GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I don't think the GameCube will be 'massive' on-line"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/11/01 at 21:37
Regular
I honestly don't think that the GameCube will be massively popular for on-line gaming, currently looking a the expected range of on-line compatible titles. The only games are the likes of Phantasy Star On-line, a Dreamcast original, where as games like Mario Kart, Simpson's Road Rage and Crazy Taxi could make it as MASSIVE on-line favourites. But after reading several pre-views of these games and other GC titles, it does not look as if we'll be in luck, at this point in time. But there's always hope for the future!! After all, it is a 'next-generation' console!
Sat 01/12/01 at 13:16
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The GC will probably not be big online. I admit that games like Perfect Dark and Turok could be great online and Phantasay Star Online is all kitted out for the online feature but I just don't think Ninty can go online. Mario Kart would be a great prospect for online gaming as well as the previous suggested shoot-em-ups.

Sony and Microsoft may have informed the worlld that they tend to go online but Nintendo are reluctant for some reason. Sony and Microsoft are diving inot an enviorment of gaming that may cause them to use up huge net bills and fans may not want to pay for that and just use their PCs instead. That may be the reason Ninty are reluctant to go into the online gaming feature. They may also be waiting for the outcome of Sony's online games. If it does well then they may adopt it.

Well we'll see soon anyway.
Sat 01/12/01 at 12:08
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Heh, Ace greg, I took a risk in the copularity pontest, as I couldn't remember that much about you, but I figured I should be nice!

This post proved me right (although I did like your 'alternative' spelling of very :D).

Oh, and on this net thing, yes, as long as you have to pay Nintendo, Sony or who ever to connect to their ISP, and not just be able to connect using your existing one, I think it will only be those people who can really afford it (or the spoiled kids... grumble, grumble) who are gonna get consoles online. If they let you connect using any ISP, then I reckon it'll work fine.

But Phantasy Star Online uses Seganet doesn't it? Does that mean you'll be able to connect usong your existing ISP like on the DC?

Oh, and yeah, multiplayer is better if you can see the opponent, but if you are much better than all your mates you may want a challenge, or if it's late and none of your mates are gonna come over, you can play on the net.
Sat 01/12/01 at 11:31
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
The question isnt if online gaming is massive to be, its when its going to be massive. It may not be this generation of consoles or the next, but sooner or later it will take off.

The problem at the moment is that people are unsure about it because they have heard about the bad things that have happened like the games servers crashing. Then they arent willing to pay for the phone bills in this country. The Govement is trying to get more people online, by even giving computers away because we are a bit behind the other countries on the uptake of it. The reason for this is because we dont get servicces like America where they get free Internet access. I doubt vvery much in this country that, that will ever happen. But if we were able to conect our consoles through our exsisting ISP's so the cost arent so high.

Then another problem is devolopers are still learning how they can use this new resource, and how they can implement it in their games successfuly. But not many of them are willing to look into this vvery detailed because not many people are willing to buy/play the games online becauses of the reasons above.

So the real question at the moment is who is going to make the first move to let online gaming take off, is it going to be the game buyers, the govement, the phone companies or the devolopers?
Fri 30/11/01 at 23:54
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
In my honest opinion I don't see any of the new generation of consoles being 'massive' on-line!

Well not unless they all do what Sega Europe has surposedly just done. And that's to let you hook up to the internet using your own ISP! That way if you have a free internet connection then you can play your games online for free!

As long as you have to pay HUGE phone bills for using the internet, I don't see internet gaming on consoles taking off!

:)
Fri 30/11/01 at 23:23
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
The Dreamcast really did fail on bring consoles online. On of the main costs was that if you had a PC on the net and a dreamcast on the net there became less point and if like me you're on a Surftime scheme (like the Americans, no call charges) you would start having to pay call charges to Ninty or whoever and also the charge for Surftime. These should be merged with Ninty allowing other ISPs to get on the Gamecube.

But think of Perfect Dark online.
Fri 30/11/01 at 22:32
Regular
If it'll be expensive, i don't think it'd really be that good for multiplayer online, in my opinion it's better when you can see your opponents. For PSO though, i'm looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if i'll be able to connect through my uni computer network?
Fri 30/11/01 at 21:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I honestly don't think that the GameCube will be massively popular for on-line gaming, currently looking a the expected range of on-line compatible titles. The only games are the likes of Phantasy Star On-line, a Dreamcast original, where as games like Mario Kart, Simpson's Road Rage and Crazy Taxi could make it as MASSIVE on-line favourites. But after reading several pre-views of these games and other GC titles, it does not look as if we'll be in luck, at this point in time. But there's always hope for the future!! After all, it is a 'next-generation' console!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.