GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Geeks are no longer freaks!?!?!?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/11/01 at 18:42
Regular
This is an artical I found in the magazine New Scientist.

"FAR from being friendless nerds, Internet users lead more sociable lives than non-surfers. A survey of 2500 randomly selected Britons revealed that people who go online tend to be better paid and better educated than those who don't. They are also more likely to go be regular churchgoers and to belong to a community group or voluntary organisation. There is a huge divide bebtween those who surf and those who don't, says Andrew Oswald at Warwick University, who carried out the study. Contray to popular opinion, surfers dont spend their days slouched over a computer, he says. They simply watch less television."

I would agree with this artical, because since being connected to the internet my live has become more sociable. This is because I have made many new friends in places such as chat rooms and MSN, then there is this place (heaven on the internet). I now have friends in different countries, and have/am meeting some of them (great when you go on holiday because you have a free place to stay and personal tour guide).

Also I do watch alot less television, partly because these days there is sooo much crap on it, I can find more intresting things to do on the Internet. Weather it being interacting with other Internet users, surfing intresting sites or playing games. Surfing the Internet has also helped teach me things, so I am better educated now than I was in certain areas :). If it wasnt for useful websites, I wouldnt of built my own computer, and continued making/repairing them for other people (thus better paid).

What do you think? Are you friendless, I never was before I started on the Internet now I just have more. Do you watch less talevision? Are you more sociable? Post your coments here.
Fri 30/11/01 at 18:42
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
This is an artical I found in the magazine New Scientist.

"FAR from being friendless nerds, Internet users lead more sociable lives than non-surfers. A survey of 2500 randomly selected Britons revealed that people who go online tend to be better paid and better educated than those who don't. They are also more likely to go be regular churchgoers and to belong to a community group or voluntary organisation. There is a huge divide bebtween those who surf and those who don't, says Andrew Oswald at Warwick University, who carried out the study. Contray to popular opinion, surfers dont spend their days slouched over a computer, he says. They simply watch less television."

I would agree with this artical, because since being connected to the internet my live has become more sociable. This is because I have made many new friends in places such as chat rooms and MSN, then there is this place (heaven on the internet). I now have friends in different countries, and have/am meeting some of them (great when you go on holiday because you have a free place to stay and personal tour guide).

Also I do watch alot less television, partly because these days there is sooo much crap on it, I can find more intresting things to do on the Internet. Weather it being interacting with other Internet users, surfing intresting sites or playing games. Surfing the Internet has also helped teach me things, so I am better educated now than I was in certain areas :). If it wasnt for useful websites, I wouldnt of built my own computer, and continued making/repairing them for other people (thus better paid).

What do you think? Are you friendless, I never was before I started on the Internet now I just have more. Do you watch less talevision? Are you more sociable? Post your coments here.
Sat 01/12/01 at 20:37
Regular
"I like cheese"
I have made around 100 new friends over the last 606 days, which is ever since I joined this website.

Surely this means I'm more sociable??
Sat 01/12/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I wouldn't define internet users as geeks, I thought that term was reserved for members of science clubs, physics students, chess players or a combination of all 3.
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:17
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
The word Geek means a studip or ineffectual person.

Alot of people think that people who use the internet are computers are ineffectual because they always sit at their computers! But the reason I used the word geek was because it got you to read it and that was what the artical was called.
Sat 08/12/01 at 13:50
Regular
Ant wrote:
> I have made around 100 new friends over the last 606 days, which is ever since I
> joined this website.

Surely this means I'm more sociable??

that depends if you class them as real friends or not
Sat 08/12/01 at 14:43
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
I am labelled a Geek at school, because of my appearence. I wear glasses, am short and not exactly an oil painting. Here is the definition of Geek:

geek (gk)
n. Slang

A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

A freak is:

freak2 (frk)
n.
A fleck or streak of color.

tr.v. freaked, freak·ing, freaks
To speckle or streak with color: “the white Pink, and the Pansy freaked with jet” (John Milton).
Sat 08/12/01 at 15:58
Regular
"es argh"
To be known as 'cool' at my school, you have to do one of two things:-
1)Smoke
2)Twag (and when you do go, don't do any work)

But in the future all the supposed 'geeks and freaks' will be driving around in Ferrari's whilst the 'cool' kids are begging on the street.
Sat 08/12/01 at 16:33
Regular
"surfers dont spend their days slouched over a computer, he says. They simply watch less television."

Yup. Problem is, nobody wants to listen, because their own views on the subject are far better than some bloke with a degree's.
Sat 08/12/01 at 18:01
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> "surfers dont spend their days slouched over a computer, he says. They
> simply watch less television."

Yup. Problem is, nobody wants to listen,
> because their own views on the subject are far better than some bloke with a
> degree's.

Very well put Grix. At my school, it appears the dumber you are, the more popular you are, which apparently makes me on the Z list for popularity. If people call me a "boff" or a "boffin" or whatever the tripe is, I simple reply with "Well, at least I'm basically guaranteed a decent job". I thought I was the only person in the world with this logic, but someone else in my class, who is popular and quite smart (yes, a contradiction of the classing system!), agrees with me. I said "Well, at least I'm basically guaranteed a decent job" to one of my friends and he replied with "Well, what if they become a footballer or something?". The chances of someone in my class - no, my school becoming a professional footballer and getting Micheal Owen-esque wages are slim at best. So, I say screw school, screw the people that can't be bothered to work, screw popular people, screw bullies and screw anyone that doesn't like me.

Firebalt.
Mon 10/12/01 at 20:13
"possibly impossible"
hah, boffin, I haven't heard that word since the 80's!

hm, labels are great aren't they. are Star Trek fan geeks because of their fanatical study of the series then? Most of them seem to get labelled as such. Labels are just the less adept public's way of dealing with a subject they know less about and therefore feel less comfortable discussing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.