GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Does The Game "The Thing" constantly hang"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Thing'.
Fri 04/04/03 at 17:27
Regular
Just installed "The Thing" but every time I start a new game and watch the short intro sequence in which the 2 guys get eaten the screen goes blank and then the game hangs and I am returned to the desktop.

I am running XP with a GeForce 440mx 64mb graphics card and have Directx9 installed.

Can any one help.

TIA
Sun 06/04/03 at 12:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I actually had the same problem with the game when I first got it, I got it fixed by downloading the latest patch for the game, then it worked fine.

Try:
http://www.fileshack.com/search.x? [SPACE] searchterm=the+thing&p=2&t=39&to=date&tor=DESC

You do have to join to download from there, but it's free, and hopefully the patch should fix your problem.
Sun 06/04/03 at 12:45
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
No. Wrong.

Their hardware is DX7, but they can emulate certain features beyond this in software, it just gives crap performance.

You might be running the old drivers designed for DirectX 8, check the nVidia site for updates.
Sun 06/04/03 at 12:42
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I believe Geforce 4 MXs don't run Direct X higher than 7.

Sorry.
Sat 05/04/03 at 22:21
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Are the graphics drivers designed to run on DirectX 9?

If not then that might be the problem.
Fri 04/04/03 at 17:27
Regular
Just installed "The Thing" but every time I start a new game and watch the short intro sequence in which the 2 guys get eaten the screen goes blank and then the game hangs and I am returned to the desktop.

I am running XP with a GeForce 440mx 64mb graphics card and have Directx9 installed.

Can any one help.

TIA

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.