GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"what is a modchip?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/04/03 at 09:17
Regular
stupid me, ive forgot what a modchip is.......lol
Sun 06/04/03 at 17:45
Regular
If you mod your PS2 and it plays backups OK from the word go, it should remain trouble-free. However, as the PS2 laser is "on the edge" of being just powerful enough to read originals, moded PS2s sometimes have a bit of trouble reading certain backups. The way around this is to increase the power of the laser. It is THIS that can screw up your PS2 and burn out the laser.

If you don't do this power-increase, and put up with backups taking a bit longer to load than normal (due to something called spin-down) or often totally failing to load, this can seriously screw up the drive mechanism over time.

Answer is simple, use good media.
Sat 05/04/03 at 11:55
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Its not actually the modchip that screws up your Playstation (unless the installation goes wrong), its playing the copied games.

The laser is designed to play normal DVD or normal CD games and if you start playing copied ones it has to adjust to the disk type. Youre making the laser work harder to read the copied games so eventually it gets nackered and it starts going funny.
Sat 05/04/03 at 11:29
Regular
i guess you have to take a risk and see if it gets mucked up or not. to dodgey....
Sat 05/04/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
JUSTJAY wrote:
> but it mucks up your playstation right?...

Had my psx chipped since around '96 and it's still running fine.
Sat 05/04/03 at 11:19
Regular
is there anything that dusnt?
Sat 05/04/03 at 11:07
Regular
"Hmmm....."
In time, yes.
Sat 05/04/03 at 11:06
Regular
but it mucks up your playstation right?...
Sat 05/04/03 at 10:59
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Something that'll allow you to play import or copied games by stopping the signal from the CPU to stop phoney games playing.

Its also a new chip from McCain.
Sat 05/04/03 at 10:42
Regular
gee, thanx......
Sat 05/04/03 at 09:46
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
You bloody idiot. I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.