/10 at 09:10
"possibly impossible"
Life is full of little disappointments, not being able to get the train home because you missed it, not getting that lottery ticket with the numbers that came up last Saturday and not being able to play Modern Warfare 2 without a console in front of you.

But wait! What’s this? Those crazy Gameloft people have only gone and made a Modern Warfare clone for the iPhone. Surely it can’t be that good on such a small handheld platform? Well, prepare to be amazed.

Modern Life
Modern Combat 2 is, as you may have guessed, the sequel to last year’s Modern Warfare-alike iPhone game that saw you fighting hordes of enemy soldiers and taking on diverse missions on foot and in vehicles. In the new game the action takes place in both the Middle East and South American Jungles, creating some diverse and interesting landscapes and really separating out the levels.

Anyone familiar with Modern Warfare games will immediately feel at home here. Missions range from the standard point A to point B sprints, killing enemy soldiers along the way, to sniper missions where you need to protect vehicles from heavy fire while racing along roof tops to get ahead of your convoy. There are even missions set inside tanks and on Choppers, though these are all limited to lining up the enemy in your sights rather than doing any driving.

Modern Man
Enemy AI is something that has been vastly improved from the last game. The soldiers now duck when you are firing and cautiously return fire to avoid being hit. They will find cover themselves and get on to roof tops to get better vantage points. That said, you still get the feeling everything is scripted and playing through a level several times you know for sure exactly where each soldier will first appear. This is one of the few areas where the limitations of the device are obvious, where Modern Warfare has AI that will appear differently each time you play, Modern Combat 2 doesn’t have this luxury.

Still, you get a vast choice of weapons at your disposal, being able to pick up the guns and ammo from fallen enemies and choose which suits you best. Guns feel very different too, from those that fire a bunch of rounds in one go to sniper rifles and slow loading but powerful shotguns. Some missions have anti-tank missiles, powerful enough to blow a large hole in the side of a building (though only if the game allows it) and grenades are another option to flush out those enemies hiding behind objects.

Modern Art
Graphically, Modern Combat 2 is one of the best looking iPhone games to date. Seeing it running on an iPhone 4 (which I still need to get hold of, especially after playing this and going back to a 3GS) is amazing, the retina display really makes a big difference to the look of the game. Even on 3GS though the game is pretty impressive, it really does feel like you have a Modern Warfare game in your hand. I’d go as far as saying this beats pretty much any PSP game I’ve played.

Alongside the graphics, the sound adds to the feel of the game by capturing some good voice acting, both in cut scenes and during the game while your team are shouting out the odds or you’re being given orders. Vehicles and explosions sound meaty and realistic enough to make you wince if they’re too near. If you’re playing with earphones then be warned: you’ll probably want to turn the sound down a bit, especially during heavy combat situations.

Levels are nicely laid out though they do sometimes suffer from the usual Gameloft issue of being predictable and a bit play by numbers, especially in the street levels. When you get to the rooftop sections and the jungle, however, things do get better and open out a bit more. This is really the only concern I have about the game and it’s not a dealbreaker by any means.

Modern Control
Gameloft have been tweaking the virtual controls in every game they’ve made, gradually getting them to a standard where they feel very responsive. The controls on offer here are far removed from the clunky D-pad of the first game and the buttons are laid out sensibly with quick access to weapon selection via a quick swipe on the gun icon in the corner and a useful sights function for weapons that use it.

While a Virtual Pad is still not going to be as good as a real one, this is the best implementation of shooter controls yet and even before the first tutorial style level is over I found myself warming to them.

Modern Connections
Modern Warfare is all about online play and Modern Combat 2 doesn’t let up here either. There are options for local play and online multiplayer. Sadly, it doesn’t use Game Centre yet (Apple’s equivalent of Xbox Live Matchmaking and Achievements) but the front end is easy to use and there are a wealth of options from a capture the flag mode to deathmatch and group play. The online games I’ve played have been smooth and without lag, only the voice communication was missing, making it a bit of a lonely affair without being able to talk to those I was playing against.

Modern Combat
Modern Combat 2 is the game iPhone owners who are fans of Modern Warfare 2 have been hoping for. It stretches the iPhone 3GS to new limits without causing any issues but also shows just what the new iPhone 4 is capable of and even running smoothly on 2G devices.

With a wealth of multiplayer options and an explosive single player campaign across vastly different terrains, taking in tank battles and rooftop sections alongside the more standard street level fire fights, this game is something every shooter fan has to experience.

