GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamedreaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/04/03 at 15:02
Regular
Everyone daydreams occasionally, but its the preserve of hardcore gamers to lapse into a state of 'gamedream'. For me, this usually flickers in after a particularly long stint on one single game: when those specific gameplay routines have been firmly etched into your immediate consciousness... and you can think of little else. As I go about my daily norms my concentration inevitably wanders from time to time: and that's when reality and gamedreaming collide.

Different game types tend to stimulate different gamedreams. Unfortunately, as mind my wanders off, and passers-by polygonize, there are often dangerous consequences to this psychological phenomenon. The worst offending genres are:

EXTREME SPORTS GAMES
1080 Snowboarding and the Tony Hawks series provide a classic impetus for this style of gamedream. Just like the videogames themselves, these mirages are potentially extremely dangerous. Especially when extremely drunk. You start looking for extremely good bits to 'grind' and then you attempt to mime a 'stalefish' down the flight of steps at the train station... without a skateboard... You fall over... You jar your ankle... It's extremely painful. People laugh. At least you'll snap out of it when you see the sight of your own extreme blood oozing from your own extreme elbow.

RACING GAMES
Perhaps the most hazardous gamedream of all, a lengthy sesh 'burning-out' on Burnout 2 or Midnight Run can turn your subconscious-self into a maniacal-petrol-guzzling-grease-monkey with Castrol foaming from the corners of your mouth. Should you experience these symptoms, please do not attempt even a simple drive down to the shops. It might start off alright, but wait until your mind wanders at the traffic lights. Suddenly, racedreams take over. You drop a gear, and your clutch, burn down the bus lane, undertake a taxi, drift into oncoming traffic.. CRASH !*!#! At least you might snap out of it, weeks later, in hospital.

CRIME GAMES
GTA 3, GTA Vice City and The Getaway can all trigger an especially malevolent state of gamedream. Admit it! everyone's had to fight off these voices before ( haven't they :>). You're running to catch a bus, then a fat Merc splashes puddlewater all over your spanking new Carhartts. Quick! Pull them out of the vehicle, pound their face with a brick, then steal their motor. Next thing you know, you've ram-raided the local Off-License, squished an old lady and committed over 1000 violations of the Highway Code. I usually snap out of it by the time the Fuzz arrive... so I can't usually plead a light sentence on the grounds of insanity. Doh!

ROLEPLAYING GAMES
If you regularly experience gamedreams, then you'll know the potency of a roleplaying adventure. That can really mess around with your peridontal-atrium, forcefully begging a schizophrenic-like duel idenity in those moments of semi-slumber. I am Hazuki-San, I must avenge my father's murder. I need to pay a ninja for information... please take my collection of car-boot sale objects in return for $500. I am wounded, please give me some chicken... These profound hallucinations normally fade by the time you've asked the twentieth random person where the nearest save-point can be found. At least you'll snap out of it completely by the time you've been committed by those men in white coats.

SPORTS GAMES
Mastery of a game like Pro Evo or Virtua Tennis contributes greatly to this deepest and realest of gamedreams. Indeed, with sports games it can mutate into genuine delusions of grandeur. I know a surprisingly large number of people who think they're decent at a sport because they've completed the world tournaments on their console equivalents. What's worse: some people will never snap out of it.

SO REMEMBER KIDS!
Always switch between games regularly, take breaks at 20 minute intervals, and avoid playing games when overly-tired.
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:42
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I did a topic on this, and also won!

You did a good job to win with the same material.

:D
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:58
"period drama"
Nice one, GAD and all, cheeky little git.
Although, I have to add - I did win GAD the day before you (even if it was for a crap topic).

Anywho, down to the subject.
I often do gamedream - at the moment it's usually about Monkey Ball (whatever level I'm stuck on).

But, usually, I dream about the games I'm gonna design. (I'm hopefully going to be a Games Designer if you didn't guess). I've got a few ideas floating around, 3 really solid ones, and always thinking of how everything'll fit together, and if there's any really original ideas I can think of.
This kind of gamedreaming is much better.
Mon 07/04/03 at 01:09
Regular
"95% organic"
I agree. I totally rock.

; )
Fri 04/04/03 at 20:55
Regular
Illzen.

You are a credit to this forum.

Fantastic.
Fri 04/04/03 at 15:02
Regular
"95% organic"
Everyone daydreams occasionally, but its the preserve of hardcore gamers to lapse into a state of 'gamedream'. For me, this usually flickers in after a particularly long stint on one single game: when those specific gameplay routines have been firmly etched into your immediate consciousness... and you can think of little else. As I go about my daily norms my concentration inevitably wanders from time to time: and that's when reality and gamedreaming collide.

Different game types tend to stimulate different gamedreams. Unfortunately, as mind my wanders off, and passers-by polygonize, there are often dangerous consequences to this psychological phenomenon. The worst offending genres are:

EXTREME SPORTS GAMES
1080 Snowboarding and the Tony Hawks series provide a classic impetus for this style of gamedream. Just like the videogames themselves, these mirages are potentially extremely dangerous. Especially when extremely drunk. You start looking for extremely good bits to 'grind' and then you attempt to mime a 'stalefish' down the flight of steps at the train station... without a skateboard... You fall over... You jar your ankle... It's extremely painful. People laugh. At least you'll snap out of it when you see the sight of your own extreme blood oozing from your own extreme elbow.

RACING GAMES
Perhaps the most hazardous gamedream of all, a lengthy sesh 'burning-out' on Burnout 2 or Midnight Run can turn your subconscious-self into a maniacal-petrol-guzzling-grease-monkey with Castrol foaming from the corners of your mouth. Should you experience these symptoms, please do not attempt even a simple drive down to the shops. It might start off alright, but wait until your mind wanders at the traffic lights. Suddenly, racedreams take over. You drop a gear, and your clutch, burn down the bus lane, undertake a taxi, drift into oncoming traffic.. CRASH !*!#! At least you might snap out of it, weeks later, in hospital.

CRIME GAMES
GTA 3, GTA Vice City and The Getaway can all trigger an especially malevolent state of gamedream. Admit it! everyone's had to fight off these voices before ( haven't they :>). You're running to catch a bus, then a fat Merc splashes puddlewater all over your spanking new Carhartts. Quick! Pull them out of the vehicle, pound their face with a brick, then steal their motor. Next thing you know, you've ram-raided the local Off-License, squished an old lady and committed over 1000 violations of the Highway Code. I usually snap out of it by the time the Fuzz arrive... so I can't usually plead a light sentence on the grounds of insanity. Doh!

ROLEPLAYING GAMES
If you regularly experience gamedreams, then you'll know the potency of a roleplaying adventure. That can really mess around with your peridontal-atrium, forcefully begging a schizophrenic-like duel idenity in those moments of semi-slumber. I am Hazuki-San, I must avenge my father's murder. I need to pay a ninja for information... please take my collection of car-boot sale objects in return for $500. I am wounded, please give me some chicken... These profound hallucinations normally fade by the time you've asked the twentieth random person where the nearest save-point can be found. At least you'll snap out of it completely by the time you've been committed by those men in white coats.

SPORTS GAMES
Mastery of a game like Pro Evo or Virtua Tennis contributes greatly to this deepest and realest of gamedreams. Indeed, with sports games it can mutate into genuine delusions of grandeur. I know a surprisingly large number of people who think they're decent at a sport because they've completed the world tournaments on their console equivalents. What's worse: some people will never snap out of it.

SO REMEMBER KIDS!
Always switch between games regularly, take breaks at 20 minute intervals, and avoid playing games when overly-tired.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.