GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UN - Easy about Freeola website template plans"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/07 at 16:27
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Kev - Loki,

Sorry if I have missed something here but the introduction of an 'instant website builder template' is NOT a good thing for a lot of us who post here at all.

For example we currently have our portfolio of websites we have purchased, built and maintain for current clients on Freeola. A prospective client then arrives at Freeola, via us, to look at said sites sees the instant website for £50 or so and HEY PRESTO we loose business !!!.

It's hard enough these days with people thinking it's a 2 minute job to build a site or add 'just another 2 pages' (without realising you then have to update the other 8 to accomodate this. Also expecting it for near as damn it free, we have bills to pay too.

I totally fail to see how this aspect will be of any benefit whatsoever, please explain ?????

I agree the counters / stats / guestbooks will be welcome BUT not this. It is an utter kick in the teeth for your 'loyal' customers, we may as well move to another host who won't take our business away !!!!

Very Displeased with this.

Dan
Thu 31/05/07 at 09:09
Regular
"jameswoodcock.co.uk"
I don't see a problem with Freeola doing this, in fact quite the reverse!

There are many people who would love to have a website, but don't have the knowledge or confidence to actually go through with it. What Freeola are offering is a great starting point to get them on the Internet with as little fuss as possible, however...

Template designers are not going to be threatened I wouldn't have thought as the people who use this new Freeola feature will have a very limited requirement for what they need online, where as people will come to you who find this approach too flat-pack like and want to go that extra mile.

It could potentially give you a chance to have more sales as the 'beginner' webmasters gain more confidence and want something much more unique and personalised.

Just my thoughts :)
Wed 30/05/07 at 19:31
Regular
No idea on price Dan but I have signed up for the email updates, I still think that your templates will stand out from the crowd Dan, I dont see it as you are both after the same customers, after all will freeola templates sites have meta tags etc? its not a full service no comparision in my opinion.

Kev
Wed 30/05/07 at 19:21
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Kev,

To try and diversify i have just implemented a 'Template site' option myself, to appeal to this exact need.

I 'suspect' it may be a touch over the price that Freeola plan to offer !!!, any idea of the projected costs.

See what I mean... a conflict of interest.

Dan
Wed 30/05/07 at 19:17
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
This is exactly what I mean:

> Our aim is to offer services that we think our customers will
> enjoy and that will be profitable.

"PROFITABLE", certainly: Yet LOYAL customers who have been with you for 7 years plus and put up with the recent huge problems and have had to 'try' to account for these even though we have no idea what's going wrong as it's your fault.

This, without much complaining and actually pointing these problems out to freeola (HERE on this board) as you are not aware and have NO record of the error or accountability on the status page

Loyalty obviously means NOTHING.

VERY VERY disappointed
Wed 30/05/07 at 19:08
Regular
Not taking sides here but agree with Loki that what you offer Dan will not be matched by a template site, you are unique in style etc, would you want your site to look like all the rest? NO! you want it to be individual, as yours surely are.

I do think these are forward steps that freeola are taking and think that many user will use it for family sites etc and having a bit of fun on the web, where as your clients (Dan)will want to make money from any site that you make, I certainaly do not feel threatened by this move, as I said on the other thread, You build web sites butchers do meat plumbers do pipes, sure you can do basic plumber stuff ie DIY but for the real deal you need an expert, thats where you step in Dan and the template sites steps down. Room on the WWW. for everyone.

Kev
Wed 30/05/07 at 18:56
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Freeola is an ISP that provides internet connections and services to end users (both home and small business users). We are not set up to function primarily as a platform for resellers, although we are of course happy to assist designers using our services wherever possible.

Our aim is to offer services that we think our customers will enjoy and that will be profitable. We think that people will enjoy the Instant Site Builder service at a very reasonable price and I believe it will be to the benefit of the vast majority of our users.

And, as I previously stated, it will in no way threaten good web designers as there will always be demand for custom designs and flexible solutions for those who do not want to use a template-based system.
Wed 30/05/07 at 18:32
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
OK loki point taken,

What if someone has a website hosted on Freeola which promotes another isp who offers a complete hosting, stats, counter for less than you will ???. Is this allowed ???

Would Freeola take exception to this competition or would you be happy about it ?? Because that's EXACTLY what you are doing to us.

Freeola is a big business... we are NOT...most people DO NOT understand the process of webdesign, time involved and are VERY price driven--the grass is always greener.

In light of the recent failures / problems we have endured and stood by freeola you should be more sympathetic to us

Dan
Wed 30/05/07 at 17:16
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hi Dan,

I can't really see that there will be a conflict of interests. The Instant Site Builder service will be great for people who want to put up their own site quickly or play with the system and see what they can create. It will also be handy for experienced web designers who want to put up a site quickly.

However, there will always want people who will want a professional designer to create a completely custom, managed solution. That's where a good web designer will be invaluable.
Wed 30/05/07 at 16:27
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Kev - Loki,

Sorry if I have missed something here but the introduction of an 'instant website builder template' is NOT a good thing for a lot of us who post here at all.

For example we currently have our portfolio of websites we have purchased, built and maintain for current clients on Freeola. A prospective client then arrives at Freeola, via us, to look at said sites sees the instant website for £50 or so and HEY PRESTO we loose business !!!.

It's hard enough these days with people thinking it's a 2 minute job to build a site or add 'just another 2 pages' (without realising you then have to update the other 8 to accomodate this. Also expecting it for near as damn it free, we have bills to pay too.

I totally fail to see how this aspect will be of any benefit whatsoever, please explain ?????

I agree the counters / stats / guestbooks will be welcome BUT not this. It is an utter kick in the teeth for your 'loyal' customers, we may as well move to another host who won't take our business away !!!!

Very Displeased with this.

Dan

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.