GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SOCOM - How do you play yours?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'SOCOM: US Navy Seals'.
Sun 06/04/03 at 13:44
Regular
After hearing that people have been chosen to take part in the Network trials for the new Sony Network Adapter and such I am so eagily awaiting it myself. But being one of the unlucky few who haven't got Broadband yet and unable to take part in the said trials or neither the actual network gaming when and if it finally begins, I was disappointed at the fact of not being able to play one of the titles I am bursting to play.
With a little research, my luck was in. I found out that SOCOM will have a healthy single-player mode aswell as the Multiplayer-online gaming feature.

The game will be launched with the PS2 network adapter and also comes with the valuable USB headset, useful for both single and multiplayer modes (explained more below).
The multiplayer game is only available for online play via the Network Adaptor, whereas the single player option is much like any other game, played on your PS2.

Extract from uk.playstation.com

"Thankfully in addition to its online abilities, SOCOM comes fully armed with challenging missions, robust computer allies and enemies and a groundbreaking voice-recognition system via the USB headset."

"In the single-player game, you take the role of a SEAL, call-sign Kahuna, commander of an elite four-man SEAL contingent. Like Ghost Recon, the team is broken into two elements, Able and Bravo, with the lead element (Able) consisting of you and your partner Boomer, backed up by Jester and Spectre in Bravo element. Your mission is to head into enemy territory through 12 challenging missions and to give no quarter to international terrorism. Missions range from information retrieval and reconnaissance, to demolition and hostage rescue, and take place across five very different environments. You and your team will be fighting through the jungles of the Congo, the ancient ruins of Thailand, the deserts of Turkmenistan, snowbound Alaska and a number of industrial levels such as oil-rigs and cargo ships. The levels are varied in both time of day and weather and are graphically lush with lots of detailed touches - such as collapsed statues, burnt out cars, bomb craters - that not only look nice but also offer somewhere to take cover. "

"Sound is also very important in SOCOM and thankfully nicely done. As well as authentic bangs and ker-clicks that Guns & Ammo subscribers get off on, listening to the environment can be as important as taking out an enemy sniper. Be careful of your footsteps and walk slowly - the rustle of grass, creak of wood or crunch of snow could give away your position and send you home in a bag. By the same token, keep your ears open for the sound of any heavy-footed enemies. A handy visual indicator around your crosshairs will tip you off to direction of any noises you hear. "

"Talking of using your ears, the groovy SOCOM headset isn't just for discussing camouflage fashion tips with your fellow gamers in multiplayer games; it is also expertly put to use in the single player game. Without the headset, a quick press of the circle button opens a series of drop down menus to order your whole team or each element individually. A few swift button presses lets you issue orders. Put the headset on, and if you don't mind barking commands like "Bravo: run to crosshairs", "Able: deploy satchel charge" or "Team: fire at will" then your artificial men will follow your orders."

"The voice orders follow the same structure as the menu orders (who, what, where), so you just press and hold Circle and state, for example: "Bravo [who]: run to [what], crosshairs [where]". Your gruff teammates will then act on your orders, and just like the real deal they'll confirm verbally right in your headset, not via the TV speaker. How brilliant is that? It may not sound like much, but it does immerse you that much more in the whole experience. The environmental sound effects (gunfire, weather effects, footsteps, etc.) come from the TV but all team chatter and radio messages from SOCOM (Special Operations COMmand) are covertly piped directly into your lughole."

"As well as nattering, you and your team are pretty darn skilled at what you're trained for - sneaking and shooting. The sneaking part lets you and your teammates crouch or go prone to make maximum use of cover, and steady their aim; using the analog stick to move also means you can tiptoe around if needed. As for the shooting, 30 different weapons are available including silenced SMGs, sniper rifles, grenades and mines. A default loadout is issued for each mission that is usually adequate, or you can configure equipment loadouts manually to fit the mission and your style of play. Although your view is initially third-person, you can zoom into first person view or zoom further into scope or night vision mode depending on your equipment."

"Because you will usually be outnumbered, stealth is key to most missions; you have to keep your eyes peeled for sentries, plan your routes carefully and above all, SOCOM demands you work as a team. For example, you can use Bravo element to cover you and Boomer as you advance, then you return the favour. Your team AI is clever enough to deal with most situations and threats (dependent on what orders you have issued) and report back accordingly giving you a good sense of 'knowing the battlefield'. Accordingly the enemies aren't dumb either, responding to attacks and noise, taking cover, lobbing grenades and generally letting the world and his wife know you're there. These CPU terrorists will not be going down without a fight."

From what I can tell, SOCOM will be an emense multiplayer game played using the Network Adapter, but the single player game provides an indepth gaming experience for those of us who dont have the ability to play online yet.
The features of the USB headset I like the sound of the most so far, being able to shout commands at CPU controlled playes is excellent and should immerse you further into the gaming world unlike anything done before.

