GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who will win in the old console race?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/08/00 at 19:36
Regular
Yes the old console race. I have started a topic to change the often talked subject of super consoles. What about the Megadrive, Snes and the good old days? I want peoples views, and I want them now!

Here are my views.

Megadrive- Sonic was made on the Megadrive, and everyone marvelled at how fast the game was, some of us adored the blue blurred hedgehog, while some of us hated it. The controller was simple and comfy, and even Street Fighter 2 was easy to play on it. The major setback I think, was the poorly designed and backed light gun (the avenger? I think that is what it was called) the only games for it were the crappy six on the free cartridge (Toejam and Earl was fun) and Terminator 2. The megadrive holds one of my favourite games ever though - Toejam and Earl 2. Hip hop aliens who could teleport though the use of funk, and had to capture earthlings by smashing jars on their heads. Great fun.

Snes- Much better looking than the Megadrive, and better backed, Nintendos system was, I think, probably the better system. It had the absoultly fantanstic, and better than all the sonic games combined, Super Mario World. Other great games included Rare's Donkey Kong Country, and the wonderful Metroid and Zelda. The controller was much more complex than the Megadrive, but for some reason, was a lot more comfortable.

Your views please.
Thu 24/08/00 at 19:36
Regular
Yes the old console race. I have started a topic to change the often talked subject of super consoles. What about the Megadrive, Snes and the good old days? I want peoples views, and I want them now!

Here are my views.

Megadrive- Sonic was made on the Megadrive, and everyone marvelled at how fast the game was, some of us adored the blue blurred hedgehog, while some of us hated it. The controller was simple and comfy, and even Street Fighter 2 was easy to play on it. The major setback I think, was the poorly designed and backed light gun (the avenger? I think that is what it was called) the only games for it were the crappy six on the free cartridge (Toejam and Earl was fun) and Terminator 2. The megadrive holds one of my favourite games ever though - Toejam and Earl 2. Hip hop aliens who could teleport though the use of funk, and had to capture earthlings by smashing jars on their heads. Great fun.

Snes- Much better looking than the Megadrive, and better backed, Nintendos system was, I think, probably the better system. It had the absoultly fantanstic, and better than all the sonic games combined, Super Mario World. Other great games included Rare's Donkey Kong Country, and the wonderful Metroid and Zelda. The controller was much more complex than the Megadrive, but for some reason, was a lot more comfortable.

Your views please.
Thu 24/08/00 at 20:57
Have to agree with you. The SNES was the better console mainly because it had better games. Whereas I've always prefered Sonic to Mario, games like F-Zero, Mario Kart and Street Fighter II CE are nothing short of classics, and to play any of these you needed SNES. Sega's only 'classic' was the SOnic series, and even these were nothing compared to Nintendo's offerings technologically.
Rare did not add as much to the SNES as it has done to the N64, but Nintendo managed to milk a few great games from them. I wonder if Nintendo's lack of game development for the N64 has led to its collapse? They produced great game after great game for the SNES, but even though their N64 games are great, they are rarely released.
The Mega Drive seemed to suffer from exactly the opposite problem. Sega were the only people making games for their console, which meant quality was sacrificed for quantity. This seems to have switched in today's market; probably because Sega have switched to CDs while the big N still use carts, meaning less third party developers.
I think add-ons also played a part. While Nintendo lauched the big but affordable Super Scope, which was popular, Sega released the Mega CD - expensive, exclusive and elusive (fortunately Nintendo scrapped the 64DD before making the same mistake).
It all comes down to customer care. While Nintendo thought about affordability and great games, Sega wanted profits and more profits with the MD. Sony followed Nintendo's suit, which is probably why the PSX is such a great console. Hopefully companys can learn from previous mistakes to make competetion greater, and eventually prices lower.
Thu 24/08/00 at 22:20
Regular
Previous mistakes, and previous advances too. The memory card, Sonys idea is now incorperated into the N-Cube and the rumble pak, Nintendo design, now all consoles have.

