GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THAT Moment"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Medal Of Honor: Frontline'.
Sun 06/04/03 at 00:57
Regular
It was a dull day outside, cloudy and moist, so I decided to stay in. What better way to vanquish my boredom than a good ol' bash on the computer, I thought. But the question that was really on my mind was "What game?" I gazed up and down the pile placed beside the beastly machine, and suddenly, for some strange reason, I was hit by a strange emotional dilemma, and I didnít know what to pick. There's something with games that has always got to me. I see it like this.

There are games I like, that have impressive graphics and gameplay, but they always find a way to make me stay clear away from them. Medal of Honour: Frontline for example. It began by immediately amazing me with its graphics and realism, and then as I progressed I discovered how good the gameplay was as well. Then, after guessing that things would become more difficult as I got further, there came a point in the game where I felt ďsod it!Ē The missions became too intense for a first person shooter, because of the hard to master controls, and I kept getting stuck as well as frustrated. So, when I reached a moment of helplessness, I switched things off with the intent of giving it another shot, another day.

The game made me too frustrated. And I find there are a lot of games out there that do this. Every game withholds the element of progression in some form or another, but itís with this that I think some creators donít get the balance right. They know that gamers want a challenge with their games, but sometimes I think they base the difficulty of their games on gamers of high caliber, which obviously isolates those, less skilled. I mean, Iím not a hardcore fan of the FPS genre, which ultimately suggests that Iím not incredibly good with them, but it doesnít mean I donít enjoy playing them. With MOH: Frontline, I did get better the more I played, but yet still, like most other games, there comes a point where youíre tested to the limit, and nine out of ten times, after several chances, you give up, left frustrated, which obviously doesnít leave much of an impression for future reference.

Iím all too familiar with this with the beatíem up genre. Everytime I get one of these I prefer to enter the story of the fighters than just fight for the sake of it. And itís here where things start to roughen up. The only way weíve seen beatíem ups progress is from arena to arena, fighter to fighter, and itís not bad. But it almost guarantees a future moment where even five attempts arenít enough to defeat the opponent. And itís these moments I hate, and that I find quite similar to torture. It stresses repetition that isnít very good for the gameís reputation, which is what prompts me to repel such games for the time being and explore with the others that Iíve seen very little of.

Itís not just beatíem ups and FPSs that contain this, but ultimately every single genre withholds this moment of extreme difficulty, using tactics of frustration and helplessness. Once you reach this moment, you tackle it as you have the level before, but only to find that things have changed. After a couple of heart-straining goes, frustration kicks in, and after several more, you feel helpless. Helplessness can only lead to one thought when playing, to switch off and have a break, but most of the time when this happens, I feel very reluctant to play that game again when Iím stuck for choice.

However, I have found with some games that these moments are only deceiving, that they actually can be overcome with a little more effort, but there has come a time where Iíve completely given up on a game, and that was with MOH: Frontline.

How about you?
Sun 06/04/03 at 10:52
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Yeah, and it's games with boss levels that have this the most. If it becomes too difficult, you have to play the same stage over and over until you find the correct combination of actions to defeat the boss. And I've found that after about four goes it's fun, but from then on it's as if I'm forcing myself to go through something I'm not even enjoying.

I don't think that's psychologically healthy, forcing yourself to participate in what you don't like doing, and that's exactly what some games do when they become too hard. At the end of the day, when games reach their maximum difficulty stage, the game no longer maintains its enjoyable status, instead, it prompts the hardest situation in the game. And I've always thought that developers make their games hard, just to make it seem longer, which makes it seem more worthwhile.

I think there's a barrier some games cross with difficulty. It's when the controls are already arduous to work with and then the game itself begins rock hard. From here on, you would only get aggrevated because of constant defeat, and no-one really likes a game where they can't win.
Sun 06/04/03 at 02:10
Regular
"I'm Great."
I've been there many times. I get so far anfd then that's it. I just can't do it or I do then it's over but I still can't be bothered to play as I know that it will only come back again. I've got a few games just sat on my shelf rotting away (Can games rot?). Just the fact that I keep failing. Yes I do suck at games but I don't care.
Sun 06/04/03 at 00:57
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
It was a dull day outside, cloudy and moist, so I decided to stay in. What better way to vanquish my boredom than a good ol' bash on the computer, I thought. But the question that was really on my mind was "What game?" I gazed up and down the pile placed beside the beastly machine, and suddenly, for some strange reason, I was hit by a strange emotional dilemma, and I didnít know what to pick. There's something with games that has always got to me. I see it like this.

There are games I like, that have impressive graphics and gameplay, but they always find a way to make me stay clear away from them. Medal of Honour: Frontline for example. It began by immediately amazing me with its graphics and realism, and then as I progressed I discovered how good the gameplay was as well. Then, after guessing that things would become more difficult as I got further, there came a point in the game where I felt ďsod it!Ē The missions became too intense for a first person shooter, because of the hard to master controls, and I kept getting stuck as well as frustrated. So, when I reached a moment of helplessness, I switched things off with the intent of giving it another shot, another day.

The game made me too frustrated. And I find there are a lot of games out there that do this. Every game withholds the element of progression in some form or another, but itís with this that I think some creators donít get the balance right. They know that gamers want a challenge with their games, but sometimes I think they base the difficulty of their games on gamers of high caliber, which obviously isolates those, less skilled. I mean, Iím not a hardcore fan of the FPS genre, which ultimately suggests that Iím not incredibly good with them, but it doesnít mean I donít enjoy playing them. With MOH: Frontline, I did get better the more I played, but yet still, like most other games, there comes a point where youíre tested to the limit, and nine out of ten times, after several chances, you give up, left frustrated, which obviously doesnít leave much of an impression for future reference.

Iím all too familiar with this with the beatíem up genre. Everytime I get one of these I prefer to enter the story of the fighters than just fight for the sake of it. And itís here where things start to roughen up. The only way weíve seen beatíem ups progress is from arena to arena, fighter to fighter, and itís not bad. But it almost guarantees a future moment where even five attempts arenít enough to defeat the opponent. And itís these moments I hate, and that I find quite similar to torture. It stresses repetition that isnít very good for the gameís reputation, which is what prompts me to repel such games for the time being and explore with the others that Iíve seen very little of.

Itís not just beatíem ups and FPSs that contain this, but ultimately every single genre withholds this moment of extreme difficulty, using tactics of frustration and helplessness. Once you reach this moment, you tackle it as you have the level before, but only to find that things have changed. After a couple of heart-straining goes, frustration kicks in, and after several more, you feel helpless. Helplessness can only lead to one thought when playing, to switch off and have a break, but most of the time when this happens, I feel very reluctant to play that game again when Iím stuck for choice.

However, I have found with some games that these moments are only deceiving, that they actually can be overcome with a little more effort, but there has come a time where Iíve completely given up on a game, and that was with MOH: Frontline.

How about you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.