What are your comments about this game?
Are you getting it? What for, the multiplayer or single player aspects?

I personally cant wait for this game and am glad to hear that the single player is going to be as rewarding as the multiplayer action. Also, to hear the USB headset will come in handy for this option is a blessing in camolfauge...

(Post hear about the game and also if your lucky enough to take part in the trials, comment on gaming aspects and features etc. when you finally have a chance to play the game.)
Sun 06/04/03 at 13:44
After hearing that people have been chosen to take part in the Network trials for the new Sony Network Adapter and such I am so eagily awaiting it myself. But being one of the unlucky few who haven't got Broadband yet and unable to take part in the said trials or neither the actual network gaming when and if it finally begins, I was disappointed at the fact of not being able to play one of the titles I am bursting to play.
With a little research, my luck was in. I found out that SOCOM will have a healthy single-player mode aswell as the Multiplayer-online gaming feature.

The game will be launched with the PS2 network adapter and also comes with the valuable USB headset, useful for both single and multiplayer modes (explained more below).
The multiplayer game is only available for online play via the Network Adaptor, whereas the single player option is much like any other game, played on your PS2.

Extract from uk.playstation.com

"Thankfully in addition to its online abilities, SOCOM comes fully armed with challenging missions, robust computer allies and enemies and a groundbreaking voice-recognition system via the USB headset."

"In the single-player game, you take the role of a SEAL, call-sign Kahuna, commander of an elite four-man SEAL contingent. Like Ghost Recon, the team is broken into two elements, Able and Bravo, with the lead element (Able) consisting of you and your partner Boomer, backed up by Jester and Spectre in Bravo element. Your mission is to head into enemy territory through 12 challenging missions and to give no quarter to international terrorism. Missions range from information retrieval and reconnaissance, to demolition and hostage rescue, and take place across five very different environments. You and your team will be fighting through the jungles of the Congo, the ancient ruins of Thailand, the deserts of Turkmenistan, snowbound Alaska and a number of industrial levels such as oil-rigs and cargo ships. The levels are varied in both time of day and weather and are graphically lush with lots of detailed touches - such as collapsed statues, burnt out cars, bomb craters - that not only look nice but also offer somewhere to take cover. "

"Sound is also very important in SOCOM and thankfully nicely done. As well as authentic bangs and ker-clicks that Guns & Ammo subscribers get off on, listening to the environment can be as important as taking out an enemy sniper. Be careful of your footsteps and walk slowly - the rustle of grass, creak of wood or crunch of snow could give away your position and send you home in a bag. By the same token, keep your ears open for the sound of any heavy-footed enemies. A handy visual indicator around your crosshairs will tip you off to direction of any noises you hear. "

"Talking of using your ears, the groovy SOCOM headset isn't just for discussing camouflage fashion tips with your fellow gamers in multiplayer games; it is also expertly put to use in the single player game. Without the headset, a quick press of the circle button opens a series of drop down menus to order your whole team or each element individually. A few swift button presses lets you issue orders. Put the headset on, and if you don't mind barking commands like "Bravo: run to crosshairs", "Able: deploy satchel charge" or "Team: fire at will" then your artificial men will follow your orders."

"The voice orders follow the same structure as the menu orders (who, what, where), so you just press and hold Circle and state, for example: "Bravo [who]: run to [what], crosshairs [where]". Your gruff teammates will then act on your orders, and just like the real deal they'll confirm verbally right in your headset, not via the TV speaker. How brilliant is that? It may not sound like much, but it does immerse you that much more in the whole experience. The environmental sound effects (gunfire, weather effects, footsteps, etc.) come from the TV but all team chatter and radio messages from SOCOM (Special Operations COMmand) are covertly piped directly into your lughole."

"As well as nattering, you and your team are pretty darn skilled at what you're trained for - sneaking and shooting. The sneaking part lets you and your teammates crouch or go prone to make maximum use of cover, and steady their aim; using the analog stick to move also means you can tiptoe around if needed. As for the shooting, 30 different weapons are available including silenced SMGs, sniper rifles, grenades and mines. A default loadout is issued for each mission that is usually adequate, or you can configure equipment loadouts manually to fit the mission and your style of play. Although your view is initially third-person, you can zoom into first person view or zoom further into scope or night vision mode depending on your equipment."

"Because you will usually be outnumbered, stealth is key to most missions; you have to keep your eyes peeled for sentries, plan your routes carefully and above all, SOCOM demands you work as a team. For example, you can use Bravo element to cover you and Boomer as you advance, then you return the favour. Your team AI is clever enough to deal with most situations and threats (dependent on what orders you have issued) and report back accordingly giving you a good sense of 'knowing the battlefield'. Accordingly the enemies aren't dumb either, responding to attacks and noise, taking cover, lobbing grenades and generally letting the world and his wife know you're there. These CPU terrorists will not be going down without a fight."

