GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FTP Freedom"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/10/10 at 10:34
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Here's an idea for a staffie to shoot down....

How about the idea of charging an ad-hoc webspace connection fee instead of (or as well as) the fixed Web Freedom charge of whatever it is per month (circa GBP4.00).

I have an occasional need to ftp to my site when I'm not at home. I'd quite happily pay a one-off charge for doing so but it's not worth me signing up for the full Web Freedom package as I'd not get my money's worth out of it month in month out.

In the same way as an overcharge is detected for data usage, a connection AND ftp transfer usage could be detected which triggers a charge for that month.

This way, the regular Web Freedom user would probably continue to use the full subscription service but Freeola would also rake in the ad-hoc users who's cash would normally stay firmly in their pocket because it's too much hassle to sign up to Web-Freedom and then cancel it again (if indeed they are entiled to).

Ta Da! Everybody's happy. Probably.

I have put my tin hat on and await the first salvo.

JTD
Mon 11/10/10 at 15:12
"Are you sure?"
JimTheDog wrote:
Excellent - do I win a prize? ...[/i]

Seems fair enough that you should get something for your trouble if this is adopted! :¬)

There don't seem to be too many customers that contribute, so it would be good to see you rewarded.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 11/10/10 at 13:22
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Eccles wrote:
This is a good suggestion, thanks!

Excellent - do I win a prize? (suggestion: lifetime supply of Web Freedom) - just kidding.

Tin hat tentatively removed....but still keeping head down.

JTD
Mon 11/10/10 at 13:12
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
This is a good suggestion, thanks!
There are some issues that will need to be looked into over the next few weeks but we'll see if anything can be done along these lines.
Mon 11/10/10 at 12:08
"Are you sure?"
Hi JTD,

Yes, you're right, 'Web Freedom' and 'VIP' accounts don't benefit from the additional layer of security (i.e. using a Freeola connection).

That's how things are meant to be - I'm just changing a negative into a positive! :¬)

'Web Freedom' is a standard charge per month if you use it or not.

When I mentioned 'hacking' I was getting confused with the analogy of paying extra for ADSL overuse. You're right - a one off charge doesn't carry this risk.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 11/10/10 at 11:20
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:

I appreciate you are writing to Freeola, so hope you don't mind my comments :¬)

No probs - happy to open a discussion for all.

Having to be on a Freeola connection to FTP to sites on 'standard' hosting means there is an additional level of security that I quite like.

Also (and more importantly), say if I were to 'hack' JTD's FTP account(!) this would mean that I could rack up quite a bill for him - if I was that sort or person ;¬)

.. but isn't that a risk for Web Freedom customers anyway? As soon as a single ftp connection and 'some' data transfer is made there is a Web-Freedom charge flagged for THAT MONTH only (caps for emphasis - I'm not shouting) . If someone felt the need to hack into my webspace, the £4 it would cost me would be the least of my worries.

So if this were done the FTP security may have to be looked at - perhaps allowing control via MyFreeola as well as the normal FTP credentials?

More work to go on the bottom the priority four things to do list.

JTD
Mon 11/10/10 at 10:48
"Are you sure?"
I appreciate you are writing to Freeola, so hope you don't mind my comments :¬)

Having to be on a Freeola connection to FTP to sites on 'standard' hosting means there is an additional level of security that I quite like.

Also (and more importantly), say if I were to 'hack' JTD's FTP account(!) this would mean that I could rack up quite a bill for him - if I was that sort or person ;¬)

So if this were done the FTP security may have to be looked at - perhaps allowing control via MyFreeola as well as the normal FTP credentials?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 11/10/10 at 10:34
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Here's an idea for a staffie to shoot down....

How about the idea of charging an ad-hoc webspace connection fee instead of (or as well as) the fixed Web Freedom charge of whatever it is per month (circa GBP4.00).

I have an occasional need to ftp to my site when I'm not at home. I'd quite happily pay a one-off charge for doing so but it's not worth me signing up for the full Web Freedom package as I'd not get my money's worth out of it month in month out.

In the same way as an overcharge is detected for data usage, a connection AND ftp transfer usage could be detected which triggers a charge for that month.

This way, the regular Web Freedom user would probably continue to use the full subscription service but Freeola would also rake in the ad-hoc users who's cash would normally stay firmly in their pocket because it's too much hassle to sign up to Web-Freedom and then cancel it again (if indeed they are entiled to).

Ta Da! Everybody's happy. Probably.

I have put my tin hat on and await the first salvo.

JTD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.