GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is £100,000 enough to change your life?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/07 at 10:04
Regular
ALMOST two-thirds of Britons believe it would take a windfall of at least �100,000 to make a difference to their life, research today indicated.

A survey by National Savings and Investments (NS&I) found that 62 per cent of UK adults think a six figure sum would be needed to have a tangible impact on their lifestyle.

Amid the rising cost of funding a lavish existence, one in ten respondents said a windfall of �2million or more would be needed before they would really notice the difference.

At the other end of the scale, just 6 per cent of people would be satisfied with a �1,000 windfall, the survey of more than 2,000 people found.

Men tended to be the greedier sex, with 67 per cent wanting more than �100,000 to improve their lifestyle compared to 58 per cent of women.

NS&I said the figures reflected a change in spending habits and expectations with more UK consumers regularly treating themselves to luxuries.

But rather than sparking a spending spree more Britons would use a windfall to get their bank balances back into the black, research found.

...continued

----

Hmm £100,000 is a lot but is it enough? How many Mercedes-Benz SLR McLarens could I get?

It's enough for a small house but the location wouldnt be great and you'll probably have to invest the rest to fix it up.

I could put it all into a savings account which would earn me £4750.39 in the first year. That's not really going to fun a lavish lifestyle but would certainly pay for a couple of nice holidays.

Talking of holidays I suppose you could spend it all travelling around the world. That'd be fun and take you a couple of years I imagine.

I think if you really wanted to invest it, you should go for a property. Then either live in it or better yet, rent it. Sell it off in a couple of years and hopefully your £100,000 has almost doubled.

Knowing you lot you'd probably want to spend it all here and now. Lots of games? Lots of DVDs? Big HD TV? A new car? Perhaps a new computer with a 24MB broadband connection?

Maybe a new wheelchair for Timmargh. Years supply of twix for @ngel, life time supply of beer for Smedlos. A one way ticket to China for Kawada. Life size dalek and K9 for pb. 8800GTX for Chipp. You get the idea =)

So what would you guys do with £100,000 and would it change your life?
Sun 24/06/07 at 20:56
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Phaw!

£100,000 is deemed an insignificant windfall merely due to the fact that people have no idea whatsoever how to manage money. We all seem to be struggling to make ends meet. Yet we burn money wrecklessly on 'essential serices' like Sky Movies and iTunes, we burn energy like it will last forever and then lament the bills when they land on the doormat.

33-50% of all food bought winds up being landfilled, we buy products to replace those we already have, not because they need replacing, but because the producers of such goods instill in us a need to remain in step with consumable fashion.

It is because of this idiocy in which we willingly wallow, the stupefying vapidity that is our mass misconception of funds prioritisation that implies that a truly life-altering sum such as £100,000 is sneered and mocked. We point at propoerty prices, the 'cost' of living, and globalisation eating away at our money like a disease, when in reality, we ought to be looking a little closer to home.
Wed 30/05/07 at 17:15
"possibly impossible"
DoomBaboon1982 wrote:
> £100,000 would be just dandy. It would take a large bite
> out of my mortgage. This means I could continue it over the same
> period but just pay much, much less every month. I suppose the
> money it frees up isn't exactly huge but enough to go on as many
> drinking sessions, holidays, gigs as i want, not worry about
> unexpected bills etc and buy things when I want them. I suppose
> for me life changing money isn't about the "Bling"
> lifestyle but the increase in the everyday standard of life.
> Less pressure and more choice can make a difference to your
> whole attitude.

I agree, I'm in the same situation, though for holidays and gigs, read kids clothes, toys, parks (and the odd treat for me and the wife). £100,000 would pay off what's left on our mortgage, actually (just), but we'd be tempted to get a bigger house (here, if not in Spain) as it would make life a little easier as the kids grow and need more space.
Wed 30/05/07 at 15:57
Regular
I think there was a T.V program which did that for a while and it was rubbish. Probably due to lame T.V friendly ideas. Now pay people to do sick, disgusting, reckless things.... thats where the money is.
Wed 30/05/07 at 15:32
Regular
I'd go around paying people to do stupid things, I'd film the results and market it. Then I'd buy a TV and 360.
Wed 30/05/07 at 15:30
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm not much of a spender so a lot of it would probably be put away until I really needed it. Either that or I'd help my family out.
Wed 30/05/07 at 15:20
Regular
£100,000 would be just dandy. It would take a large bite out of my mortgage. This means I could continue it over the same period but just pay much, much less every month. I suppose the money it frees up isn't exactly huge but enough to go on as many drinking sessions, holidays, gigs as i want, not worry about unexpected bills etc and buy things when I want them. I suppose for me life changing money isn't about the "Bling" lifestyle but the increase in the everyday standard of life. Less pressure and more choice can make a difference to your whole attitude.
Wed 30/05/07 at 15:01
Regular
Well if I already had my own house it'd pay off the mortage and any outstanding bills nicely.. after that I suppose it'd be an unecessary car/tv/pc upgrade with the rest going into a savings account :)
Wed 30/05/07 at 14:22
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Machie wrote:
> A one way ticket to China for Kawada.

Indeedy, 100,000 would definitely change my life as it'd be a huge sum of cash over in China, i could live like a King and amass my Chinese army to take over the world
Wed 30/05/07 at 14:13
Regular
"Laughingstock"
In a word: yes.
It would buy me a room, and my life would descend into something not unlike Silent Hill 4.
Wed 30/05/07 at 13:09
Regular
"Twenty quid."
pb wrote:
> If only they'd invented mech style wheelchairs by now. Like a
> smaller version of the loaders on Aliens. Think of all the
> add-ons you could have.
>
> I'm sure the technology is there, if the Japanese got their act
> together instead of making dancing robots, they could design a
> robot frame to hold someone and let them walk.

Haha, I've said that since I saw Aliens many years ago.

Seriously, though, there have been some experimental exo-skeletans made and tested from a metal framework attached at various points of the body (wrists, ankles, hips etc.) to a suit with air pockets that inflated and deflated as it detected various muscle contractions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.