GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Diary of a GameCube"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/11/01 at 20:39
Regular
Thinking back about the day that had just passed, as I slumped onto my hotel bed, TV remote in one hand, glass of Coke in the other, I knew there was something I had forgotten to do. My main intent on coming to L.A was to attend the conference for work, but there was still another thing that I had come for which I had not yet fulfilled. Sipping slowly from the glass, I suddenly remembered what it was.

The next morning, I got up fairly early and changed into casual clothes – well, as casual as you can get, and half dressed I made my way downstairs to the breakfast room. Waffling down a waffle and cup of coffee, I made one last check I had fully packed, and left the hotel. Hailing a taxicab as one drove past, I asked the cabby ‘The nearest shopping district please’.

I stepped out into the now bright sunlight, with a large open-air shopping precinct in front of me. I quickly glanced around for a store which looked like it would sell anything remotely linked to video-gaming, but alas, I saw none. Frantically, I continued to walk quickly through the precinct. My plane was to leave in but 3 hours, and I was yet to fulfil my second, but probably more superior aim. Suddenly, after rounding a corner into another car park, I spotted in the distant a large sign which spelt out to me ‘bliss’. Toys’r’us.

I hurriedly entered the store and asked the nearest assistant where the electronics section was. I didn’t want to waste any time and was in a rush anyway. I walked down the isle pointed to me and. (cue bright shining lights and heavenly music) , I saw my first real-life GameCube, surrounded by a few kids. Excited the very core, I snapped up an empty box off the shelf, along with copies of Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, Pikmin, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3. I made my way to the checkout, and was absolutely glowing with happiness until the cashier said the dreadful words. ‘I’m sorry sir, the only consoles left are for pre-orders’.

The colour drained from my face. I felt like crying. I tried to explain to the lady that I was just visiting LA and that I really lived in Britain, and this was my only chance to buy the console. She continued to apologise, and almost in tears, I slumped out of the shop, and took a cab to the airport. The journey took half an hour and was very dull. I checked in and sat in the commuters lounge.

Half an hour before boarding, I decided to go and dwell on my pains over a pint. I walked to the nearest cafe (they sell beer in cafes in the US), and was about to sit down, when I spotted next door an electronics shop with a big GameCube logo in the window My heart leapt, and I apologised to the waiter, hurrying over to the shop. On the shelf on the right hand corner, staring back at me, was a solitary GameCube box and copies of the very 4 games I wanted. I scooped it all up, and went to the counter, where the friendly old man commented on the quality of the console and let me buy them duty free! I was very happy, and only just managed to fit it all in my hand luggage, but I arrived back in Britain to the lovely torrent of rain feeling like the luckiest man alive.

I had not only gotten a GameCube, but I got it cheaper than thousands of other punters. Now I am here at home, playing hours on end and ignoring work. So, work should have been my main aim, but in the long term, gaming really is the solution to life’s little problems. The moral of the story? Gaming should be neglected by no man, woman or child, and should be undertaken at every opportunity despite other priorities.
Thu 29/11/01 at 20:39
Thinking back about the day that had just passed, as I slumped onto my hotel bed, TV remote in one hand, glass of Coke in the other, I knew there was something I had forgotten to do. My main intent on coming to L.A was to attend the conference for work, but there was still another thing that I had come for which I had not yet fulfilled. Sipping slowly from the glass, I suddenly remembered what it was.

The next morning, I got up fairly early and changed into casual clothes – well, as casual as you can get, and half dressed I made my way downstairs to the breakfast room. Waffling down a waffle and cup of coffee, I made one last check I had fully packed, and left the hotel. Hailing a taxicab as one drove past, I asked the cabby ‘The nearest shopping district please’.

I stepped out into the now bright sunlight, with a large open-air shopping precinct in front of me. I quickly glanced around for a store which looked like it would sell anything remotely linked to video-gaming, but alas, I saw none. Frantically, I continued to walk quickly through the precinct. My plane was to leave in but 3 hours, and I was yet to fulfil my second, but probably more superior aim. Suddenly, after rounding a corner into another car park, I spotted in the distant a large sign which spelt out to me ‘bliss’. Toys’r’us.

I hurriedly entered the store and asked the nearest assistant where the electronics section was. I didn’t want to waste any time and was in a rush anyway. I walked down the isle pointed to me and. (cue bright shining lights and heavenly music) , I saw my first real-life GameCube, surrounded by a few kids. Excited the very core, I snapped up an empty box off the shelf, along with copies of Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, Pikmin, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3. I made my way to the checkout, and was absolutely glowing with happiness until the cashier said the dreadful words. ‘I’m sorry sir, the only consoles left are for pre-orders’.

The colour drained from my face. I felt like crying. I tried to explain to the lady that I was just visiting LA and that I really lived in Britain, and this was my only chance to buy the console. She continued to apologise, and almost in tears, I slumped out of the shop, and took a cab to the airport. The journey took half an hour and was very dull. I checked in and sat in the commuters lounge.

Half an hour before boarding, I decided to go and dwell on my pains over a pint. I walked to the nearest cafe (they sell beer in cafes in the US), and was about to sit down, when I spotted next door an electronics shop with a big GameCube logo in the window My heart leapt, and I apologised to the waiter, hurrying over to the shop. On the shelf on the right hand corner, staring back at me, was a solitary GameCube box and copies of the very 4 games I wanted. I scooped it all up, and went to the counter, where the friendly old man commented on the quality of the console and let me buy them duty free! I was very happy, and only just managed to fit it all in my hand luggage, but I arrived back in Britain to the lovely torrent of rain feeling like the luckiest man alive.

I had not only gotten a GameCube, but I got it cheaper than thousands of other punters. Now I am here at home, playing hours on end and ignoring work. So, work should have been my main aim, but in the long term, gaming really is the solution to life’s little problems. The moral of the story? Gaming should be neglected by no man, woman or child, and should be undertaken at every opportunity despite other priorities.
Thu 29/11/01 at 20:44
Regular
It's not fair !!!!
I WANT A GAMECUBE !!!! hrmmmppphhhhhhh
sob, sob, sob
Yr so lucky....cool story
Thu 29/11/01 at 21:13
Regular
"¬_¬"
I feel your pain too. I wanted a Jap one for ages and now I want a US one. I'm considering buying one from the american EB site. They're quite cheap and postage isn't too much. You should look into it
Thu 29/11/01 at 22:38
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
For once I admire a JAT (Just Arrived Today)...

*drool*

Oh, and you can spell and have sooprizinglie good grammer, which is unusual on here.

(oh and that wierd word is suprisingly, I was being sarcastic :D)
Fri 30/11/01 at 17:38
Regular
½pint wrote:
> I feel your pain too. I wanted a Jap one for ages and now I want a US one. I'm
> considering buying one from the american EB site. They're quite cheap and
> postage isn't too much. You should look into it
Thankz for the advice...i'll look into it aswell
Sun 02/12/01 at 09:54
Regular
"¬_¬"
One slight problem, though, is that almost all US shops are sold out!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.