GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dreamcast vs PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/08/00 at 15:11
Regular
In the next few months there are going to be ripples all the way through the gaming community, what with the arrival of the PS2 on shelves in Britain. But those people out there at Camp Dreamcast are going to have to get used to the up and coming competition which there is bound to be between Dreamcast and PS2. I myself have a Dreamcast and I am impressed by the quality of the games overall and the graphics that it renders. Yes the Dreamcast does also have the internet, but when PS2 comes out will this feature be enough to save it from falling into the bottomless pit of other failed consoles and game systems, such as the Game Gear, Jaguar, Neo Geo Pocket, Saturn and the CDI. The PS2 has the usual ability to play games, obviousely, music CDs, as well as the Dreamcast, and also has the special feature of being able to play DVDs. But I am wondering whether it is possible to have a great games machine and a fantastic DVD player all in one for just £299, this is a lot but a seperate DVD player and console would cost far more than this, so how are Sony making the console for a so much more cheap price than this, are they comprimising on other features such as the most important part of all, ability to play great games? I also feel that when you buy a new console, it is things such as a new shaped controller with perhaps more buttons, that makes a new console really feel new, after all the N64 wouldn't have the same feel if Nintendo had kept the controller of the NES. This is something which I feel Sony have not spent enough time on, which leads me to believe that attention to detail has not been carried out in other areas of the console. I am not saying Dreamcast is perfect, and I am not ruling out that the PS2 will be as successful as the Playstation, but I am going to stick with Dreamcast until I have a chance to test the Playstation 2. This is unimportant but the Playstation 2 really is the most ugly piece of equipment I have seen for a long while
Thu 24/08/00 at 15:11
In the next few months there are going to be ripples all the way through the gaming community, what with the arrival of the PS2 on shelves in Britain. But those people out there at Camp Dreamcast are going to have to get used to the up and coming competition which there is bound to be between Dreamcast and PS2. I myself have a Dreamcast and I am impressed by the quality of the games overall and the graphics that it renders. Yes the Dreamcast does also have the internet, but when PS2 comes out will this feature be enough to save it from falling into the bottomless pit of other failed consoles and game systems, such as the Game Gear, Jaguar, Neo Geo Pocket, Saturn and the CDI. The PS2 has the usual ability to play games, obviousely, music CDs, as well as the Dreamcast, and also has the special feature of being able to play DVDs. But I am wondering whether it is possible to have a great games machine and a fantastic DVD player all in one for just £299, this is a lot but a seperate DVD player and console would cost far more than this, so how are Sony making the console for a so much more cheap price than this, are they comprimising on other features such as the most important part of all, ability to play great games? I also feel that when you buy a new console, it is things such as a new shaped controller with perhaps more buttons, that makes a new console really feel new, after all the N64 wouldn't have the same feel if Nintendo had kept the controller of the NES. This is something which I feel Sony have not spent enough time on, which leads me to believe that attention to detail has not been carried out in other areas of the console. I am not saying Dreamcast is perfect, and I am not ruling out that the PS2 will be as successful as the Playstation, but I am going to stick with Dreamcast until I have a chance to test the Playstation 2. This is unimportant but the Playstation 2 really is the most ugly piece of equipment I have seen for a long while
Thu 24/08/00 at 17:57
Regular
The term 80's video player comes to mind. I agree with the fact that the controller must be new, and will feel different. Take the difference between the Saturn and Dreamcast (or Megadrive and Dreamcast) Sega, the black corporation, suddenly to everyones surprise, went white. The controller is also much more comfy. (Have you seen N-cubes controller, preetty sweet I thinks) Personnaly I think the greatest console was the Master System, but what do I know?
Thu 24/08/00 at 19:26
If this included Nintendo, I'd say Nintendo are going to win this new chapter in the console wars!

BUT this is about who will win out of Sony and Sega!

Quite simple really: SEGA!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.