GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"is it a rocket car? is it a meteor? NO, it's the development of games!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/04/03 at 22:14
Regular
............hehe, took ages to think of that

before you go off and play your UT2k3 or your Splinter cell, or perhaps your Halo, stop and think about how many able minds have been rounded up to develop games. heck, if those minds were put to search for beneficial discoveries, we'd be able to find a pot noodle that doesnt stain clothes, or maybe a spray that KILLS bee's, instead of just making them break dance and twitch, or anything stupid or dumb like dat.

in 1989, the best thing you could get was a sega mega drive. 16-bit was cutting edge back then, and nearly all games were 2D platformers involving wacky characters and wierd noises. if you went back even further you'd be able to find games like manic miner or donkey kong - 256 color games with VERY wierd blips and beeps as sounds.
now it's 2003, and most games are simply a show of technology and visual immersion, and a route for average, non-special people to gain graphical enlightenment, if only for a little while.

(right now i look at an empty can of diet coke, and im thinking "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................man im thirsty")

these things are all took for granted, but there's nothing morally wrong about that is there?

or is there?..............

*dun dun dun dunnnnnnnn*
Tue 15/04/03 at 20:22
Regular
well yeah, i suppose 16 bit is used a lot now, but it looks so much better on 32-bit, dont you agree?
Tue 15/04/03 at 20:14
Regular
danieldone wrote:
> lol... that title is soo poor its "almost" funny,
> congrats!

EY, that took ages to think of!!!

*runs away crying*
Tue 15/04/03 at 20:13
Regular
WickedWare wrote:
> I love (real-time combat) RPGs

yeah, i love rocket propelled grenades too *joke, as if you need telling*

the best RPG i've ever played is prob. FFVIII, though thats the ONLY game ive played and completed, and that was on psONE too
Sat 12/04/03 at 13:54
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I ment "Retina" in that post
Sat 12/04/03 at 13:46
Regular
"where's my tag?"
16-bit rocks! Take the Game Boy Advance for instance. Ok, so it's supposed to be 32-bit, but the games on the system are no better than the 16-bit era. So 16-bit rocks!

I love (quality) platformers, I love (real-time combat) RPGs, I love driving games, and I love them all being powered on a 16-bit console!

The lack of graphical effects and polish from the old era just means that your brain does all the special 'rendering', and all the 3D polygons are created in your head. This is called "your emagination". While today, everything is just there, handed to your reterner on a plate. And I think some of the excitement and adventure has been lost due to this. Ever sinse polygons came alone, it has been more easy to make a poor game. 16-bit rocks!
Fri 11/04/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Nobody Home"
lol... that title is soo poor its "almost" funny, congrats!

Yes, game devel has gone on a bit since 1989... except megadrive, but that was actually first realeased 1988 in Japan, just thought I better correct that. And whats wrong with the megadrive... or the commador(64???). I used to play on both and they were great, some games were better than some of the later games out now (IGI2, ahem).

And 16bit is still amazing... isnt it???
Sun 06/04/03 at 22:14
Regular
............hehe, took ages to think of that

before you go off and play your UT2k3 or your Splinter cell, or perhaps your Halo, stop and think about how many able minds have been rounded up to develop games. heck, if those minds were put to search for beneficial discoveries, we'd be able to find a pot noodle that doesnt stain clothes, or maybe a spray that KILLS bee's, instead of just making them break dance and twitch, or anything stupid or dumb like dat.

in 1989, the best thing you could get was a sega mega drive. 16-bit was cutting edge back then, and nearly all games were 2D platformers involving wacky characters and wierd noises. if you went back even further you'd be able to find games like manic miner or donkey kong - 256 color games with VERY wierd blips and beeps as sounds.
now it's 2003, and most games are simply a show of technology and visual immersion, and a route for average, non-special people to gain graphical enlightenment, if only for a little while.

(right now i look at an empty can of diet coke, and im thinking "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................man im thirsty")

these things are all took for granted, but there's nothing morally wrong about that is there?

or is there?..............

*dun dun dun dunnnnnnnn*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.