Going back to the old consoles again, I was hoping to start an argument here, to take the arguements away from the new ones.
What to say....
Alright then. Sonic versus Mario.
Whos the best?
Right, Mario, Mr fat plumber rests his industructable head in the corner. Luigi stoops over the ropes, and to the suprise of the audience, somersaults in.
Sonic rests in the opposite corner, looking at himself in his reflection of his handy mirror. The (sexually inverted) fox, Tails, is rubbing him down with a towel. (I always wondered why that twin tailed freak followed him everywhere.)
Luigi brings out a wet sponge, and slaps Mario is the face with it. Mario shouts "Ma-ma-mia" and looks hurt. Luigi shouts at Mario, telling him to pull himself together, and to hit him where it hurts.
The audience chants out Sonics name in unison. Sonic takes the time to sign autographs in the crowd just outside the ring.
The first bell goes off.
Luigi backflips out, Tails wishes Sonic good luck and leaves also. Mario, dressed in only shorts (red), boots (black), and gloves (red). Although this is not strictly a boxing match, Mario feel better with gloves. Sonic, equally naked, if not more so, wears nothing covering his crotch (perhaps why the crowd cheers so much, or why Tails foll...) Anyway Sonic looks now to be quite serious, well as serious as a phyiscally impossible hedgehog can look. He eyes up Mario, takes a quick left step and... NO, No he's fooled Mario, he's took a nasty blow to the right. Mario, now lying facing the floor, is a bit stunned. Sonic takes a lap of honour, waving to his fans, singing autographs again. 10, 9, 8, 7.. no, there we are, Mario is back up again. And, yes hes heading towards Sonic, and, oh thats a dirty trick, hes jumped on his head. Only Mario could try and flatten someone really.
Sonic now realises how heavy Mario is. He holds his head in pain. I suppose he does deserve it for showing off all th.. ah Mario takes another punch at Mario, his glove making impact with one of the hedgehogs spines. Ouch. Mario is desperatly trying to remove the very large spine from his fist, while Sonic discovers laughter really is the best medicine with his headache now miraculously gone. Mario removes the spine, while Sonic attempts to charge himself up on the spot. If I were you Mario, I would move, now. Mario runs back to his corner, and climbs the corner post. Is that allowed? Who cares? Sonic speeds away and into the ropes, causing them to bounce him back in the same angle. Mario, observing the hedgehog pong beneath him, just sits and waits. Ding dong. The first round is over.

Mario gets down, and Luigi bounces in. Tails, the ever worryer, gets in and trys to stop Sonic. He'll stop of his own accord Tails, just wait in the corner. Luigi, trying to encourage Mario, works him up with another wet slap, and gives him a quick massage. Sonic is now laying in a heap in the centre of the ring. Tails drags him away and throws cold water over him.

Ding dong. Lara Croft in old and dirty clothes holds a sign saying round 2 (Shes got to get money somehow now...)
"Lets-a-go" Shouts Mario. Both fighters are alert and ready for action again now. Sonic has only damaged confidence, but remains strong. Sonic once again makes the first move, his famous spin jump scores a close miss as he screechs agaisnt the wooden floor, Mario, trying to knock Sonic while he is distracted, punts Sonics face with his black shoe. Ow. Sonic's, yes, yes his nose IS bleeding, but more importantly, his beautiful face is ruined. You can hear the screams of an adolescent fox in the background. Sonic is now mad. He runs at Mario and launches himself at him. He has Mario pinned down on the floor and is punching the (word) out of Mario. Luigi is shouting abuse at Mario. Eventually the Brooklyn plumber manages to throw the hedgehog over him. Bang against the post. Ouch again. His spines have nailed Sonic agaisnt the post, and Sonic is stuggling to free himself. Luigi calls for Mario, but the bell sounds before Mario can reach him.
A red eyed Tails is trying to pry Sonic free with a crowbar. Luigi is secretly talking to Mario, I am afraid I can't hear a word he's saying. Sonic is free. Tails, out of generousity, offers Sonic a ring. "For the fifth and last time Tails! I am not marrying you!" Tails looks down at his feet.
Ding dong. Lara displays her rack.. I mean board.
Mario gets up with a smile of his face. Sonic is weary, still disorientated from being nailed upside down. Mario smiles, and reaches into his short pockets. He produces....
A large wooden mallet.
In steps the guest referee, Crash Bandicoot. "HEY!!! LOOK AT ME!!! IM CRAZY! CRAZY!!! LOOK AT MY MAD MAD FLOPPY TONGUE!!!! LOOK AT MY CRAZY CRAZY EYES!!!! LOOK AT MY AIGGHHHHEEEEEEEE.... The sound of a irritating bandicoot landing several thousand metres away is heard. Mario takes the mallet back for another swing. Sonic runs around Mario, but Mario, rather quick for his weight, swings the mallet round, and scores a direct hit in Sonics face. Sonic picks up his nose, and runs away into the corner. Mario pursues him with the mallet lifts it high ready to drop on Sonic when... "HOLD IT" Mario stops. "We have a guest referee standing in for Crash!" A short blond haired elf in a green tunic steps forward. "Jet Set Willy!" The commentator shouts, and recieves a bundle of cash from Luigi. The elf shouts "You may proceed!" And Mario brings the mallet down on Sonic. "ROADKILLLLL" Shouts the commentator.
Mario is undoubtably (although there are some specualtions of cheating) the king of the ring. Tails is trying to peel Sonic from the wooden floor.
"Mario is theeeeee winneerrr!!" Mario jumps for joy, and unveals a secret brick.

