GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats This Music Thing All About Then?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/11/01 at 18:28
Regular
See...

Books I get...

Ignoring any moral messages they may contain... forgetting any philisophical, socialogocal, political ideas they may present... Just as meadium purly providing entertainment a good book can involve you in another world, allow you to experience the events, adventures and emotions of the protagonist... A book can make you laugh out loud on the tube, make you scared of the dark during your lunch break, and make you feel as weary as if you have travelled miles whilst sitting in bed... A good book can make the world in the words feel more real than that of your everyday...

Books are fun... Its easy to see why people find them entertaining...

That which films provide through a couple of reels of celuloid and a half-decent sound track is obscene (well, most of those in SR's DVD chart are anyway :) )... In the space of about an hour and a half they can provide you with storys which inspire your imagination, tug at your heart strings, allow you to enjoy watching large numbers of people getting killed without having to feel guilty about it and require you to change your underwear, either as a result of fear or laughter... Films present characters, who, you know, dont exist outside the movie, but who you can beleve are real, whos actions you care about, whos decisions you sympathise with, and whos adventures always manage to keep your eyes stuck to the screen, despite knowing from the start the they guy in black will lose, beating by the guy in white.

Films are cool... Definite entertainment value...

See, what confuses me, is music...

Whats all that about then? ...

Taking away any thoughts, ideas, messages, music may present... Ignoring any/all attraction the image of a style of music may have that attracts you to it... stripping it down to its essential components... What is it that makes music 'entertaining'?

Now, you could say its the repetitive rythmic beats, the hook of the chourus? ... But is that really it?

I can see a few people saying that the lyrics definie the entertainment of music... But this doesnt explain the popularity of Blue, Robbie Williams, Atomic Kitten, Atomic Ant Farm, etc... Theres nothing in those lyrics... not that their not cool for cats, Im not trying to have a go... Its just I cant see a new world order being inspired by N'Syncs latest chart topper...

So what is it that makes music, something which is so abstract, essentially primitive, but which can provoke the worst lifestyle and fashion choices than scientology could ever hope to, cause couple to want 'their song', provike an emotional responce from the first couple of chords...

Why is it that music can become one of, if not the biggest form of mass entertainment on the planet.

Whats so entertaining about music?
Thu 29/11/01 at 15:28
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Craw wrote:
Why would you
> take away the thoughts/ideas/messages from music?. Thats like a book with no
> plot or a film with no characters.

Not at all... '1984' without a message still has a story...

Look at Harry Potter... Thats get by without attempting to change your life philosphy...

Its the same with movies... Any Arnold Shwarzenegger film is devoid of meaning... but they can still be fun to watch...

Equally the same goes for most pop songs... a lot of the time, the lyrics dont even make sense... And this is the music the majority of people are buying...

I love books with depth, understanding, that make me question where I am, where I'm going and how I'm getting there... But I also like trash... And I'm trying to say that with books (or films) wrther deep or throwaway, its easy to define why it can be seen as such a popular form of entertainment...

This is why I was trying to remove any messages, or heartfelt ideas, so that I could attempt to target music as an entity, a form of entertainment, I wasnt looking to find out why you like specific style (Indie, Pop, Punk, etc...) or why a certain musician or track has influenced you or your life...

I was wondering what it is that makes 'music' such a popular form of entertainment...
Thu 29/11/01 at 15:23
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Plus music can attach itself in your memories. Apparently if you are doing revision to certain music and then you listen to that again at a certain time, it can spark memories off and help you remember facts, etc.

I still think of a bad relationship when I hear "Creep" by Radiohead. Certain songs just capture your mood and strike a chord. If you haven't had that, you're listening to the wrong type of music! Music is like alcohol, it can accentuate your mood. But it can also completely change your mood. Some tunes can drag you right down, but others can put you on such a high it is brilliant.

Just keep searching....
Thu 29/11/01 at 12:55
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Its all about feeling, being moved.

Have you never had the hairs stand up on the back of your neck or goosebumps when listening to music?

Why would you take away the thoughts/ideas/messages from music?. Thats like a book with no plot or a film with no characters.

Maybe you just haven't heard the right song yet.
Thu 29/11/01 at 11:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Tricky Nikki wrote:
> You see you have this thing called a CD/Tape Player and when you press the play
> button music comes out and you start to groove to the music. Books are cool as
> well but you could listeb to music and read a book at the same time.

All very exciting pieces of advice... But it doesnt really answer the question though huh? :)
Wed 28/11/01 at 18:54
Music is a fascinating thing. Lyrics can be so powerful and effective. Some you can relate to and others just contain a strong message, Take Feeder's "Sweet 16" for example. But if you don't wanna take lyrics into account, the actual music itself can be great too. Some of it makes me so emotional. An orchestral piece called "Safe Place" gives a brilliant sense of security, "Yesterday Went Too Soon" by Feeder shows peace, and "Insomnia" by Feeder is an ultimate mood lifter.

Trust me, music is one of the greatest experiences known to mankind.
Wed 28/11/01 at 18:31
You see you have this thing called a CD/Tape Player and when you press the play button music comes out and you start to groove to the music. Books are cool as well but you could listeb to music and read a book at the same time.
Wed 28/11/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
See...

Books I get...

Ignoring any moral messages they may contain... forgetting any philisophical, socialogocal, political ideas they may present... Just as meadium purly providing entertainment a good book can involve you in another world, allow you to experience the events, adventures and emotions of the protagonist... A book can make you laugh out loud on the tube, make you scared of the dark during your lunch break, and make you feel as weary as if you have travelled miles whilst sitting in bed... A good book can make the world in the words feel more real than that of your everyday...

Books are fun... Its easy to see why people find them entertaining...

That which films provide through a couple of reels of celuloid and a half-decent sound track is obscene (well, most of those in SR's DVD chart are anyway :) )... In the space of about an hour and a half they can provide you with storys which inspire your imagination, tug at your heart strings, allow you to enjoy watching large numbers of people getting killed without having to feel guilty about it and require you to change your underwear, either as a result of fear or laughter... Films present characters, who, you know, dont exist outside the movie, but who you can beleve are real, whos actions you care about, whos decisions you sympathise with, and whos adventures always manage to keep your eyes stuck to the screen, despite knowing from the start the they guy in black will lose, beating by the guy in white.

Films are cool... Definite entertainment value...

See, what confuses me, is music...

Whats all that about then? ...

Taking away any thoughts, ideas, messages, music may present... Ignoring any/all attraction the image of a style of music may have that attracts you to it... stripping it down to its essential components... What is it that makes music 'entertaining'?

Now, you could say its the repetitive rythmic beats, the hook of the chourus? ... But is that really it?

I can see a few people saying that the lyrics definie the entertainment of music... But this doesnt explain the popularity of Blue, Robbie Williams, Atomic Kitten, Atomic Ant Farm, etc... Theres nothing in those lyrics... not that their not cool for cats, Im not trying to have a go... Its just I cant see a new world order being inspired by N'Syncs latest chart topper...

So what is it that makes music, something which is so abstract, essentially primitive, but which can provoke the worst lifestyle and fashion choices than scientology could ever hope to, cause couple to want 'their song', provike an emotional responce from the first couple of chords...

Why is it that music can become one of, if not the biggest form of mass entertainment on the planet.

Whats so entertaining about music?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.