GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Classic games-related April Fools Jokes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/04/03 at 20:56
Regular
April Fools has been and gone. I've heard of a friend of mine telling his girlfriend he was pregnant, and another putting cling film over HIS OWN PARENTS' toilets, and I tried to steal Kyz's idea by singing Happy Birthday to some kid and got everyone else to join in...but what about all those brilliant pranks pulled by our digital heroes? Here are 10 of the best:

1. BOWSER IN 'JUST TO SAY HI' SHOCKER
Bowser knocked politely on Mario's door whilst he was chatting to Mario. Naturally the portly Italian plumber got ready for a ruck...but Bowser stepped back and said he had merely popped round to say hi, and adding "I have no intention of taking your girlfriend and hiding her in a place only accessible from a large and imaginative hubworld." Mario was shocked, then confused, until finally letting Bowser in. The huge green monster then proceeded to shout 'APRIL FOOLS!' and steal Peach again.

2. NINTENDO IN NEW HANDHELD CLAIM
Who would have suspected it, eh? Not long after they released the overpriced, glorified SNES emulator of a Game Boy Advance the big N announced that they would be re-releasing the GBA, only this time it would be good and you'd all have to buy it because it would make the old one rubbish. Claims of a front-light and rechargeable battery were bandied about within hours of the announcement...but it was all a hoax. Of course it was. Nintendo aren't so mean that they'd screw over all their loyal GBA owners!

3. LARA CROFT IN ANTI-FUR CAMPAIGN
Following on from such protests as lots of ugly old women storming a catwalk with signs protesting against using cats as coats, Lara Croft decided to prank the over-opinionated bints by going to one of their meetings decked out in her famous combat gear, apologising for all those rare Siberian tigers she'd killed. She then handed over her pistols, and went on in to the backroom where previously mistreated animals were now being kept. Ms Croft then yelled 'APRIL FOOLS!', grabbed another pair of concealed pistols, and shot all the animals before attempting to jump out the window, only to slightly mistime it and impale herself on a pit of spikes.

4. ELECTRONIC ARTS SNAPS UP THE RIGHTS TO THE WNBA
Who can forget that famous board meeting where Electronic Arts' EA Sports division announced that they had sealed an exclusive deal allowing them to make the official Women's National Basketball Association games? Everybody was fooled, despite the glaringly obvious facts that basketball is rubbish and so are woman sports. The representetive ended the meeting by heartily shouting 'APRIL FOOLS!' and then announcing another fourteen expansion packs for The Sims and the new Fifa.

5. SAMUS IS ACTUALLY A MAN
We were all shocked to discover at the end of Metroid that our hero was not the big tough man we all thought, but in fact was a namby pamby girl. Nintendo had us all for suckers a few years back though, when a special highlight reel which included shots of the 2-player Mario 64 and a prototype of the Dolphin console (incidentally shaped like a dolphin, which made a clicking noise when you pressed the on button) also revealed a cut-scene in which Samus removed her helmet to reveal a blonde bombshell...only to remove THAT head to show a big tough man's head, with stubble and everything. He winked at the camera, before booming 'APRIL FOOLS!' and pulling THAT head off, revealing it was actually Mr Grimley from the Amusement Park. He ended the reel by claiming that he would have got away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids.

6. PERFECT DARK DIRECTOR'S CUT: COMPLETE WITH PLAYABLE FRAMERATE
Those jokers over at Twycross had me on for one when they announced a new version of Perfect Dark which would include a framerate that was above the original's 8 frames pers second, and fix up many of the 'minor bugs' such as including a scene at the beginning of the game where that prat Elvis is violently murdered and skipping the silly alien end of the game. Then, at the end of the Rare newsletter, millions of hearts were crushed as we read the words: "APRIL FOOLS! We're off to work on some stupid game with a fox for twelve years!"

7. SEQUEL TO METAL GEAR SOLID ANNOUNCED
Hideo Kojima has always looked like he had a sense of humour. Must be that delicate smile, the deep, dark eyes...ahem, anyway, Konami pulled a fast one on all Sony fans when they announced that arguably the best game on the system, Metal Gear Solid, would get a sequel on the PS2. It would be more challenging, with a better storyline, and would allow us to once again don the mullet and snap some necks. Then a year and a bit after the PS2 was released we got an over-complicated film full of plot twists and homoerotic overtones complete with an interactive menu hosted by some cartwheeling ponce with blonde hair. Ooh, that Kojima!

8. CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 3:D
AD 2000. Championship Manager 3 is the best sports management simulation ever made, ever. So how brilliant was it when an eight page spread in 'Microsoft Office and Other Boring Databases' magazine announced that the next installment of CM3 would in fact be CM3:D, allowing you to walk around a fully realised locker room and draw on those chalkboard things to set up your tactics. There would also be a 3D game engine used for matches, and complete lip-synching and voice-overs. Imagine my suprise when it was another bloomin' roster update. Gah.

9. RYU AND KEN ARE ONE AND THE SAME
Think about it. A bit...you know, in touch with their inner woman. Both had long hair. Wore dressing gowns everywear. Shot things out of their hands. You never saw them in the same room, did you? Well when E. Honda called a press conference to announce that they were the same person, nobody was suprised. Well, have you ever seen them on the same screen? Yes? Well, shut up. E. Honda couldn't last however, and admitted half way through the conference that it was in fact an "APRIL FOOLS!" joke. He proceeded to shake his hands wildly and then eat a BBC journalist.

10. GTA: NICE CITY
Rockstar released a full 3D version of Grand Theft Auto and were suddenly brilliant. They could do no wrong. They could release State of Emergency and make it do well in the charts! So it was another sign of them being willing to shift the goalposts yet again when they announced a sequel, GTA: Nice City. Taking place in the 80s, you would help people trying to perfect their Flock of Seagulls hair-dos, and assist old ladies in crossing the street. All in a fictional American city. You could enter flowershops, and buy gifts for your friends...it sounded lovely, but then the representative from Rockstar shouted "APRIL FOOLS!" in a manic voice, told us that the next game would have EVEN MORE guns and swearing, and then ran off, creating a horrible swirling effect before having to stop for breath after twenty feet.

And there you have it. A comprehensive round up. Thanks for reading.
Fri 04/04/03 at 07:04
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
gerrid wrote:
> I don't get it.

*Slaps gerrid*

You idiot. I was hoping that you were going to post again a few minutes later saying "APRIL FOOLS!", but that train has sailed...
Fri 04/04/03 at 03:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
El Blokey wrote:
> I've heard of a friend of mine telling his girlfriend he was pregnant.

What? How does that work? Is he *really* persuasive or does his girlfriend just not understand the magical world of biology?
Thu 03/04/03 at 21:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't get it.
Thu 03/04/03 at 20:56
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
April Fools has been and gone. I've heard of a friend of mine telling his girlfriend he was pregnant, and another putting cling film over HIS OWN PARENTS' toilets, and I tried to steal Kyz's idea by singing Happy Birthday to some kid and got everyone else to join in...but what about all those brilliant pranks pulled by our digital heroes? Here are 10 of the best:

1. BOWSER IN 'JUST TO SAY HI' SHOCKER
Bowser knocked politely on Mario's door whilst he was chatting to Mario. Naturally the portly Italian plumber got ready for a ruck...but Bowser stepped back and said he had merely popped round to say hi, and adding "I have no intention of taking your girlfriend and hiding her in a place only accessible from a large and imaginative hubworld." Mario was shocked, then confused, until finally letting Bowser in. The huge green monster then proceeded to shout 'APRIL FOOLS!' and steal Peach again.

2. NINTENDO IN NEW HANDHELD CLAIM
Who would have suspected it, eh? Not long after they released the overpriced, glorified SNES emulator of a Game Boy Advance the big N announced that they would be re-releasing the GBA, only this time it would be good and you'd all have to buy it because it would make the old one rubbish. Claims of a front-light and rechargeable battery were bandied about within hours of the announcement...but it was all a hoax. Of course it was. Nintendo aren't so mean that they'd screw over all their loyal GBA owners!

3. LARA CROFT IN ANTI-FUR CAMPAIGN
Following on from such protests as lots of ugly old women storming a catwalk with signs protesting against using cats as coats, Lara Croft decided to prank the over-opinionated bints by going to one of their meetings decked out in her famous combat gear, apologising for all those rare Siberian tigers she'd killed. She then handed over her pistols, and went on in to the backroom where previously mistreated animals were now being kept. Ms Croft then yelled 'APRIL FOOLS!', grabbed another pair of concealed pistols, and shot all the animals before attempting to jump out the window, only to slightly mistime it and impale herself on a pit of spikes.

