GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"At last a headline to be proud of...."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/07 at 11:00
Regular
You may have heard on the news recently about a "hero" who helped a security guard in an armed robbery where he was shot. It appears he was a gamer. The below is taken from www.purepwnage.com. He also makes some good points gaming being blamed for alot of the shootings that happen.

"I had intended for my inaugural blog post to be about my childlike giddiness for StarCraft 2, but instead it's going to be about 24 year-old Adam Mapleson, who on Saturday night was shot in the chest while coming to the aid of security guards during a robbery in the UK.

I'll be honest - I'm not much of a general "news" kind of guy. Oddly enough, reading about tragedy and injustice sort of bums me out. But in this case the image of the man who was shot grabbed my attention and made my heart f**king drop - he was wearing a Pure Pwnage hat. Immediately I re-read the headline and image caption, admittedly slightly panicked at the idea that I may have misinterpreted it and some Pure Pwnage fan had gone out and shot up a mall or something crazy that Jack Thompson would inevitably blame on my monitor humping adventures. Thankfully, the gamer in this case was the hero.

I'm no journalist, so I'm not going to tell you the story. You can read about it here or here. I'm posting about this because nowhere have I read, nor would I ever expect to read, a headline such as: "Man saves security guard, video games credited for heroics". Yet somehow if the situation were different, and Adam had instead been some ball-less video-gaming metal-listening commuter-shooting robber, someone would be up this story's ass in a Nintendo-second with claims equally as absurd - I'd bet my original gold Legend of Zelda NES cartridge on it. "Completely insane f**ker shoots people, video games obviously at fault...... lack of frontal lobe was not a factor, says local moron". Both perspectives are ridiculous but only one gets printed regularly, so I'm here to help balance that out. I'll save the whole "art influences" tirade for its own blog post.

Of course, video games don't actually have anything to do with what happened. It's one thing to fantasize about being a hero and another entirely to make a heroic split-second decision in real life. Adam didn't intervene because he has mad headshotting skillz in CS 1.6, or because he has good taste in music. He did what he did because of Pure Pwnage he's genuinely a good person. Adam, you pwn RL. The cast and crew of Pure Pwnage, along with our entire community, are wishing you the speediest of recoveries."
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 31/05/07 at 11:00
Regular
You may have heard on the news recently about a "hero" who helped a security guard in an armed robbery where he was shot. It appears he was a gamer. The below is taken from www.purepwnage.com. He also makes some good points gaming being blamed for alot of the shootings that happen.

"I had intended for my inaugural blog post to be about my childlike giddiness for StarCraft 2, but instead it's going to be about 24 year-old Adam Mapleson, who on Saturday night was shot in the chest while coming to the aid of security guards during a robbery in the UK.

I'll be honest - I'm not much of a general "news" kind of guy. Oddly enough, reading about tragedy and injustice sort of bums me out. But in this case the image of the man who was shot grabbed my attention and made my heart f**king drop - he was wearing a Pure Pwnage hat. Immediately I re-read the headline and image caption, admittedly slightly panicked at the idea that I may have misinterpreted it and some Pure Pwnage fan had gone out and shot up a mall or something crazy that Jack Thompson would inevitably blame on my monitor humping adventures. Thankfully, the gamer in this case was the hero.

I'm no journalist, so I'm not going to tell you the story. You can read about it here or here. I'm posting about this because nowhere have I read, nor would I ever expect to read, a headline such as: "Man saves security guard, video games credited for heroics". Yet somehow if the situation were different, and Adam had instead been some ball-less video-gaming metal-listening commuter-shooting robber, someone would be up this story's ass in a Nintendo-second with claims equally as absurd - I'd bet my original gold Legend of Zelda NES cartridge on it. "Completely insane f**ker shoots people, video games obviously at fault...... lack of frontal lobe was not a factor, says local moron". Both perspectives are ridiculous but only one gets printed regularly, so I'm here to help balance that out. I'll save the whole "art influences" tirade for its own blog post.

Of course, video games don't actually have anything to do with what happened. It's one thing to fantasize about being a hero and another entirely to make a heroic split-second decision in real life. Adam didn't intervene because he has mad headshotting skillz in CS 1.6, or because he has good taste in music. He did what he did because of Pure Pwnage he's genuinely a good person. Adam, you pwn RL. The cast and crew of Pure Pwnage, along with our entire community, are wishing you the speediest of recoveries."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.