GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Our Kids"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/04/03 at 18:53
Regular
Been thinking

Gaming's always been something related with kids - that it's what kids do.
And their parents don't really want them too, but they buy them games anyway. Although they'd rather they went outside and played with a tyre or smashed some windows or mugged a granny or something.

The mums and dads sigh to themselves. They don’t like games, they think them stupid and pointless. Just for kids.

But what of OUR kids?
We're all gamers, so, naturally, our kids are going to be brought up in a house where someone's always playing games. (That's you by the by). They’ll know about games right from very early days, about what’s good and bad, what’s nasty or nice. It could even develop hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes very quickly in early childhood.

Imagine it, with a big grin on your face.

No more of those brattish little mongs in GAME going “Daddy, daddy, buy me this! Now!”
“But, son, it says “18” on the box.”
“Shut up. Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it.”
“OK then, you know best.”

Instead, it’ll be “Daddy, is this any good? It’s Harry Potter XVII!”
“No, son. This is what we call a merchandised piece of crap. Let’s look for something else, okay?”
“Sure thing, dad. You’re the greatest.”
“I know”

Good, huh?

In the future, they’ll be no more clueless parents, who’ll buy anything just to keep little Jimmy quiet.
We’ll make sure our kids play good games, and maybe put a stop to all the crap floating around. Because the clueless little kiddies won’t be so clueless anymore.

I know this’ll be a real-life situation, because I’m going to be (hopefully) a Games Designer. Meaning games will be an even bigger part of my life.
And my kids’ll know what’s what.
It’ll be fun.

On the flip-side, however, your kids’ll serve as a constant reminder of your growing age.
When they start beating you now and then.
Then when they just kick your bootang at every turn.
Then when they know more than you.
Then when they don’t wanna play your stupid old-fashioned games no more.

That’s the sad bit, you’ll know exactly when you’re just too old to play games.
And those little gimps’ll rub your face in it at every opportunity.

We’ve all tried to get our dads playing games, I’m sure. Some fail (me), some succeed.
But in the future it’ll be the dads (or mums) trying to get their kids to play games.

Either that, or games’ll just go out of fashion and we’ll be stuck in the past, all alone with our memories, setting up the old consoles in our bedrooms, weeping uncontrollably, thinking of the good old days whilst our hair falls out.

*Sob*
FFF
Thu 03/04/03 at 18:53
"period drama"
Been thinking

Gaming's always been something related with kids - that it's what kids do.
And their parents don't really want them too, but they buy them games anyway. Although they'd rather they went outside and played with a tyre or smashed some windows or mugged a granny or something.

The mums and dads sigh to themselves. They don’t like games, they think them stupid and pointless. Just for kids.

But what of OUR kids?
We're all gamers, so, naturally, our kids are going to be brought up in a house where someone's always playing games. (That's you by the by). They’ll know about games right from very early days, about what’s good and bad, what’s nasty or nice. It could even develop hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes very quickly in early childhood.

Imagine it, with a big grin on your face.

No more of those brattish little mongs in GAME going “Daddy, daddy, buy me this! Now!”
“But, son, it says “18” on the box.”
“Shut up. Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it.”
“OK then, you know best.”

Instead, it’ll be “Daddy, is this any good? It’s Harry Potter XVII!”
“No, son. This is what we call a merchandised piece of crap. Let’s look for something else, okay?”
“Sure thing, dad. You’re the greatest.”
“I know”

Good, huh?

In the future, they’ll be no more clueless parents, who’ll buy anything just to keep little Jimmy quiet.
We’ll make sure our kids play good games, and maybe put a stop to all the crap floating around. Because the clueless little kiddies won’t be so clueless anymore.

I know this’ll be a real-life situation, because I’m going to be (hopefully) a Games Designer. Meaning games will be an even bigger part of my life.
And my kids’ll know what’s what.
It’ll be fun.

On the flip-side, however, your kids’ll serve as a constant reminder of your growing age.
When they start beating you now and then.
Then when they just kick your bootang at every turn.
Then when they know more than you.
Then when they don’t wanna play your stupid old-fashioned games no more.

That’s the sad bit, you’ll know exactly when you’re just too old to play games.
And those little gimps’ll rub your face in it at every opportunity.

We’ve all tried to get our dads playing games, I’m sure. Some fail (me), some succeed.
But in the future it’ll be the dads (or mums) trying to get their kids to play games.

Either that, or games’ll just go out of fashion and we’ll be stuck in the past, all alone with our memories, setting up the old consoles in our bedrooms, weeping uncontrollably, thinking of the good old days whilst our hair falls out.

*Sob*
FFF
Thu 03/04/03 at 18:56
Regular
"Hallelujah"
If my child beat me i'd know i trained him well, if he taunted me afterwards i'd go speak to his mother.
Thu 03/04/03 at 19:15
Regular
"Brrrrr."
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Instead, it’ll be “Daddy, is this any good? It’s Harry Potter XVII!”
> “No, son. This is what we call a merchandised piece of crap. Let’s
> look for something else, okay?”
> “Sure thing, dad. You’re the greatest.”
> “I know”

Sounds good...
Thu 03/04/03 at 19:23
"period drama"
Yeah, I'd like that.
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:39
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Why do you assume that we're going to have children?

I for one, don't want to, because they're ugly and they smell.

And I'm ugly so I won't get sex.
Thu 03/04/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
My brother had my nephew and nieces playing the PSX before they could walk. The first thing he did when my nephew was born was go out and buy a baby car seat and got mu uncle to customise it so that he could use it in the sitting room to pop the baby in safely while trying to show him how to use the controller. Unfortunately for my brother, at the time all my nephew was interested in was how good the controller tasted.

My nephew is 7 now and a dab hand at most games we give him. He seems to have a gift for trouncing everyone at Tekken, and not just by button-mashing either! Scary stuff indeed!
Fri 04/04/03 at 11:23
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"

> That’s the sad bit, you’ll know exactly when you’re just too old to
> play games.

Gladly will not happen to me as I don't (and will never) have kids. My only problem is I'm worried that my hands will not be able to hold the handset (this will be a really sad day for me). I hope by the time I'm really old that the handsets will be changed to voice control so I can still play RPG's :)
Fri 04/04/03 at 12:05
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
My kids will be into their games just as much as they'll be into their motorbikes, and if they arent, then I'll sell them to medical research and get some that are.
Mon 07/04/03 at 18:23
"period drama"
*Does the Funky Gibbon*

Oh, yeah.
I rule.

Lardy-da-da.

Isn't it always the case?
Something I wrote off the top of me noggin wins, and all those planned things drown in their own vital fluids.

Boo-yeah.

*Dances for an un-polite and anti-social amout of time*
Mon 07/04/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Brrrrr."
> *Does the Funky Gibbon*
>
> Oh, yeah.
> I rule.
>
> Lardy-da-da.
>
> Isn't it always the case?
> Something I wrote off the top of me noggin wins, and all those planned
> things drown in their own vital fluids.
>
> Boo-yeah.
>
> *Dances for an un-polite and anti-social amout of time*

I suddenly have an urge to leave...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.