4. ELECTRONIC ARTS SNAPS UP THE RIGHTS TO THE WNBA
Who can forget that famous board meeting where Electronic Arts' EA Sports division announced that they had sealed an exclusive deal allowing them to make the official Women's National Basketball Association games? Everybody was fooled, despite the glaringly obvious facts that basketball is rubbish and so are woman sports. The representetive ended the meeting by heartily shouting 'APRIL FOOLS!' and then announcing another fourteen expansion packs for The Sims and the new Fifa.

5. SAMUS IS ACTUALLY A MAN
We were all shocked to discover at the end of Metroid that our hero was not the big tough man we all thought, but in fact was a namby pamby girl. Nintendo had us all for suckers a few years back though, when a special highlight reel which included shots of the 2-player Mario 64 and a prototype of the Dolphin console (incidentally shaped like a dolphin, which made a clicking noise when you pressed the on button) also revealed a cut-scene in which Samus removed her helmet to reveal a blonde bombshell...only to remove THAT head to show a big tough man's head, with stubble and everything. He winked at the camera, before booming 'APRIL FOOLS!' and pulling THAT head off, revealing it was actually Mr Grimley from the Amusement Park. He ended the reel by claiming that he would have got away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids.

6. PERFECT DARK DIRECTOR'S CUT: COMPLETE WITH PLAYABLE FRAMERATE
Those jokers over at Twycross had me on for one when they announced a new version of Perfect Dark which would include a framerate that was above the original's 8 frames pers second, and fix up many of the 'minor bugs' such as including a scene at the beginning of the game where that prat Elvis is violently murdered and skipping the silly alien end of the game. Then, at the end of the Rare newsletter, millions of hearts were crushed as we read the words: "APRIL FOOLS! We're off to work on some stupid game with a fox for twelve years!"

7. SEQUEL TO METAL GEAR SOLID ANNOUNCED
Hideo Kojima has always looked like he had a sense of humour. Must be that delicate smile, the deep, dark eyes...ahem, anyway, Konami pulled a fast one on all Sony fans when they announced that arguably the best game on the system, Metal Gear Solid, would get a sequel on the PS2. It would be more challenging, with a better storyline, and would allow us to once again don the mullet and snap some necks. Then a year and a bit after the PS2 was released we got an over-complicated film full of plot twists and homoerotic overtones complete with an interactive menu hosted by some cartwheeling ponce with blonde hair. Ooh, that Kojima!

8. CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 3:D
AD 2000. Championship Manager 3 is the best sports management simulation ever made, ever. So how brilliant was it when an eight page spread in 'Microsoft Office and Other Boring Databases' magazine announced that the next installment of CM3 would in fact be CM3:D, allowing you to walk around a fully realised locker room and draw on those chalkboard things to set up your tactics. There would also be a 3D game engine used for matches, and complete lip-synching and voice-overs. Imagine my suprise when it was another bloomin' roster update. Gah.

9. RYU AND KEN ARE ONE AND THE SAME
Think about it. A bit...you know, in touch with their inner woman. Both had long hair. Wore dressing gowns everywear. Shot things out of their hands. You never saw them in the same room, did you? Well when E. Honda called a press conference to announce that they were the same person, nobody was suprised. Well, have you ever seen them on the same screen? Yes? Well, shut up. E. Honda couldn't last however, and admitted half way through the conference that it was in fact an "APRIL FOOLS!" joke. He proceeded to shake his hands wildly and then eat a BBC journalist.

10. GTA: NICE CITY
Rockstar released a full 3D version of Grand Theft Auto and were suddenly brilliant. They could do no wrong. They could release State of Emergency and make it do well in the charts! So it was another sign of them being willing to shift the goalposts yet again when they announced a sequel, GTA: Nice City. Taking place in the 80s, you would help people trying to perfect their Flock of Seagulls hair-dos, and assist old ladies in crossing the street. All in a fictional American city. You could enter flowershops, and buy gifts for your friends...it sounded lovely, but then the representative from Rockstar shouted "APRIL FOOLS!" in a manic voice, told us that the next game would have EVEN MORE guns and swearing, and then ran off, creating a horrible swirling effect before having to stop for breath after twenty feet.

And there you have it. A comprehensive round up. Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.