From what I can tell, SOCOM will be an emense multiplayer game played using the Network Adapter, but the single player game provides an indepth gaming experience for those of us who dont have the ability to play online yet.
The features of the USB headset I like the sound of the most so far, being able to shout commands at CPU controlled playes is excellent and should immerse you further into the gaming world unlike anything done before.

What are your comments about this game?
Are you getting it? What for, the multiplayer or single player aspects?

I personally cant wait for this game and am glad to hear that the single player is going to be as rewarding as the multiplayer action. Also, to hear the USB headset will come in handy for this option is a blessing in camolfauge...

(Post hear about the game and also if your lucky enough to take part in the trials, comment on gaming aspects and features etc. when you finally have a chance to play the game.)
Sun 06/04/03 at 15:01
Regular
"Touched!"
I will be taking part in the online trials, SOCOM does look a good game and i can't wait to see how well the headset features work, i should be able to buy my pack for £40 from tomorrow, so i could be playing it as early as next week hopefully, looks very promising! i thought that sony were just going to keep saying the online was coming but finally they have delivered it, hopefully we will get more games with online play in the next few months!
Sun 06/04/03 at 17:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Single player mode sounds easier:

"Bravo! destroy door, enter enemy base, kill hostiles!"
"Yessir!"

Online player mode:

"Killah345! Destroy door, enter enemy base, kill hostiles!"
"Sec, phone's ringing here."
"Erm, OK, SolidSnake28 you do it!"
"What was the order again?"
"Destroy door, enter enemy base, kill hostiles!"
"No way dude! I could get shot!!"
"Don't worry, we'll cover you."
"No way man. I ain't getting shot for nobody"
"Trust us, we're all on the same side here."
"Nope."
"OK then, I'll do it..."

*Loud exploision, screams and shouts, followed by the rattle of small arms fire*

"Killah345! Was that you I hit?????"
"Yeah, soz, I was on the phone..."
"Where's SolidSnake28????"
"I think he got killed by a flying door."
"SolidSnake28 come in. Snake? SNAKE?? SNAAAAAAAAKE!!!"

etc.

Can't wait. Apparently all those in the trials eventually receive a free copy of the full version of the game once the trial is complete. (The version we get for the trials is online play mode only). This HAS to be a good thing.
Sun 06/04/03 at 20:47
Regular
"  "
*Sniffle*
Sun 06/04/03 at 21:01
Regular
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> *Sniffle*

You gotta think laterally.

[HINT]

Did you know that signups for the Network Trials are still open on the other European sites? How's your French or German?

Maybe you could sign up on all of them, hope to get at least one acceptance, then claim you moved to England at the last minute and would they mind delivering your Network Adaptor kit to your new address.

[/HINT]
Sun 06/04/03 at 23:01
FantasyMeister wrote:
> "Killah345! Destroy door, enter enemy base, kill
> hostiles!"
> "Sec, phone's ringing here."
> "Erm, OK, SolidSnake28 you do it!"
> "What was the order again?"
> "Destroy door, enter enemy base, kill hostiles!"
> "No way dude! I could get shot!!"
> "Don't worry, we'll cover you."
> "No way man. I ain't getting shot for nobody"
> "Trust us, we're all on the same side here."
> "Nope."
> "OK then, I'll do it..."
>
> *Loud exploision, screams and shouts, followed by the rattle of small
> arms fire*
>
> "Killah345! Was that you I hit?????"
> "Yeah, soz, I was on the phone..."
> "Where's SolidSnake28????"
> "I think he got killed by a flying door."
> "SolidSnake28 come in. Snake? SNAKE?? SNAAAAAAAAKE!!!"

Sounds fun! :)
Mon 07/04/03 at 15:10
When do these network trials start now? Anytime soon?
Mon 07/04/03 at 16:32
Regular
Within the next 7 days.

This is based on:

I had an e-mail from Sony asking me to order the Network Gaming Trial kit today, and it takes up to 7 days to deliver :)
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:48
Regular
"  "
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Nå†ßu© wrote:
> *Sniffle*
>
> You gotta think laterally.
>
> [HINT]
>
> Did you know that signups for the Network Trials are still open on the
> other European sites? How's your French or German?
>
> Maybe you could sign up on all of them, hope to get at least one
> acceptance, then claim you moved to England at the last minute and
> would they mind delivering your Network Adaptor kit to your new
> address.
>
> [/HINT]

Hah, not a bad idea. Still waiting to see if anyone turns down the trials and let me jump in. You never know... :)
Tue 08/04/03 at 12:03
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I'm actually pretty excited about online gaming, but unfortunately didn't get selected for the trials.... :(

I'm actually more interested in, say, Midnight Club 2 than Socom, as the team based element - apparantly key to the game - could be ruined by infair tactics, people cheating or simply not working together....

I remain to be convinced on this one.

Keep us updated on how it goes!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.