GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linux on a console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/03 at 16:09
Regular
Can some one please explain to me why running Linux on a console (you can run it on PS2 and XBox) is so great? How does this effect the games? Whats the point to it?
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Brrrrr."
HalloHowArtThou wrote:
> PS2 and XBox aren't open source
>
> ZBox was hacked by someone known as 'Habibi-XBox'
>
> Habibi in arabic means 'My love'

Ohhhh. spooky...
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:46
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Getting Linux to boot on an Xbox means you get a very cheap, quite powerful Linux PC partially paid for by Microsoft :O)
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:42
"slightlyshortertagl"
PS2 and XBox aren't open source

ZBox was hacked by someone known as 'Habibi-XBox'

Habibi in arabic means 'My love'
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:36
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Hang on - if it runs Linux...

...the penguins are coming to get me!

*runs*
Mon 07/04/03 at 16:26
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Updated wrote:
> Hold on a minute:- Since when did PS2 or XBox go Open source? I mean
> Sony & MS won't release critical base code which is needed to run
> certain software to the public. Effectively, such parts are limited to
> the design teams/publishers, so only they can produce games. And whats
> the point if a "Linux home kit" allows access to only 75% of
> the features or power?

No idea about the answers to any of your questions to be honest as I'm not a Linux hobbyist myself, nor am I up on the source issues for the PS2 or XBox. Best thing I can do is give you the link to the Linux Kit for the PS2, you may find more details there (it's got further links in the article to the Linux community websites which are a wealth of info):

http://uk.playstation.com/hardware/ (space) linux_hardware.jhtml?linktype=NAV
Mon 07/04/03 at 16:19
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> It means you can create your own PS2 games with the PS2 Linux kit.
> And for Linux hobbyists (aka Geeks of the Future) that's a great
> thing.

Hold on a minute:- Since when did PS2 or XBox go Open source? I mean Sony & MS won't release critical base code which is needed to run certain software to the public. Effectively, such parts are limited to the design teams/publishers, so only they can produce games. And whats the point if a "Linux home kit" allows access to only 75% of the features or power?
Mon 07/04/03 at 16:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It means you can create your own PS2 games with the PS2 Linux kit. And for Linux hobbyists (aka Geeks of the Future) that's a great thing.
Mon 07/04/03 at 16:09
Regular
Can some one please explain to me why running Linux on a console (you can run it on PS2 and XBox) is so great? How does this effect the games? Whats the point to it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.