That is what I think a fight between Mario and Sonic would be like.
Fri 25/08/00 at 13:47
Regular
Did anyone in here have an old console? I try to start and arguement and fail miserably :( Right then. The megadrive was a piece of crap and had hardly and good games. COME ON!!!! Someone argue!
Sat 26/08/00 at 11:12
With the console wars still raging at the moment I can't help feel sorry for all those people who are confused on what console to buy next. But for the people who have made their mind up, good for them. But with 3 main consoles lined up, which one should we all buy?

PSX2: This console doesn't have many games lined up at the moment but with the PSX behind it with so many great games, surely it could give the PSX2 a little shunt from behind. With previous games like the Tekken seris, Metal Gear Solid and all the hundreds of games, the makers of these games will surely want to make games for the PSX2, I mean with the exceptional graphic capabilities and sound, it would make their games even better and would promise a good future for the console. With a couple of games already in the bag like Tekken Tag Tournament, this console looks very promising at the moment and with DVD, this just makes it sound even better than ever.

Nintendo Dolphin: In the way of games for N64, I think this console could greatly suffer as it wouldn't have many games lined up from the previous games. But with games like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and the Mario seris they could look forward too some good follow-ups from these games. But with the lack of games previously, I think that not many good games will follow the console, and it will indefinatly fall.
If the Dolphin is CD, I think that will be the main falling point as Nintendo have stuck to cartridges for a long time, since begging I think, and changing to CD will be hard and could let them down. In the past they had respect for the cartridges as they loaded instantly but CD's don't, so I think they will suffer.

X-Box: Well...eh...Bill Gates? Can you really trust the old fella to produce some good quality games for you. Maybe. With his falling reputation for his 'Windows', this console should fall very qucikly. With no games lined up that I've heard of, this console won't make much money for him. But Bill Gates would pay a high price for companies too help him, so could this be the choice in the end. The windows 95 stalls very quickly when running, will his console do the same. Money is involved alot with Bill Gates, could his money buy him everything he needs for the console?

In the end they all try to get your money out of you one way or an other. My preference would by to trust Sony as they had promises in the past and they stuck to them. Then it would be the Nintendo in second and in last, the X-Box, which sounds like its own name, 'X' Box of junk.
Sat 26/08/00 at 12:17
Regular
DID YOU NOT READ THE TITLE!!!! OLD!!!!!!!!!!!
Sat 26/08/00 at 12:36
How could you forget the final fantasy series on the snes, they were true classics especially ff9. You also forgot the fifa series on the mega drive. You crazy fool!!
Sat 26/08/00 at 15:57
Regular
Thats exactly what I want! People write in and remember their favourite games!
Sat 26/08/00 at 15:59
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Secret Of Mana on the Super NES. Possible the GREATEST
Sat 26/08/00 at 16:06
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Oops! Sorry, accidentally hit the button. :o(

Secret Of Mana on the Super NES. Possible the GREATEST Role Playing Game I've played. I could never get into the Final Fantasy series though.

Super Metroid on the Super NES was fantastic too. :)

B/leeders
Kill Piracy!
...And also an avid visitor of DC Guide [http://www.dcguide.co.uk]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.