9/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 20/10/10 at 09:10
"possibly impossible"
Life is full of little disappointments, not being able to get the train home because you missed it, not getting that lottery ticket with the numbers that came up last Saturday and not being able to play Modern Warfare 2 without a console in front of you.

But wait! What’s this? Those crazy Gameloft people have only gone and made a Modern Warfare clone for the iPhone. Surely it can’t be that good on such a small handheld platform? Well, prepare to be amazed.

Modern Life
Modern Combat 2 is, as you may have guessed, the sequel to last year’s Modern Warfare-alike iPhone game that saw you fighting hordes of enemy soldiers and taking on diverse missions on foot and in vehicles. In the new game the action takes place in both the Middle East and South American Jungles, creating some diverse and interesting landscapes and really separating out the levels.

Anyone familiar with Modern Warfare games will immediately feel at home here. Missions range from the standard point A to point B sprints, killing enemy soldiers along the way, to sniper missions where you need to protect vehicles from heavy fire while racing along roof tops to get ahead of your convoy. There are even missions set inside tanks and on Choppers, though these are all limited to lining up the enemy in your sights rather than doing any driving.

Modern Man
Enemy AI is something that has been vastly improved from the last game. The soldiers now duck when you are firing and cautiously return fire to avoid being hit. They will find cover themselves and get on to roof tops to get better vantage points. That said, you still get the feeling everything is scripted and playing through a level several times you know for sure exactly where each soldier will first appear. This is one of the few areas where the limitations of the device are obvious, where Modern Warfare has AI that will appear differently each time you play, Modern Combat 2 doesn’t have this luxury.

Still, you get a vast choice of weapons at your disposal, being able to pick up the guns and ammo from fallen enemies and choose which suits you best. Guns feel very different too, from those that fire a bunch of rounds in one go to sniper rifles and slow loading but powerful shotguns. Some missions have anti-tank missiles, powerful enough to blow a large hole in the side of a building (though only if the game allows it) and grenades are another option to flush out those enemies hiding behind objects.

Modern Art
Graphically, Modern Combat 2 is one of the best looking iPhone games to date. Seeing it running on an iPhone 4 (which I still need to get hold of, especially after playing this and going back to a 3GS) is amazing, the retina display really makes a big difference to the look of the game. Even on 3GS though the game is pretty impressive, it really does feel like you have a Modern Warfare game in your hand. I’d go as far as saying this beats pretty much any PSP game I’ve played.

Alongside the graphics, the sound adds to the feel of the game by capturing some good voice acting, both in cut scenes and during the game while your team are shouting out the odds or you’re being given orders. Vehicles and explosions sound meaty and realistic enough to make you wince if they’re too near. If you’re playing with earphones then be warned: you’ll probably want to turn the sound down a bit, especially during heavy combat situations.

Levels are nicely laid out though they do sometimes suffer from the usual Gameloft issue of being predictable and a bit play by numbers, especially in the street levels. When you get to the rooftop sections and the jungle, however, things do get better and open out a bit more. This is really the only concern I have about the game and it’s not a dealbreaker by any means.

Modern Control
Gameloft have been tweaking the virtual controls in every game they’ve made, gradually getting them to a standard where they feel very responsive. The controls on offer here are far removed from the clunky D-pad of the first game and the buttons are laid out sensibly with quick access to weapon selection via a quick swipe on the gun icon in the corner and a useful sights function for weapons that use it.

While a Virtual Pad is still not going to be as good as a real one, this is the best implementation of shooter controls yet and even before the first tutorial style level is over I found myself warming to them.

Modern Connections
Modern Warfare is all about online play and Modern Combat 2 doesn’t let up here either. There are options for local play and online multiplayer. Sadly, it doesn’t use Game Centre yet (Apple’s equivalent of Xbox Live Matchmaking and Achievements) but the front end is easy to use and there are a wealth of options from a capture the flag mode to deathmatch and group play. The online games I’ve played have been smooth and without lag, only the voice communication was missing, making it a bit of a lonely affair without being able to talk to those I was playing against.

Modern Combat
Modern Combat 2 is the game iPhone owners who are fans of Modern Warfare 2 have been hoping for. It stretches the iPhone 3GS to new limits without causing any issues but also shows just what the new iPhone 4 is capable of and even running smoothly on 2G devices.

With a wealth of multiplayer options and an explosive single player campaign across vastly different terrains, taking in tank battles and rooftop sections alongside the more standard street level fire fights, this game is something every shooter fan has to experience.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.